Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Dangers of Italian motoring

Dangers of Italian motoring

Old Jul 19th 2018, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dangers of Italian motoring

Our "death road" is the ss106 which is the equivalent of the a1 in the UK.In our area it is like a country lane for quite a way.You can tell way back when someone is on the phone,they weave across the road,missing oncoming traffic by inches.We either pull back to avoid any flying debri,lol,or get past as soon as possible.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by philat98
Brits can make mistakes too. A few weeks ago an English car travelling on the wrong side of the road crashed head on near Todi.
Anyone can make mistakes, particularly on a road network which is often badly engineered with unclear junctions, unexpected priorities, confusing slip roads, ambiguous signage, too many roads converging on one junction, etc. and so on. Add a high level of impatience and a low general of concentration and it can be a heady mix.

Generally, I'm a big Italophile but the roads are often genuinely alarming.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe it, between my last post and now,we done a bit of shopping.A car waiting behind another waiting to pull out overtook it and pulled out right in front of me.Having drove a van in London for 40odd years my response was quite gracious,lol,he held his arm up and apologised pretty quickly.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the SS106 but these Strada Statale are often quite bad. I would say that the SS18 that runs from Napoli to Reggio Calabria is the most frightening road I have driven on in Italy. I think the SS roads are often used to avoid the motorway tolls like the Salaria in Umbria is used as a toll free route into Rome.
The northern coastal route SS Aurelia from Ventimiglia to Rome is filled with speed cameras and that seems to keep things under control.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Dangers of Italian motoring

Originally Posted by philat98
I don't know the SS106 but these Strada Statale are often quite bad. I would say that the SS18 that runs from Napoli to Reggio Calabria is the most frightening road I have driven on in Italy. I think the SS roads are often used to avoid the motorway tolls like the Salaria in Umbria is used as a toll free route into Rome.
The northern coastal route SS Aurelia from Ventimiglia to Rome is filled with speed cameras and that seems to keep things under control.
The SS 18 was part of my daily commute before I retired, on the stretch from Naples to Pompei. At the time the 15 year job of widening the A3 was ongoing, and we were often diverted onto the SS18. That's why I had a Landrover. :-)
Also frequently ran the Aurelia between Civitivecchia and Livorno.ditto Landrover.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plan B
My pet hates are:
1. The huge number of drivers using mobile phones. Men and women, with and without passengers, and frequently in new models which must surely have hands-free connectivity.
They aren't making telephone calls, usually, they are checking facebook/whatsapp etc!
I recently bought a car and put a new stereo in it, one with bluetooth and hands free. I took it back to the garage to have a minor problem sorted and he wondered why I'd bothered to change it. I said - so I can answer the phone while I'm driving? - and he just laughed.....
Old Jul 25th 2018, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

Not just drivers: also, incredibly, motorbike riders...
Old Jul 26th 2018, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Accetturese
They aren't making telephone calls, usually, they are checking facebook/whatsapp etc!
I recently bought a car and put a new stereo in it, one with bluetooth and hands free. I took it back to the garage to have a minor problem sorted and he wondered why I'd bothered to change it. I said - so I can answer the phone while I'm driving? - and he just laughed.....
It's like all modern cars have aircon.They still drive around here with the window open to save fuel,lol.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Well aircon halves your mileage, and at 1.60 a litre, its a lot cheaper to lower a window. Also aircon is not good - makes you ill - its not normal going from 40 degrees to sitting in a fridge for half an hour to get out into 40 degrees again. Personal opinion obviously, but I avoid it wherever possible.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Modicasa. Anyway I was a passenger in a car not so long ago with the aircon turned up and the windows open just to confuse Brian.

Last edited by philat98; Jul 26th 2018 at 12:47 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

MPG reduction with aircon and open window is debatable,definately not half though.Give me the fridge anyday,although not quite a fridge with climate control.