Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

In ear Italian translator from Lingmo

In ear Italian translator from Lingmo

Old Jun 19th 2017, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default In ear Italian translator from Lingmo

For those of us struggling with Italian our difficulties could be at an end according to the Telegraph. Next month Lingmo International start selling an in ear Italian translator for a modest £140. There is a delay of 5 seconds that might cause a few problems with impatient Italian speakers. I expect you have to tell them to wait 5 seconds at the end of a sentence. I wonder how it manages with strong accents?

Last edited by philat98; Jun 19th 2017 at 7:55 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:35 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In ear Italian translator from Lingmo

Originally Posted by philat98
For those of us struggling with Italian our difficulties could be at an end according to the Telegraph. Next month Lingmo International start selling an in ear Italian translator for a modest £140. There is a delay of 5 seconds that might cause a few problems with impatient Italian speakers. I expect you have to tell them to wait 5 seconds at the end of a sentence. I wonder how it manages with strong accents?
That's fine...as long as the Italian doesn't use a dialect.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Could be useful, as long as it doesn't become a disincentive to learning Italian properly. After all, if you don't learn the language, the other person is going to need an in-ear translator to understand you!

Shades of the Babel fish (Hitch-hiker's guide).
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonwel
Could be useful, as long as it doesn't become a disincentive to learning Italian properly. After all, if you don't learn the language, the other person is going to need an in-ear translator to understand you!

Shades of the Babel fish (Hitch-hiker's guide).
You just have to carry a spare one with you. With a 5second delay I can't see it being very useful.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

As someone who works as a translator, I maintain a healthy skepticism of these sorts of devices. They can be handy for giving the basic gist - which is often enough - but certainly my experience of machine translation is that I wouldn't trust it with anything important!
Old Jul 1st 2017, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
As someone who works as a translator, I maintain a healthy skepticism of these sorts of devices. They can be handy for giving the basic gist - which is often enough - but certainly my experience of machine translation is that I wouldn't trust it with anything important!
I would be curious to try it out. As you say the basic gist is OK but sometimes there is a little word that alters the meaning of a sentence. European police must be desperate for Arabic speakers so such a gadget might interest them.