Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

COPING IN HEAT & HUMIDITY (without ac)

COPING IN HEAT & HUMIDITY (without ac)

Old May 10th 2009, 7:13 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COPING IN HEAT & HUMIDITY (without ac)

Well, thought I'd revive this one! Bizarrely I am doing the self, same thing I was doing in the previous post on this thread!! I've got the ac on fan only to dry them out and make sure they all work before the heat kicks in! It's quite pleasant actually as all they are doing at the mo' is redistributing the air around the house rather than cooling it!! So, what are your plans this year for keeping cool?? I think cocktail and spritzer recipes should be included too this time!! Pimms, anyone?
Old May 12th 2009, 12:51 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm loving it at the moment.

The place is warming up nicely. The house is too. The washing dries quickly and the clothes are lighter ones anyway.

Winter coats have all been washed and put away.

The mould never ever came back.

Only downside is trying to explain to kids that 8.30pm is still bedtime and not playing out time just beacuse it's still like 4 o'clock in the afternoon. This is when Italian blinds do come in handy, though I never pull them down the whole way leaving a room in total darkness.

A heatwave in July or August is something different though.
Old May 14th 2009, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

I'm having to relearn the best combinations of which windows to leave open and which to close (with the blinds down) in order to keep the house cool. However, the children are still wearing vests and I haven't taken the duvets away yet. You can take the girl out of England but etc. etc.
Old May 14th 2009, 9:42 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

We've still got the duvets on - it is nippy at night still, but it is getting better. My house thermometer for the heating doesn't go below 25 at the mo' ( I don't mean I have the heating on and at 25 btw.....)

Antonia came out of her vests a few weeks ago but I've noticed most kids at ballet are still in theirs! My Northern Italian friend is still firmly in hers too! I'm not quite in sandals yet but my tights and jeans have been given a firm goodbye! I love wearing a skirt in summer! I managed to buy quite a few white cotton ones in the UK on sale last June - summer was crap so they were reducing them fast!! Good for me though!
Old May 14th 2009, 10:18 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Duvets and vests still on and sandals not out just yet. Not that hot yet up here...still fairly changeable.

Bare feet and ballerina pumps are out though and light cotton trousers. Skirts with a layer of fake tan (for me).

Chloe fell over yesterday and ripped a hole in her nice new 3/4 length trousers.

The hole is fairly low so I think I'll shorten them to knee length ones as she doesn't have many left now that fit her and are not winter ones. I don't care what she plays out in but she still has school until June 9th.

Lovely to have the windows open though without a cold draught coming in.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

About 25 at the most here but must admit that we have ditched vests and are now in our sandals much to most peoples amusment. Still quite changable though....
Old May 14th 2009, 7:30 pm
The Original Red Head!

Looking at the sky tonight I think I spoke too soon....looks like rain!
Old May 15th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

raining here today and last night feels all muggy and humid. Mi non piace!!
Old May 15th 2009, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by indiebird
"I no like" wrong way round .............. non mi piace.

(sorry)
Old May 15th 2009, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Lorna!! I do it all the time.... must sound like a right 'foreigner' eh??
Old May 15th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by indiebird
We've got rain too. I can only blame myself - I bought some garden chairs on Wednesday
Old May 15th 2009, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LivingHere
We've got rain too. I can only blame myself - I bought some garden chairs on Wednesday
I thought it was my fault for thinking about getting the mower out to 'do' the grass!!
Old May 19th 2009, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

As someone in the HVAC business in the US, what would be the cost of installing AC in a typical family home, say around 2000 SF?
Old May 20th 2009, 8:48 am
The Original Red Head!

Surly - I wouldn't know, mine were in when we came to the house. I would google a shop like Euronics or Expert who sell them for you to install and that at least will give you a unit cost to start with. Otherwise google Daikin - they are my brand but you can buy them direct from their shops here, there will almost certainly be some way of talking, e-mailing someone there to find out a rough estimate.
Old May 20th 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Surly - I wouldn't know, mine were in when we came to the house. I would google a shop like Euronics or Expert who sell them for you to install and that at least will give you a unit cost to start with. Otherwise google Daikin - they are my brand but you can buy them direct from their shops here, there will almost certainly be some way of talking, e-mailing someone there to find out a rough estimate.
Thanks for the info.
I was curious as I get the impression a/c is rare in private homes in Italy, and perhaps the cost was high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.