British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Driving in Italy with UK registered car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/driving-italy-uk-registered-car-926414/)

Mzubairi01 Jul 14th 2019 10:18 am

Driving in Italy with UK registered car

hi guys,

I have been driving in Italy for few days on my holiday here. I’m visiting northern areas including Milan. I’m keeping well within the speed limits. I’m just worried about ZLTs (zone for limited traffic). I have kept out of ZLT here in Milan. Elsewhere, if I’ve, inadvertently, violated them, do you think I’d be getting fines via post to my UK address? I have a personalised UK plate on my car. I’m being as careful as I can. But sometimes my satnav takes me through small towns.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

shaheer

philat98 Jul 14th 2019 12:15 pm

Re: Driving in Italy with UK registered car

I did a U turn just entering a ZTL and received a Euro70 fine.
Read this on tripadvisor. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ine-Italy.html

Mzubairi01 Jul 14th 2019 12:29 pm

Were you driving your own UK registered car?

philat98 Jul 14th 2019 6:44 pm

Salvini has declared war on foreign vehicles so I wouldn't rely on a UK address for complete protection. The DVLA have been providing names and addresses to Italy since 2007.

philat98 Jul 15th 2019 3:53 am

The police also have the power to take your car from the street. This man lost his car after failing to pay Euro31,000 fine.
'Furbetto' ztl Firenze,31.000 euro multe - Toscana - ANSA.it

modicasa Jul 15th 2019 5:01 am

There's a big difference between driving your car here on holiday and exporting a car to live here as a resident without importing your car for years. As t whether you would get a fine, it's possible. WhenI go to teh UK in a hire car - Ive had the odd fine, but after Ive sent details of flights and proved I was there for a few days only, they've cancelled it - so in some cases you can assumeits more hassle to try and get hte payment than forget about it.

Plan B Jul 15th 2019 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mzubairi01 (Post 12710195)

... do you think I’d be getting fines via post to my UK address?

My son drove down to Italy in his UK registered car to visit us last year and was snapped by a roadside telecamera when exceeding the speed limit; about 7 months later he received a letter back in the UK demanding payment of a fine.

Lorna at Vicenza Jul 15th 2019 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 12710502)
The police also have the power to take your car from the street. This man lost his car after failing to pay Euro31,000 fine.
'Furbetto' ztl Firenze,31.000 euro multe - Toscana - ANSA.it

My car is not worth anything close to €31.000 so they can bloody well keep it.

Seldomseenkid Jul 16th 2019 12:48 pm

The way the authorities think that they can wait for up to a year before they issue you with a ticket just goes against ideas of natural justice. How many of us can remember what we were doing a year ago? Anyway I believe that these cameras have to be calibrated and that this calibration must be checked at regular intervals so I believe you may be within your rights to ask for details of the camera used and the record of its calibration history. Anybody know any more about this specifically with reference to Italy?

tpw21 Jul 17th 2019 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Seldomseenkid (Post 12711004)
The way the authorities think that they can wait for up to a year before they issue you with a ticket just goes against ideas of natural justice. How many of us can remember what we were doing a year ago? Anyway I believe that these cameras have to be calibrated and that this calibration must be checked at regular intervals so I believe you may be within your rights to ask for details of the camera used and the record of its calibration history. Anybody know any more about this specifically with reference to Italy?

I think that most of the orange ones in Italy don’t even work, so I certainly wouldn’t trust any of them.

chris120 Jul 18th 2019 11:32 am

I've had the odd speeding fine, the speed camera calibration validity is usually stated on the fine. Of course this means nothing as the wording is always there irrespective of the actual camera status. Also ZTLs are not 24/7 so you may get away with it if you were out of the active hours, ZTLs are usually active during the working day/week (in central Rome 06:30 to 18:00 Mon - Fri and possibly Saturday) although there are exceptions such as the Testaccio ZTL ( 23.00 to 3.00, Fri - Sat) and ZTL in San Lorenzo (21.30 to 3.00 Fri - Sat).

37100 Jul 18th 2019 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by tpw21 (Post 12711267)

I think that most of the orange ones in Italy don’t even work, so I certainly wouldn’t trust any of them.

They certainly do work in and round Verona. :nod: However, they rotate them so unless it's light on top is flashing, it's not active.