Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Dual citizenship

Dual citizenship

Old May 8th 2017, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizenship

We are about to start the procedure as well - maybe we ought to form a club (or, more seriously, exchange information, experience & views on the process)
Old May 9th 2017, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Its easy. If you are an EU citizen, resident in Italy for five years you can get dual citizenship for 200 euros. You will need to complete the online fo. The only complication is a) remembering all your addresses since you were 18and b) getting your police statement from the UK - which needs to be got, legalised, got to Italy and translated and sworn before it expires.
Old May 9th 2017, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Will Acro send the police certificate straight to the legalization office in Milton Keynes rather than returning it to Italy? I read something like this in an old post.
Old May 9th 2017, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

I think so - the legalisation office will certainly send the legalised version direct to Italy. I cant remember if I did that or took another route... My new birth certificate was sent for legalisation direct from the records office.
Old May 9th 2017, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Will Acro send the police certificate straight to the legalization office in Milton Keynes rather than returning it to Italy? I read something like this in an old post.
I think so too. As far as I remember, if you work your way through the online application, you eventually reach an option to have the basic disclosure certificate sent straight to the legalisation office before being returned to you 'apostilled'.
Old May 9th 2017, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Ellie_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks @philat98 for the 8 steps link. I had my application accepted in early Feb, but I'm still at step 1 I'm not sure what to make of the advice to "inviare un secondo accesso agli atti" - what does that even mean?!
I emailed ACRO with a doubt about applying for my police certificate - they were very helpful and replied straight away so I'd recommend asking them direct for any advice.
Old May 9th 2017, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ellie_
Thanks @philat98 for the 8 steps link. I had my application accepted in early Feb, but I'm still at step 1 I'm not sure what to make of the advice to "inviare un secondo accesso agli atti" - what does that even mean?!
I emailed ACRO with a doubt about applying for my police certificate - they were very helpful and replied straight away so I'd recommend asking them direct for any advice.
I think you have to go to the Prefetura and ask them what they are doing. I Am doing mine with a lawyer so I hope he can push them if they have done nothing after 30 days.
Old May 9th 2017, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Its easy. If you are an EU citizen, resident in Italy for five years you can get dual citizenship for 200 euros. You will need to complete the online fo. The only complication is a) remembering all your addresses since you were 18and b) getting your police statement from the UK - which needs to be got, legalised, got to Italy and translated and sworn before it expires.
Does "resident" mean resident in the sense of having one's primary or normal domicile in Italy (implying residence in Italy for tax purposes) or is it enough to have residence of the kind required if one stays in Italy for more than 90 days (that is, just to be registered with the comune anagrafe)?
Old May 10th 2017, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

resident as in living here full time and to all effects and purposes being an italian citizen. Elective residency doesnt count
Old May 10th 2017, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

Modicasa, I am thinking of applying for Italian citizenship as dual nationality with British. I have no Italian relatives and so I guess the residence route is the only one open to me, can you recommend a website that explains the required steps please?

I have come to this conclusion due to Brexit, primarily I want to protect my INPS pension. I have 25 years contributions in INPS and another 20 in UK NI. It looks like I will retire just about when Brexit comes about so I could be in the situation where I retire, try to claim a pension from INPS and move back to the UK just about when the UK leaves the EU. Am I being too pessimistic?
Old May 10th 2017, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I think just a little pessimistic. The UK had a recprocal arrangement with Italy before the EU and I'm almost certain will have it once they leave. They plan to take current EU laws into UK law wholesale and then pick them apart, this will take years (more than 10) and likely not include pension arrangements.
Old May 10th 2017, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

There are rules for residency, but each comune tends to apply them differently.
basically to be a resident you will be here for more than 183 days a year. You must show means to support yourself (if you have no job) - around 6500 euros pa, health insurance, stato di famiglia and a residence - either a property or a rental contract.
Once you have been resident for 5 years you can apply for dual citizenship. At the moment.

You will get a pension from both DWP and INPS - payable where you are resident.
Old May 10th 2017, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
basically to be a resident you will be here for more than 183 days a year.

For information, those 183 days don't have to be consecutive. If you are here for that amount of days (one week here, two weeks there, etc) then you are automatically deemed resident even if you are not registered at the Town Hall. Whether or not in reality anyone is actually keeping tabs on you is a different matter entirely, but I guess it only takes a neighbour with a grudge to snitch on you, if you're unlucky. Anyway, if you are registered at the Town Hall as a resident then you are that status until you go and tell them you are leaving and sign off. And for "resident" read "tax resident". I know I'm always going on about this but nobody in any of the offices you go to along the way will tell you this. Probably because they don't know the implications. By implications I mean that you will have to do a tax return and declare your worldwide income in Italy (so you will lose your UK £10k allowance).
Old May 10th 2017, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

You are only tax resident if you do 183 days in the tax year (Italy go from January, not April as in the UK) and as stated it is cumlative.
Old May 10th 2017, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

The verb "do" is a little misleading though. If you are on the registry but then actually spend fewer than 183 days physically here, you're still tax liable.

The only exception would be in a split year scenario.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.