Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Dog/housesit Sicily

Wikiposts

Dog/housesit Sicily

Old Dec 13th 2014, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

lindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to behold
Default Dog/housesit Sicily

Our Workaway couple scheduled to come house/pet sit have flaked off at the last minute, overstayed their visas. Anyone know reliable service or persons willing to stay in southeast Sicily from first of the year until middle of Feb? You can come earlier and stay on longer in one of our rentals if you choose. Compensation. Great location, easy to care for 3 small dogs and a cat, no work except for keeping the fire on at night. PM me if you can help. thanks
Old Dec 17th 2014, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

lindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to beholdlindanoto is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dog/housesit Sicily

All set, thanks!
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:20 am
Just Joined

Sr22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Just incase you're ever in want of a dog sitter in the future,
I'll be living in Sicily from November, teaching near messini and if available, will happily be of help if wanted.

Sarah
Old Sep 18th 2015, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

thank you Sarah, Messina is only a few hours away. I will PM you if we have need. We have had good luck now using a housesit/pets sit site but some people that have arrived in Sicily really underestimate that we do have somewhat of a winter ( spend a winter here and you will understand why only expats try to live year-round right on the sea). We are up a hill with good seaview but not the dampness. Biggest challenge has been finding folks that know how to run a woodstove.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindanoto
spend a winter here and you will understand why only expats try to live year-round right on the sea).
Am confused by this. Are you saying its colder by the sea? Surely its warmer by the sea and colder in the hills inland?
Old Sep 26th 2015, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

It is very damp. Very. That combined with most houses lacking insulation and central heating will leave you feeling cold even at 16c with the added bonus of aching joints. Just 1km inland much drier. We have wood heat and very little keeps the house nice. This is just my opinion and experience here over 10 years.
Old Oct 10th 2015, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

MigsAngel is an unknown quantity at this point

It is very damp. Very. That combined with most houses lacking insulation and central heating will leave you feeling cold even at 16c with the added bonus of aching joints. Just 1km inland much drier. We have wood heat and very little keeps the house nice. This is just my opinion and experience here over 10 years.
Good to know...
The house we are getting has heaters but not central heating.
I will have to go with my 1st plan which was to add a fireplace / wood heater...
If my wife reads your post she is going to tell me 'i told you we should have bought in the hills'....
thanks
Old Oct 11th 2015, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

I like woodstoves. It does not get cold enough where you will be ( we are up the "hill" a bit where it is always 2c cooler than down there BUT it is drier) so you will not burn a lot of wood. It is more to keep the damp away. You will be fine. Last year we paid 150 for wood and still had some left over. pellet stoves are the rage and we have used them but become useless if you lose power and still cost electricity. There are combination stoves that will burn both, never tried one but would like to. A fireplace here (unless has an insert) just sucks all your heat up the chimmney. Maybe you will luck out and we have a dry winter since it has been a really wet fall. The good days FAR outway the bad so these are minor things. We still have guest out swimming in the sea
Old Oct 30th 2015, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

thank you Sarah, Messina is only a few hours away. I will PM you if we have need. We have had good luck now using a housesit/pets sit site but some people that have arrived in Sicily really underestimate that we do have somewhat of a winter ( spend a winter here and you will understand why only expats try to live year-round right on the sea). We are up a hill with good seaview but not the dampness. Biggest challenge has been finding folks that know how to run a woodstove.
Thank you for your response, apologies for my delay - i hadn't received notification.
Wish i had seen your message sooner, as i'm at departures in London with a suitcase of warm climate clothes...
Thank you and yes do feel free to PM me if i can be of assistance, thankfully i've woodstove experience !
Sarah
Old Oct 30th 2015, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

ps. thank you for informing me about coastal/ inland living merits. I'm on an internship in a coastal area... however if that doesn't work out i plan to get around Sicily but in destinations more flourishing in winter, as i experienced damp accommodation in Venice and it IS unpleasant.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Pringle78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, hope you managed to get someone to house sit for you last year xx
I'm looking to house sit anytime now until mid Jan and/or from mid Feb or March onwards!! I would prefer longer term! I have a small dog too.
I'm so excited about moving to Italy and would loooooove to house sit to begin with or rent a very cheap place. Do you know of anywhere or anyone?
I'm a 37 year old female with own business.
Thank you
Laura
Old Nov 19th 2015, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pringle78
Hi there, hope you managed to get someone to house sit for you last year xx I'm looking to house sit anytime now until mid Jan and/or from mid Feb or March onwards!! I would prefer longer term! I have a small dog too.I'm so excited about moving to Italy and would loooooove to house sit to begin with or rent a very cheap place. Do you know of anywhere or anyone?I'm a 37 year old female with own business. Thank youLaura
Hi Laura,My situation changed and I've managed to get around so far through a combination of negotiating with AirBNB hosts and through locals via new acquaintances I've made. When I've asked I've been quoted 230 -280euros for a room, and 450-600 for apartment.
Hope you are successful,Sarah
Old Nov 19th 2015, 12:28 am
Just Joined

**per month : )
Old Nov 19th 2015, 1:17 am
Just Joined

Pringle78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thaaaaaaank you so much Sarah!! Really appreciate your response!! Xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hopefully I will be there soon!!