Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Driving a UK registered car

Driving a UK registered car

Old Feb 8th 2020, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future
Default Re: Driving a UK registered car

Originally Posted by Lugsbug
Hello again!

Arjacey - we no longer have a UK address. I bank at Nat West and they were fine with the move to Italy - just needed online banking which I had already.

And the good news: Called into a garage round the corner this morning re using trade plates on our car - what a fantastic chap! He couldn't speak English and my Italian is very minimal but between us we have manged to sort things out. He telephoned the lady in the Autoclub office that we have been dealing with to get the full picture then called another chap who came to the office and picked me up to look at the car. When we got back, the chap said no problem - he would pick the car up on Tuesday for a once over then collect on 17/02 and drive to the inspection office (about 27k). I felt the weight of the world slip off my shoulders!

We then had a couple of beers and the elderly lady owner of a lovely local bar helped me make an appointment for a haircut tomorrow morning - took me round the corner to the shop and made introductions.

All the people we have met and interacted with have been absolutely fabulous - it restores you're faith in humanity
Wheres the car registered then? They’ll need to send to road tax rebate somewhere (they still used cheques when we sold our UK car, how quaint).

Your experiences with the locals match our exactly. Couldn’t be more helpful.
Old Feb 8th 2020, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

Hi Arjacey! Still registered as a UK car I assume. When we moved over we informed everyone of our change of address and posted off the permanent export part of the V5C, The road tax was paid monthly so the DD was cancelled and no refund due. Don't ask me anything more technical as I don't drive and don't know all the ins and outs!
Old Feb 9th 2020, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by philat98
Seems like you found a very useful garage.
The private garage in my village always gives two quotes for repairs using either Fiat or generic components. When he has done the work he shows me the worn parts. I dont remember any UK garages doing that.
I have a friend who's a mechanic and he also insists on showing me what he's replaced too, I wonder if it's to protect himself from accusations of trying to diddle people?
Old Feb 9th 2020, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arjacey
Stuart Collins and Saga will only insure if you have a UK address...
I don't remember that being the case when we had our policy with them but it was nearly 5 years ago so plenty of time for things to change, thanks for correcting me.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
I have a friend who's a mechanic and he also insists on showing me what he's replaced too, I wonder if it's to protect himself from accusations of trying to diddle people?
I dont really think it proves much as he might well keep a big box of old parts in the backshop. I suppose you know that he understood what needed doing.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

Bit of a hiccup - the local garage says we need new headlights on the car - knew we would - but he can't source any locally so having to order. Unfortunately it means having to postpone the vehicle inspection on Monday as they won't arrive in time. No new date arranged so fingers crossed that we get a new date soon...
Old Feb 18th 2020, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

We have a new date! 28/02 so everything crossed. The owner of the garage has a son who speaks fluent English so he drafted him in to help - brilliant!
Old Feb 18th 2020, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear all is going well...