Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Driving from UK to Italy July 2021

Driving from UK to Italy July 2021

Old Sep 8th 2021, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future
Default Re: Driving from UK to Italy July 2021

Originally Posted by Margaret M
Thanks for the heads up about the A61. We will check the status of that before we leave.

Did you have any Covid related "hassle", and what paperwork did you need/have. I am trying to pull everything together to make sure I don't miss anything.
I set off with my "Green Pass" and a certificate, from a chemist's, of a negative lateral flow test. I knew of the need to complete the PLF before reaching the Uk border, had started the process but hadn't been able to finish it, planning to do it on the ferry. The hassle arrived at P&O check-in at Rotterdam; their requirements were that I had to present the completed PLF. plus evidence of having booked and paid for the Day 2 test or they wouldn't issue the ticket! And it was their boat. Luckily I had arrived early and the problem was sorted. Lesson: make sure the ferry company warns you what they need and, if you book through an agency, check with the ferry company. At the UK border I was asked only for my passport.
Re the Day 2 test, some of the gossip is true; I received my result as the return ferry came alongside at Calais, but a negative result is academic anyway.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
I set off with my "Green Pass" and a certificate, from a chemist's, of a negative lateral flow test. I knew of the need to complete the PLF before reaching the Uk border, had started the process but hadn't been able to finish it, planning to do it on the ferry. The hassle arrived at P&O check-in at Rotterdam; their requirements were that I had to present the completed PLF. plus evidence of having booked and paid for the Day 2 test or they wouldn't issue the ticket! And it was their boat. Luckily I had arrived early and the problem was sorted. Lesson: make sure the ferry company warns you what they need and, if you book through an agency, check with the ferry company. At the UK border I was asked only for my passport.
Re the Day 2 test, some of the gossip is true; I received my result as the return ferry came alongside at Calais, but a negative result is academic anyway.
Thanks for all the information, and another heads up. Did you have to do another test on the way back. My understanding is we will have to do a test at the ferry terminal before boarding. My other understanding is that you cannot do the PLF more than 48 hours before, which means we will have to do it "en route", and may not be able to print it. I plan to book home 2 day tests from Boots, sent to my son's address - how did you book the 2 day test?

Last edited by Margaret M; Sep 9th 2021 at 6:29 am.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment Randox are doing the day 2 test for 43 GBP Day 2 - Covid Randox . I've used them a few times and not had any of the nightmares. I've also used Brunswick but they're a bit sneaky with their pricing.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the information, and another heads up. Did you have to do another test on the way back. My understanding is we will have to do a test at the ferry terminal before boarding. My other understanding is that you cannot do the PLF more than 48 hours before, which means we will have to do it "en route", and may not be able to print it. I plan to book home 2 day tests from Boots, sent to my son's address - how did you book the 2 day test?
Spoiler:
Re the PLF, you have to complete it in the 48 hrs before but you can start it on line earlier: this has the advantage of registering your request on the system. I recommend this. (Bear in mind that I travelled in the first few days after the route opened and the procedure may now be a bit slicker. That said, the GOVUK site was easy to use.) You download the completed form to your phone, printing is an option.
P&O booked the Day 2 for me so I don't know the procedure. The self-test kit arrived at the selected address by Post in Day 2 with an addressed, priority envelope for its return. I had the impression that you are directed to a list of approved suppliers and Boots may not be included ( didn't donate enough?).
I returned via France where the requirement (13Aug) was the EU "Green Pass" plus a written statement "on your honour" that you were symptom-free, etc., this latter available on a French govt. site that I accessed via GOVUK. The French border procedure was in Dover port. The requirement for the Netherlands is almost certainly different. Depend on the ferry company requirements; once you disembark you should get to Puglia without showing any papers to officials and your "Green Pass" ought to be good enough for Bed & Board.
ps Day 2 test cost £40 from Nationwide Pathology.

Last edited by jiminalpago; Sep 9th 2021 at 8:01 am.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jiminalpago;13049550]
Spoiler:
"ps Day 2 test cost £40 from Nationwide Pathology."

