Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Don't want any British Around Here?

Don't want any British Around Here?

Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:17 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't want any British Around Here?

Originally Posted by paintermujer
There arent many brits around where we live but those here keep very much to themselves a lot of the time.

Brits can be horrible to one another.Last year we got someone from our local town,english person, to do some web design for us.He made a complete balls up of it and then decided to try and put us out of business by writing fake reviews on websites,started his own website full of libel against us and even teamed up with our main competitor in the UK for even more libel.He even stole our adsense revenue cos he added HIS account to it.

We had some really awful months dealing with the problem but we have come back stronger than ever.The only sad thing is this person is still around,only 10 mins walk from where we live and has been doing it to other people too.A real scumbag.
I think it is the fact that when abroad one tends (unwittingly) to lean towards those who are of the same colour\religion\language\nationality as self.
with technical matters it can be hard to find someone who speaks the same language, increasing that reliance. And as the Spanish will employ a Spaniard so many of the Brits will employ a Brit. Its the same in the UK where "minorities" tend to do everything within their enclave and not with the indigenous.

glad you feel you have been able to get past it with an improvement which has probably brought you closer together and brought that invisible skin tighter. It's just galling to know that the guy is still doing the same to others and you could (and probably do) see him on an almost daily basis.
perhaps one day he will do it to the wrong people who will take "affirmative action".
rgds
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

We lost so much money beacuse of the web design disaster so we dont want to incur more cost on him and his wife.

How I hope one day justice will be done.I just cant describe what they tried to do.

We are doing what we can.Dont want to say too much cos I know they have found me on this forum

.......and yes our skin is getting a lot thicker....shame really.

.......But the spanish around us are great and thats what we came for.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

ambra_wandsworth will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jonwel
I've found some Italians have the same feeling about avoiding big groups of Italian tourists in GB.

LoL, that's true especially for those that have never been to GB....

It's slightly different for italian residents over there, usually no matter which part of Italy you come from north, centre or south..you have something in common: there's something of Italy you cannot stand, and that's usually the reason why you moved out...and obviously as you guys do with the italians we have our say on the english.
Italians living abroad are usually a bit more open minded, and it's not that difficult to get on well with them..

..But, as you say..
Originally Posted by jonwel
; there are nice people and sharks in all countries!
Let's say it's nice to find the balance between your "nationalism" and your choice to live abroad in a different culture..
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:43 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
We lost so much money beacuse of the web design disaster so we dont want to incur more cost on him and his wife.

How I hope one day justice will be done.I just cant describe what they tried to do.

We are doing what we can.Dont want to say too much cos I know they have found me on this forum

.......and yes our skin is getting a lot thicker....shame really.

.......But the spanish around us are great and thats what we came for.
so many shysters doing websites, remember a guy coming to work for us as a holiday temp, only there 24hrs and he was trying to flog his web design "capabilities" - fronting another company's semi-automatic design system. even his "personal" email was rooted at this company. his "designs" were C**P. He changed settings on people's computers without their knowing and it took us weeks to get back to that "comfy" feel

did the design for my website myself, using Netobjects Fusion, no frills, no flashy bits - but its a poster for business with all the contact details etc.
if the business progresses will have to rethink but will be very circumspect

Andalucia did have some EU money for small businesses and websites but think that was a couple of years ago.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Juvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond repute

I think for some , they want to master the language as much as than can first.
perhaps afraid is make brit friends from the get go then the Italian will take forever to get going. for me, I need my native kind for a pint or a bit of a chat every now and then, game of pool, watch a football match etc..
I mean after all, who else will get my jokes!
my wife is sick of hearing them hahahahaha
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Europe is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I wouldn't say that one befriends unwittingly people of the same origin.It could be said that people think there would find in their compatriots same beliefs,interests, opinions about politics, religion etc etc etc.

But that is not true !In this day and age people in all European countries speak English. I would suggest hanging with Italians, to exchange opinions, see where your cultures lacks, witness a different perspective of living,I think you will find that quite interesting !

I find it rather odd when one migrates and finds a haven in expats of the same origin, integration is not a bad thing,try it out !!

I think you gonna find quite interesting Italians !!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:05 pm

funny how in UK people complain about Poles, Lithuanians, Serbs, Pakistanis, Indians, Chinese etc etc all gathering in enclaves\communities, have their own shops stuffed full of imports from "home"
give them hell because the local council prints all leaflets in 15 languages, they need an interpreter whenever they do anything
must have a satellite dish pointing in "funny" directions (not Sky)
the Brits get anti because they find a low paid menial job the brits don't want
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
then the Brits move out to Spain, Italy, France, etc and complain because the locals won't speak English to them, they cannot get enough of speaking English with other expats
need their own shops stuffed full of imports from "home"
give everyone hell because local council only prints leaflets in 1 (national) language.
need an interpreter or note from "mum" when going anywhere they have to talk to locals
must have a satellite dish point in "funny" directions (for Sky)
get on expat sites and complain about how unfair it all is, and how home sick they are and want to go back home
get anti because the locals won't employ them in any jobs (usually because of their poor language skills)

