Reload this Page >

Crisis in Italy ??

Crisis in Italy ??

Old Oct 29th 2008, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

selinuntina is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crisis in Italy ??

Originally Posted by nbrome
And we live in the same place! Who do you speak to?
Come and visit me at work any day and see the other side. We have only the legal immigrants. Lots of refugees looking for work and no sign of work or benefit of any kind. Rome is just not that good a place to find factory or building work anyway.
Anyway, I don't want to dwell on immigrants. Just one example of an Italian in difficulty, one of many: someone who has worked alot in nero through necessity, brought up a family, paid rent, has children maybe at university or just finishing school, his health fails (tumour, dialysis, serious accident etc) and just can't work full stop. He has absolutely no income. No sick pay, no unemployment, no social security. Maybe family members try to get jobs and pay the rent. But maybe they can't manage and they get evicted eventually. Maybe they end up in shelters, and they actually stay there 'cos there is no way out. If you don't have a family to support you then it's the end.
I'm not making this up, I could give you lots of examples.
The govenment really needs to change the system to help these people. My friend runs a factory here and said she pays people 800 euro for a full day week. they are on part time contracts but work full time. She said the govenment make it hard for employees to pay their workers properly as they have too much tax to pay.
Don't know how true this is.
Your job must be hard, seeing such situations every day.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Wiffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris120
I can't believe that there are people that poor in Italy.
You can't be serious? I too live in Rome and know many people who scrape by and people who can't scrape by. People who monthly have to make a choice between paying the rent and buying food. Couples whose combined salary is 1400 euros. People who are so deep in debt, getting out is not an option. It's really sad.

There is always the otherside of the coin of course. Professionals with well paying jobs etc.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 5:19 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by selinuntina
The govenment really needs to change the system to help these people. My friend runs a factory here and said she pays people 800 euro for a full day week. they are on part time contracts but work full time. She said the govenment make it hard for employees to pay their workers properly as they have too much tax to pay.
Don't know how true this is.
Your job must be hard, seeing such situations every day.
I have always heard and indeed was told my ex boss that employers do not like part-time contracts as they have to pay more tax on them.

After my maternity leave I was point blankly refused the option of returning to the same job part-time. I quit in the end.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Basically the whole bloody thing stinks dont you think ??????

Anyway went to work today and it was like the twilight zone - a handful of us in an enormous factory - all the machinery was off - not a soul in sight and the music of the twilight zone kept playing in my head .......
One of my students said it was like The Day After .......maybe she was right !
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

ashleykarim is an unknown quantity at this point

Things were bad in sicily before the financial crisis.... its even more worse now!!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

There's been a financial crisis in Naples for as long as I've known.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:17 am
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Okay I am new to all this so can one of you guys explain a few of these terms

Nero = ??

busta paga = ??

regola = ??

I have been offered a job at a school 10 euro per hour after deductions, 20 hours per week, and that it will rise to 13 per hour when I show my Certificates, is this a realistic amount to life on, I will be (Possibly) in the Tuscany region.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My small amount of Italian includes these 3 words so

nero - working outside of the tax system, no paperwork etc

busta paga - pay packet

regola - all in order ie on the books

Linda

Last edited by lindaf; Jan 14th 2009 at 12:06 pm. Reason: wrong word!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:58 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lindaf
Hi

My small amount of Italian includes these 3 words so

nero - working outside of the tax system, no paperwork etc

busta paga - pay packet

regola - all in order ie on the books

Linda

Thank you Linda, I had made an educated guess to that effect but wanted to be certain, the village I visited recently in Tuscany seemed to only have nero workers lol, including the two teachers I met, they seemed very happy with their life, had a lovely place to live and said the were even saving for their retirement, it was on their recommendation that I decided to study the TEFL course and take the plunge, the nerve racking part will be in Feb when I have to give notice of my house tenancy, there will be no going back after that lol
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:25 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Or the three words could end up naughtily being mixed up which for some people is unfortunately unavoidable.

Let's say a person is working an 8 hour day but only getting a 'bust paga' for 4 hours. The other four hours are paid in 'nero' so that person still wouldn't be completely and legally 'in regola'.