I'll look into that Nationwide Pathology, as I am sure Boots were more expensive. Thanks again.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Margaret M;13049554]
Spoiler:
"ps Day 2 test cost £40 from Nationwide Pathology."

I'll look into that Nationwide Pathology, as I am sure Boots were more expensive. Thanks again.
The main body of my post is hidden behind "spoiler" on my account (don't know why); could you access it?
Old Sep 9th 2021, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=jiminalpago;13049569]
The main body of my post is hidden behind "spoiler" on my account (don't know why); could you access it?
Yes I could thank you. We are only going to be in the UK for 3 days, for a wedding, so I have to get everything right. We arrive on Friday, so I guess Sunday (the day of the wedding) is day 2. Can't see the point of it when we leave again on Monday afternoon.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Margaret M;13049581]
Yes I could thank you. We are only going to be in the UK for 3 days, for a wedding, so I have to get everything right. We arrive on Friday, so I guess Sunday (the day of the wedding) is day 2. Can't see the point of it when we leave again on Monday afternoon.
At least you won't lack for table talk!
Good luck!
Old Sep 9th 2021, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Margaret M;13049581]
If you arrive on Friday, Saturday is Day 2.
Old Sep 12th 2021, 9:21 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jiminalpago;13049740]
If you arrive on Friday, Saturday is Day 2.
No it isn't. Arrival day is day 0.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-q...ive-in-england

Old Sep 12th 2021, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Lorna at Vicenza;13050452]

No it isn't. Arrival day is day 0.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-q...ive-in-england
That's what I thought too, Lorna.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

We have just arrived home in Piemonte after driving to the UK for a short visit. It was like planning a military exercise! We got our Lateral Flow tests from the local farmacia (€15) on Saturday and these were good for the ferry on Monday night (Hook of Holland to Harwich). I ordered two home PCR tests to arrive at my daughters house for us to use on day 2 (Biograd Diagnostics £50 each plus p&p). I completed the passenger locator forms on line and was able to insert the reference number provided by Biograd - I then received an email with the authorised form attached.

So - ferry = covid test ✓, PLF ✓ (they were happy to see the form on my phone, no need to print)
Day 2 self administered PCR ✓

For coming back, I booked two lateral flow tests to be taken at Lloyds pharmacy on Monday morning, ready for boarding the ferry on Monday night. I had previously printed off and completed two copies of the Quarantine Declaration form required by the Netherlands, and their Vaccine Declaration form.

So - ferry = covid test ✓ (NB NHS or self administered tests not accepted), Quarantine Declaration form x2 ✓, Vaccine Declaration form ✓ (not required when boarding but also not asked for on the other side!)
Passenger Locator Form for entering Italy ✓

We stopped overnight in Germany on the way up and back but on the way back, we were asked for proof of a negative test when booking in. I wasn't aware we needed this but the one taken in the UK just before we left was fine.

Regarding getting personal household items through customs, we had a car-full of our last possessions that our daughter had been keeping and was a bit anxious. However, at border control we were given a brief inspection and waved on our way. There was no inspection on the other side. When we reached the Italian border just north of Como, the guard asked us where we had been and what we had done but didn't ask for any paperwork. He also asked usapproximately how much money we had on us. I pulled out my remaining €35 and said that's it!

I hope this is helpful to anyone travelling in the near future - it was a pain doing the paperwork and having the tests but overall, I think I worried too much and the actuality was not too bad. I am now unwinding with a large glass of wine!

Old Sep 15th 2021, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Lugsbug, that just about agrees with my "to do" list, except for the Passenger Locator Form for Italy - do you have a link for this?
Old Sep 15th 2021, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

Hi Margaret - if you google Italian Passenger Locator Form it should bring you out at 'Ministero della Salute' and just follow the instructions from there.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lugsbug
Hi Margaret - if you google Italian Passenger Locator Form it should bring you out at 'Ministero della Salute' and just follow the instructions from there.
Ok thanks. Will have a look in the morning.