just an observation
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:51 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
funny how in UK people complain about Poles, Lithuanians, Serbs, Pakistanis, Indians, Chinese etc etc all gathering in enclaves\communities, have their own shops stuffed full of imports from "home"
give them hell because the local council prints all leaflets in 15 languages, they need an interpreter whenever they do anything
must have a satellite dish pointing in "funny" directions (not Sky)
the Brits get anti because they find a low paid menial job the brits don't want
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
then the Brits move out to Spain, Italy, France, etc and complain because the locals won't speak English to them, they cannot get enough of speaking English with other expats
need their own shops stuffed full of imports from "home"
give everyone hell because local council only prints leaflets in 1 (national) language.
need an interpreter or note from "mum" when going anywhere they have to talk to locals
must have a satellite dish point in "funny" directions (for Sky)
get on expat sites and complain about how unfair it all is, and how home sick they are and want to go back home
get anti because the locals won't employ them in any jobs (usually because of their poor language skills)

just an observation
Funny that, because none of it applies to me. I came here 20 years ago nobody spoke English.
Google did not exist.
TV was not in English - satellite did not exist.
Big Iper shops or Co-Ops or large supermarkets hadn't even been dreamed of let alone built. Whenever I wanted a pear or apple or pepper or garlic I had to ask for it, not just pick it up from the shelves.

Perhaps this is the way I learnt Italian very quickly. It was bloody hard but I learnt fast.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Funny that, because none of it applies to me. I came here 20 years ago nobody spoke English.
Google did not exist.
Big Iper shops or Co-Ops or large supermarkets hadn't even been dreamed of let alone built. Whenever I wanted a pear or apple or pepper or garlic I had to ask for it, not just pick it up from the shelves.

Perhaps this is the way I learnt Italian very quickly. It was bloody hard but I learnt fast.
Lorna
how much of it do you see around you, you who worked hard to make something of it all.

as I said - just an observation
funny that all I have done is tell the truth
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:50 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Lorna
how much of it do you see around you, you who worked hard to make something of it all.

as I said - just an observation
funny that all I have done is tell the truth

Have loads to say on this subject.

It was bloody hard for me and I did it !!!!! Wooo hooo to me. Not one person in the land was going to help me apart from some sounds of pronunciation.

I have a whole book of stories ... one of them might be

"I did it - so can you"

I don't want to think of myself as racist - what I do think is "bloody did it .... "
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 12:05 am

Have loads to say on this subject.

It was bloody hard for me and I did it !!!!! Wooo hooo to me. Not one person in the land was going to help me apart from some sounds of pronunciation.

I have a whole book of stories ... one of them might be

"I did it - so can you"

I don't want to think of myself as racist - what I do think is "bloody did it .... "
the OH has problems because she works in an English speaking environment, talking to customers in UK all day. Has English speaking Spaniards with her. One said it was about time she was improving in her Spanish, one of the Spanish guys turned round and said "hang on a minute, I speak English here all day, I go home and I still speak English to the family and they just give me funny looks. Its actually so hard to click back into my native language!"
so no matter how eager\desparate to learn the language it is very difficult when travelling on the bus to\from work and one or maybe 2 shopping trips to supermarket each week.
I have got so bored with Linguaphone and Michel Thomas that I can almost do the script with them
listening to the language on the radio can make you aware of the little nuances and emphasis there can be, but if you don't know any of the words in a sentence it aint going to work very well

you have done it the hard way - which at the time was the only way, only major co's and the FCO had intensive courses in foreign languages for their people.

when does the book come out ? - may make more interesting reading than some of the expat books around at the moment.
rgds
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:55 am

the OH has problems because she works in an English speaking environment, talking to customers in UK all day. Has English speaking Spaniards with her. One said it was about time she was improving in her Spanish, one of the Spanish guys turned round and said "hang on a minute, I speak English here all day, I go home and I still speak English to the family and they just give me funny looks. Its actually so hard to click back into my native language!"
so no matter how eager\desparate to learn the language it is very difficult when travelling on the bus to\from work and one or maybe 2 shopping trips to supermarket each week.
I have got so bored with Linguaphone and Michel Thomas that I can almost do the script with them
listening to the language on the radio can make you aware of the little nuances and emphasis there can be, but if you don't know any of the words in a sentence it aint going to work very well

you have done it the hard way - which at the time was the only way, only major co's and the FCO had intensive courses in foreign languages for their people.

when does the book come out ? - may make more interesting reading than some of the expat books around at the moment.
rgds
Hello and buongiorno.

Don't mind last night's ramblings. I had a plan to get drunk and finally get some sleep. Let's just say it worked.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao Lorna/Domino :
been there/done that. Teach yourself Italian. The English Universities Press 1959. When I returned for a short spell in England mid-60's my brother said 'you speak English with a Hungarian accent!' Only from mid 60's onwards did I start meeting English speaking people again.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:30 am

Hello and buongiorno.

Don't mind last night's ramblings. I had a plan to get drunk and finally get some sleep. Let's just say it worked.
nothing to apologise for, if I have just one too many - no problem, just fall asleep. Then wake up in middle of night and cant get back to sleep
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:42 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Google did not exist.

Blunt, but soo true. Been there, done that, got the tshirt AND the medal. Still not sure if I'm legally married. The town hall had never seen a foreigner before!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.