Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Driving from Sicily to Liguria and thence to France

Driving from Sicily to Liguria and thence to France

Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

UpinAnniesRoom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving from Sicily to Liguria and thence to France

We're considering a drive up from Sicily to France via Liguria in a UK registered car but when I mention this to French people they pull a face. Bad vibes about criminality, car theft and so on.
Are things really that bad?
UpinAnniesRoom
Old Sep 28th 2018, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from Sicily to Liguria and thence to France

cant help you on that I afraid, but how nice to see the word 'thence' still in use!
Old Sep 28th 2018, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by modicasa
cant help you on that I afraid, but how nice to see the word 'thence' still in use!
OK - slip me half a crown and you can have "whence" as well.
In fact, there's a special offer on at the moment and for your 2/6 you'll also get "whither" and "thither"
UiAR

Last edited by UpinAnniesRoom; Sep 28th 2018 at 2:43 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

It's a very long and quite expensive drive from Sicily to France with all the motorway tolls and probably cheaper to get the ferry direct from Palermo to Genova . I havn't done it this year but I expect there must be big additional problems after the explosion on the motorway in Bologna and the Genova bridge disaster which might going through Liguria even worse than it usually is - the motorway from Genova to the French border is long and tortuous. If you want to see a bit of Italy on your way to France I would still get an overnight boat from Sicily to Naples or Civitavecchia and then start out from there in the morning. Avoid going through Genova though. As far as theft and criminality is concerned it is probably worse in France
Old Sep 28th 2018, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UpinAnniesRoom
OK - slip me half a crown and you can have "whence" as well.
In fact, there's a special offer on at the moment and for your 2/6 you'll also get "whither" and "thither"
UiAR
when you come off the autostrada at Genova whither and thither will be useful words.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to both for the replies and the linguistic tips. Regarding the latter, I've just discovered "whithersoever" but that costs more than the half a crown already quoted.

Now as far as the drive is concerned, there's a ferry service starting next year from Toulon to Trapani. This prompted the idea of the drive up through Italy. We've been to Liguria quite often (we would have gone this year but for the bridge disaster) and thought it would be nice to see the south. We wouldn't want to take a ferry back to Genoa, but are there perhaps ferries from Trapani up to Rome or thereabouts? Thus we could drive around Sicily and then perhaps take a ferry half-way up.

With regard to the bridge: that has slipped out of the news but how are they getting on? Have they cleared the rubble and have the plans by Piano been approved? When is the route likely to re-open?

Thanks.
UiAR
Old Sep 28th 2018, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

With regard to the bridge: that has slipped out of the news but how are they getting on? Have they cleared the rubble and have the plans by Piano been approved?
We are 21st century British Expats that have made Italy our home. We’re not tripadvisor.

Where exactly has “the bridge” slipped out of the news? Not Italy, for sure. By “they”, are you referring to the Italian government? As much as we might love or hate them, you come across as dismissive, some might say patronising.

Anyway, I’m sure if you got yourself that far, you can get yourself back to where you came.

Last edited by Donna Noble; Sep 28th 2018 at 10:36 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

A bit harsh Donna!

The bridge will be a long and tortuous process, no matter what the politicians tout. A decree has been passed, but with not enough money in it to rebuild the bridge and there is no commissioner as yet. They say 18 months, so Id double that at least.
I didnt know about Trapani Toulon ferry - its not something i would consider in winter - Ive done Palermo Genova once and it was endless. Palermo/Catania to Naples is easy. Civitavecchia cuts going round Rome off the drive.
You could hop through Sardinia, corsica, Marseilles but in high season it would incredibly expensive I suspect.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Donna Noble;12569907]
With regard to the bridge: that has slipped out of the news but how are they getting on? Have they cleared the rubble and have the plans by Piano been approved? /QUOTE]

We are 21st century British Expats that have made Italy our home. We’re not tripadvisor.

Where exactly has “the bridge” slipped out of the news? Not Italy, for sure. By “they”, are you referring to the Italian government? As much as we might love or hate them, you come across as dismissive, some might say patronising.

Anyway, I’m sure if you got yourself that far, you can get yourself back to where you came.
This is the 1st time the bridge has been mentioned on this forum. I for one would like to know the impact in surrounding areas.Perhaps somebody could comment.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BRIAN 1;12570077]
Originally Posted by Donna Noble
[left] This is the 1st time the bridge has been mentioned on this forum. I for one would like to know the impact in surrounding areas.Perhaps somebody could comment.
We're getting a bit off topic here aren't we. Donna Nobile, I'm afraid you're the one that comes across as patronising. I know, I know, I'm a great patroniser myself.
Re the impact in Genova of the Morandi bridge, I think any of the press photos of its current state show quite clearly what sort of an impact it must have. Just look at all those streets, factories, and apartment blocks sat right under it. As we already know, many will have to be evacuated and a 1000+ people rehoused somehow.
and it's all going to take a lot of time and money.
Keep smiling folks, Berlusconi is on his way back.
'o nonno.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 8:06 am
Just Joined

In response to my genuine and non-provocative question, "Donna Noble" replied as follows:
---------

---------
Well:

(1) The bridge has slipped out of the TV/radio news in three countries whose languages I know well: Britain, France and Germany. It's also slipped out of the Times. I'm sure it's not slipped out of the news in Italy but my Italian is not good enough to follow RAI radio.
(2) By "they" I mean the drivers of the bulldozers, dumper trucks and cranes on the site.

I've been a user of forums – a giver as well as a taker – for many years. This is the first time I've been described as "dismissive" and "patronising".
I came to this site to get information from expats – didn't want to use a commercial site like TripAdvisor.

Your snide comment: ("Anyway, I’m sure if you got yourself that far, you can get yourself back to where you came.") puts me off totally.

Thank you and good-bye.

UiAR
Old Sep 30th 2018, 8:11 am
Just Joined

mike101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll second that 'thither' and raise you a 'hither'
"Thence"
Old Sep 30th 2018, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

What a shame...
Old Sep 30th 2018, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

In response to my genuine and non-provocative question, "Donna Noble" replied as follows:
---------

---------
Well:

(1) The bridge has slipped out of the TV/radio news in three countries whose languages I know well: Britain, France and Germany. It's also slipped out of the Times. I'm sure it's not slipped out of the news in Italy but my Italian is not good enough to follow RAI radio.
(2) By "they" I mean the drivers of the bulldozers, dumper trucks and cranes on the site.

I've been a user of forums – a giver as well as a taker – for many years. This is the first time I've been described as "dismissive" and "patronising".
I came to this site to get information from expats – didn't want to use a commercial site like TripAdvisor.

Your snide comment: ("Anyway, I’m sure if you got yourself that far, you can get yourself back to where you came.") puts me off totally.

Thank you and good-bye.

UiAR
I wouldn't let 1 dodgy poster put you off,you know what forums are like.Most on here are informative helpful peeps.As I am driving home from the deep south also in 6 weeks,I was wondering whether this disaster has impacted other major exits from Italy,in my case the route thru Chiasso.Cheers,Brian.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

We drove last week from Tuscany via Genova and the Gt St Bernard. We would normally have crossed the Morandi bridge and taken the westerly autostrada to Alessandria, but this time obviously had to take the easterly Milano autostrada and then work our way across. The traffic was not at all bad, all things considered; and once we were clear of the Genova area the roads were pretty empty. By the time you travel, Brian, I don't think there should be any problems. We've used the Gothard a lot in the past. It has the advantage of being toll-free, of course; but I much prefer the Aosta valley route

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.