Dog to Italy

Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

debra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog to Italy

My friends daughter needs to return to Italy with her dog. Tried a few airlines and they are all saying that the maximum weight of the dog can only be 8 kg. Pampered pouch weighs 12kg!!. Also looked at getting the boat, but can only do that if she takes a car, which is not an possible.

Anybody got any ideas.

Thanks

Last edited by debra; Mar 12th 2009 at 9:31 am.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:41 am
Just Joined

SachaR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dog to Italy

I think the max 8kg is for travelling with the dog within the cabin, over 8kg you will have to have a travel box....

Good luck!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately they are all saying 8kg max, regardless of being in the cabin or in the hold.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:54 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

I take it the dog is going to Sardinia?? where is it in UK?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Kenny

Its in wet and windy Newcastle
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:04 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

No wonder it wants to get back to Sardinia, we will make our second attempt at getting our two back into UK in early April, fingers crossed the vets have managed to sort out the passports with the dates in the correct order, but I will check DEFRA website to ease the paranoia, Naples to Calais and back in three days as we did last time was a nightmare. I can't help you with carriers I'm afraid. I always thought big dogs went in the hold??
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe
No wonder it wants to get back to Sardinia, we will make our second attempt at getting our two back into UK in early April, fingers crossed the vets have managed to sort out the passports with the dates in the correct order, but I will check DEFRA website to ease the paranoia, Naples to Calais and back in three days as we did last time was a nightmare. I can't help you with carriers I'm afraid. I always thought big dogs went in the hold??
I don't envy you with the trip, but I guess there is no other way if your dogs are over 8 kg. Seems crazy ... perhaps if we don't feed him any pasta for a couple of days, he could lose a couple of kilos

I see you are relocating to Saudi good luck, enjoy...... after all them hours spent house hunting. Hey you won't be able to pop back for them tea-bags so easily, better take a good supply with you.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:44 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

UK tea bags - won't see them for a couple of years I was just on the middle east forum reading a post about what cannot be taken to Saudi, looks like we will be going with just clothes and nothing else......... but our plan is to be back to Italy and start the house hunting all over again, and it was a great experience..., yeah I know, we must be mad
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe
UK tea bags - won't see them for a couple of years I was just on the middle east forum reading a post about what cannot be taken to Saudi, looks like we will be going with just clothes and nothing else......... but our plan is to be back to Italy and start the house hunting all over again, and it was a great experience..., yeah I know, we must be mad
Yes totally agree with you absolutely bonkers

Apart from the must have tea-bags.... what about the fantastic cheap Italian wine.............are you sure you wanna go to Saudi.

At least when you return you will know how to buy property here.........although after 2 years, I bet they will have changed all the laws!!
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:53 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Don't have a choice about going it comes with the job, and this is our third or so time of applying for it so we have to give it a go. No cheap Italian wine or indeed any wine for a couple of years. Saudi is alcohol free apart from the embassy and a couple of hotels...... it will be a challenge to say the least
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:20 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there a fairly large expat community out there though ?

But I admit I am totally ignorant and don't know the difference between Saudi Arabia - Dubai - Emirates etc etc.

I have read a few posts on the Middle East section of this forum and that is it.

OH has been to "Arabia Saudita" a few times for work and has always found alcohol inside the hotels but I don't think he ever travelled outside the factory he was working in and the hotel he was staying in.

I'm even presuming that 'Arabia Saudita' is Saudi Arabia. Seems like a logical translation.

Geography was always my worst subject at school.

Anyway Kenny and Moe ............ when you do get there I hope you will pop back to 'Italy' on here and tell us the news and how you are getting on.

Moves like this must be hard on your wife sometimes.

How about starting a blog on British Expats and giving us a his and hers version ????
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

OK just thought I would update you. The only way we could get the dog over here was to fly him with BA to Rome at the cost of £800.00 (one way), then take the boat over to collect him. (350 euros).... must be a very loved pet
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:33 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of money.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
A lot of money.
I think it's well over the top but there was no other choice. I grumble if i have to pay over 50 euros for a return trip for myself, glad I have not got any animals.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:19 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Debra, you have finally lost your marbles, 1150 quid to fly one dog - WOW. Although I cannot talk, I drove Naples - Calais - Naples - Calais in 5 days cos my little urchins were refused entry to UK, I could have put them in a French kennels for two weeks and refused, mainly cos one of them is totally deaf and they were quite young then, in the end they stayed with my neighbour in Naples. I am trying again in early April but am now certain the vets have done the job correctly.
Have a great evening
Regards Kenny

Oh PS - I heard today that I can take UK T Bags to Saudi can't ake much else though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.