Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

A crime against Italy and pasta?

A crime against Italy and pasta?

Old Dec 13th 2014, 7:20 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A crime against Italy and pasta?

Originally Posted by sunnysider
What's this thing with Italians and salt Lorna?
I personally think that they use too much of it. I have nothing against salted pasta water or a bit of salted broth in soup etc. What I don't like is the bad habit of reaching out for salt before you have even tasted your meal. I've seen the chip man wagon on market day shake half a kilo of salt over the fried chips. So unneccesary.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Right, that works, if you keep stirring it, but I am working on other parts of the meal. .... So why is putting oil in the pan not OK? I understand that it is arguably unnecessary.
If oil is added to pasta water,
inhibits the pasta's emulsification process with the sauce
and oil restricts the sauce adhering to the pasta,
just boiling water and keep water/pasta spinning a couple times, walk away.
I don't use alot of salt in the water any more.
Taught by my Sicilian Grandparents, she would salt most sauces using anchovies melted away into medium-high heated pan just prior to adding ingredients, when they're liquified, prep the sauce
Old Jan 12th 2015, 1:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackey_Oz
If oil is added to pasta water,
inhibits the pasta's emulsification process with the sauce
and oil restricts the sauce adhering to the pasta,
just boiling water and keep water/pasta spinning a couple times, walk away. .....
Interesting. I shall have to experiment with "no oil" pasta.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I shall have to experiment with "no oil" pasta.
and never introduce the sauce to the pasta,
introduce the pasta to the sauce(in the pan)
Old Jan 12th 2015, 2:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Most of my pasta dishes comprise introducing the sauce to the pasta (spaghetti) which is already on the plate. Does that make me a bad person?

BTW Both my mother and my wife serve spaghetti that way, and they grew up 3,500 miles apart. FWIW Neither of them have any Italian blood.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Most of my pasta dishes comprise introducing the sauce to the pasta (spaghetti) which is already on the plate. Does that make me a bad person?

BTW Both my mother and my wife serve spaghetti that way, and they grew up 3,500 miles apart. FWIW Neither of them have any Italian blood.
LOL ha ha
just try it .... once at least, add the drained but still slightly wet pasta to the pan with the sauce, on a very low heat, toss a couple of times, watch the gluten emulsify with the sauce, let me know later if you'll ever do it your old way again, trust me
Enjoy.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

And I assume the Lei form is imperative or you'll never hear the end of it?
Old Jan 12th 2015, 8:36 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Pasta to sauce (in the pan, off the heat) every time! Basic Italian cooking! Save a cup of the pasta water before draining in case you drain the pasta to much. This will loosen the sauce and the starch in the water will help it stick to the pasta.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 37100

Pasta to sauce (in the pan, off the heat) every time! Basic Italian cooking! Save a cup of the pasta water before draining in case you drain the pasta to much. This will loosen the sauce and the starch in the water will help it stick to the pasta.
^^and there it is^^
Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:29 am
Account Closed

Beasty is an unknown quantity at this point

Right, that works, if you keep stirring it, but I am working on other parts of the meal. .... So why is putting oil in the pan not OK? I understand that it is arguably unnecessary.
The reason is, oil prevents the sauce you make from sticking to the pasta