Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Driving a UK registered car

Driving a UK registered car

Old Dec 23rd 2018, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future
Default Re: Driving a UK registered car

Originally Posted by Accetturese
I brought my UK regisrered car with me when we moved here, intending to get it registered on Italian plates. It would have taken ages and cost a lot, and I would have halved the value of the car. I drove it back to blighty and sold it and bought an Italian car.
We have come to the same conclusion.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 8th 2019, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

This has just happened to a friend, in Florence. Very unpleasant experience. While the new law was clearly aimed at wealthy Italians trying to avoid taxes on their luxury cars, guess who ends up getting done over....
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems an excessive fine with the added cost of re-registering the car in Italy.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

arjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant futurearjacey has a brilliant future

My understanding is that the fine can be up to €2,500 depending on the length of residency. We are carrying residency documents separately although my upbringing would make it very difficult for me to lie to the police😄 If they’ve got any nouse though, they will know the car is resident (why has it got winter tyres, for example) I also have details of a few cars we are going to look at later in the week in the car if I need to plead that I’m doing something about it. Failing that I’ll get Maria to start crying...
Old Jan 10th 2019, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

AndyPT is an unknown quantity at this point

How difficult would it be to get Italian plates anyway? Is there any real-world example or FAQ somewhere? I've read some online, but it seems they all contradict each other.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AndyPT
How difficult would it be to get Italian plates anyway? Is there any real-world example or FAQ somewhere? I've read some online, but it seems they all contradict each other.
This article suggests it takes 2 months and costs Euro1500 for a small car from an EU country. You need to have all the documents ready and it probably is not a DIY project.
https://www.termometropolitico.it/13...mpi-costi.html
Old Jan 10th 2019, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

... or have a look on the ACI site here (not looked at it)
Old Jan 11th 2019, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

it takes a lot of patience, a lot of time, and a lot of money, but it can be done DIY. And if you go via ACI (Italian Automobile Club) they are very helpful.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Thank you very much for all the replies.

The good thing is - our car is electric, so maybe they would be less hostile towards someone who tries to bring in a non-polluting vehicle.

The bad thing is - it has a so-called range extender (a small 650 cubic petrol engine that would kick in automatically at about 6% state of charge), so they could say it isn't electric, but a hybrid, which would probably cost us much more...

Last edited by AndyPT; Jan 11th 2019 at 8:59 am.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

And there’s the rub, isn’t it, finding out exactly what to do and where to do it. I’ve posted here previously trying to get that definitive statement of the process, without success, but it may be that like a lot of things in Italy the process is a understood little differently depending on where you live...

We have a couple of acquaintances who were doing to try this at the end of last year and said they would let us know what they did and how they got on. As far as I am aware, they are still in the process.

If we weren’t in danger of being snowed in today, we were going car shopping...
Old Jan 11th 2019, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by philat98

This article suggests it takes 2 months and costs Euro1500 for a small car from an EU country. You need to have all the documents ready and it probably is not a DIY project.
https://www.termometropolitico.it/13...mpi-costi.html
Because of the cost, the time and the uncertainty of how to do this, we have decided to buy an Italian registered car.

We also considered:

- even imported, it is still going to be RHD.
- because of this, we understand insurance may be even more expensive and difficult to find.
- if we decided to sell the car, it would have to be exported with similar costs, before it could be sold.
- we live in Italy now so its just another tie with the UK to be broken
- used cars are expensive here but that value does stay with the car when it might be sold.

I guess we wouldn’t be changing now if the ruling had not been brought in although we should have done something before now anyway, within 12 months I think so were going to do this later in the spring...

Now to change the driving licences...
Old Jan 11th 2019, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

But would it be legal to drive the car with EU plates once you've started the process? (assuming everything else like the MOT, tax, and insurance is OK)
Old Jan 11th 2019, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

But would it be legal to drive the car with EU plates once you've started the process? (assuming everything else like the MOT, tax, and insurance is OK)
I would guess that the Carabinieri will be as unsure about this as you are...
Old Jan 11th 2019, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

tooc is an unknown quantity at this point

I detect quite a lot of complacency throughout this thread. However, we are talking about the law, and we should be aware that the various types of police have different interests and policies in enforcing it.

The friendly local carabinieri might not be looking out for this type of offence but they would probably uncover it if they 'lollipopped' you for a routine check. Their computers have everything on them these days!

However, the traffic police, for example, are probably now on the alert. And so too, maybe, some of the many other types of police here in Italy.

Once you have got through the 'matriculation' paperwork and paid your dues, you then have to wait a couple of weeks for the new 'targa' and then you have to get the plates made up and fitted.

In the meantime, you might be able to get a permit to 'circulate'. But at that point, I think, your UK bureaucratic arrangements would no longer be valid. You would have to get insurance in Italy, the Italian 'MOT' (collaudo), and the Italian road tax (bollo). Can anyone confirm this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.