Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Earthquake - Italy

Earthquake - Italy

Old Oct 31st 2016, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake - Italy

Did anyone see the BBC news report when they interviewed a lady called Janet Fullerlove who was in the earthquake. She was telling how they have been following this guy on youtube and because of him they were able to go to their mayor and warn him. Consequently lives were saved. This guy is amazing and he has a facebook page and a youtube channel. He has predicted these quakes and by the sound of it , as Lorna says, unfortunately we are not yet out of the woods. I'm slightly worried as he has mentioned that the pressure will move up north towards Turin. Now I dont want to alarm anyone - but I think his motto (which is Dont be scared, be prepared ! ) is sound advice. If anyone is interested you can follow him (in English and he has just set up an italian channel). His name is Dutchsinse. If anyone wants me to post the bbc clip I can try.
Also if you go on the INGV.it website and look at the list of quakes - Perugia and Macerata have had something like 600 quakes in the last 5 days. It is truly shocking.
Pica and anyone else in those areas - stay strong.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
Did anyone see the BBC news report when they interviewed a lady called Janet Fullerlove who was in the earthquake. She was telling how they have been following this guy on youtube and because of him they were able to go to their mayor and warn him. Consequently lives were saved. This guy is amazing and he has a facebook page and a youtube channel. He has predicted these quakes and by the sound of it , as Lorna says, unfortunately we are not yet out of the woods. I'm slightly worried as he has mentioned that the pressure will move up north towards Turin. Now I dont want to alarm anyone - but I think his motto (which is Dont be scared, be prepared ! ) is sound advice. If anyone is interested you can follow him (in English and he has just set up an italian channel). His name is Dutchsinse. If anyone wants me to post the bbc clip I can try.
Also if you go on the INGV.it website and look at the list of quakes - Perugia and Macerata have had something like 600 quakes in the last 5 days. It is truly shocking.
Thank you Patty for the info re Dutchsinse. lots of reading to do now. Karma
Old Oct 31st 2016, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Must be incredibly draining to have to live with the stress of never knowing whether the earth is going to shake every day and whether the next one might bring your house down. I can't imagine anyone in that region can have slept more months. I don't think I could cope with the uncertainty.
I think it's the happening of 3 in the last week that has really frightened people who aren't in the direct areas of the earthquakes. I know for sure that all of my senses are super heightened at the moment, I listen for noises, stupidly watch the sky and the behaviour of our cats but am mostly constantly waiting for those trembles from my feet on the ground. We are waiting for the next and have prepared an emergency bag should we need to flee the house. But really i don't think we'll need to.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes INGV site here is hard to get on when a quake happens, too many people perhaps? There are two other site USGS and EMSC which seem easier to access at those times. I'm not too sure how they all get different strength readings, but someone did hint no money was paid out if less than 6 (or was it 6.1) , call me a cynic...
Old Oct 31st 2016, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Sometimes INGV site here is hard to get on when a quake happens, too many people perhaps? There are two other site USGS and EMSC which seem easier to access at those times. I'm not too sure how they all get different strength readings, but someone did hint no money was paid out if less than 6 (or was it 6.1) , call me a cynic...
You might be onto something! I was watching Rai on Sunday morning and the strength of the quake kept going down like the value of the pound. Taking into account that the scale is logarithmic its strange they make such mistakes.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, but I'd prefer not to have the theory tested in real life..
Old Nov 1st 2016, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Caprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really niceCaprihana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patty
A huge thank you for sharing the details Patty.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

There was a piece on Sky ( sorry its only in italian ) that explained why initial reports may quote estimates and that it takes up to 30 minutes to have an accurate reading of the data .
The first readings also drive the the reaction of the emergency services and the civil protection groups .

Terremoti, perché il dato sulla magnitudo può cambiare | Sky TG24 .
Old Nov 1st 2016, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future

What a time to move!

We are staying in a house sit, near San Ginesio at the moment waiting for our atto next Monday. We have been here for the recent tremors, at first not quite sure what to do but now is a state of readiness to exit the house should another biggy come along.

The house, and our new house which is another 30km or so away from the earthquake area, are recent, well-built renovations with no damage reported so far other than some possible hairline cracks in plaster, but we have seen heart-breaking photos of houses belonging to both locals and ex-pats in a terrible state. Even this far away from Norcia, the damage to older properties is extensive. San Ginesio was evacuated on Sunday, we understand our local village Ripe San Ginesio has also been evacuated and closed.

We are getting used to fairly regular rumbles but we are only feeling a slight swaying from 3.5+ and a bit of a thud from 4+. We had a 4.7 this morning which developed into a 4 second rumble. We were primed, ready to go but it didn't develop into anything more significant. We are also only feeling those tremors from the Norcia area (although this mornings tremor was quite a bit further north, near Acquacanina, about 25km away). So, we are affected by relatively few of the tremors reported on GS websites which report everything of geological interest. Most are below 3 which are "mostly imperceptible or weak". There has been one tremor over 4 in the last 24 hours and eight in the previous 24 hours.

It could be better but it isn't as bad as some of the websites might suggest.

We feel for those who have lost their homes, 15,000+ is being reported, and don't wish to diminish the terrible situation but we are living relatively normally and still looking forward to being in our new house. We may be stupid or naïve!
Old Nov 1st 2016, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

This link has just been posted on another forum and it gives a very good account of why the different values occur and that the "magnitude" is not used for compensation purposes, buy the "intensity" value is... AR just make sure you check the new house before you sign the Atto! Someone we know bought the day after L'Aquilla and did not check, much to their regret. I'm sure it must be a worry, but it's a beautiful country and we would still do the same today as we did 6 years back.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future

This link has just been posted on another forum and it gives a very good account of why the different values occur and that the "magnitude" is not used for compensation purposes, buy the "intensity" value is... AR just make sure you check the new house before you sign the Atto! Someone we know bought the day after L'Aquilla and did not check, much to their regret. I'm sure it must be a worry, but it's a beautiful country and we would still do the same today as we did 6 years back.
Yes, sorting that! We have been told that everything is fine but then they would say that, wouldn't they!
Old Nov 1st 2016, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Of course they would ! you need to be hyperalert. Don't sign anything until you're 100% sure that the property is safe
Old Nov 1st 2016, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yup, I am aware of someone who made this mistake, lost a packet.