Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

COPING IN HEAT & HUMIDITY (without ac)

COPING IN HEAT & HUMIDITY (without ac)

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:56 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default COPING IN HEAT & HUMIDITY (without ac)

Hi Guys

Well the "where the hell is summer" thread attracted a lot of attention ........

and now that it finally seems to have arrived - here's a new one.

What are your tricks for coping with the heat - especially in the evenings ?

Do you have ceiling fans ?

Do you periodically let cold water run over your pulse points trying to cool your blood?

Do you just sit with a jug of something cold and sweat it out not moving ?

Do you sweat it all out thinking you might lose a pound or two ?

Do you put ice cubes in a hot-water bottle ?

Do you toss and turn in the heat trying to find a cool patch on the sheets ?

All tips gratefully accepted ........................
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future
Default Re: COPING IN HEAT & HUMIDITY (without ac)

I lie back and think of engerland!! LOL!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:59 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

OR - do you just get so drunk that you could sleep anywhere in any temperature and not be too bothered by the heat and warm sheets ?????

That might be my choice tonight - it will be more a case of just collapsing into bed and sleeping no matter what, rather than going to bed and trying to actually get to sleep !!!!!!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:01 pm

yeah right -----------is anyhting more unpleasant than a hot sweaty body on top of you when you're boiling up anyway ????

Well - it's not my evening tipple anyway. No offence to who might like it !
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

doesnt that depend on whose sweaty body it is?!
anyway, on a serious note, as keeping cool is after all a serious business, i dont have any great ideas. i hate having to rush around in the heat so i spose i try and avoid having to do so during the heat of the day. its my car that is a real nightmare. its an old clapped out punto and you roast in it when you have to stop , and then when you get going again and you have the windows down it gets so blowy and you cant hear anything and your barnett gets all messed up- by the way thats my 3 year old daughters complaint, not mine! but i remember when i was preggas, and somehow i managed to be pregnant both times in the summer, and the summer was torture. my legs swelled up and i used to shower them wih cold water which helped a lot. in fact it still helps to make me feel better.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:19 pm

yes - it would depend on whose body it was

The cold water thing does work for a while - like i said on another thread - the bidet is great for cooling down hot feet and ankles.

I suppose i was lucky that my kids were born end of May and beginning of June but even though I wasn't heavily pregnant, I had the baby and after baby stuff going on to contend with in extreme temps.

But we all got through it ............. and so will Duffer and OH have to !
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

mmmm, new born baby in this heat. stressful! i would worry about over heating and dehydrating and so on.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:25 pm

well - Dufer is not here to comment and his OH won't know yet - but if baby breast feeds well then the first part of the milk is all anti - thirst stuff and then comes the full fat kind of stuff.

That's what I was told anyway and my kids never seemed to suffer ...... but i did also give them a quick dip in the bathroom sink when it was very hot. Even babies can get sweaty and I always thought that a bit of cool freshness wouldn't kill them ............ and so far it hasn't !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:35 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

My friend (in UK! - but sometimes it does get hot!!) sticks a wet towel in front of an electric fan and says this really brings the temp down in her daughters room.

What about those little evaporative coolers? I have one that is a heater too, but haven't used it as a cooler....I have AC.

Alex was born in one the UK's memorable heatwaves - 1995 if you are interested! It last from his birthday in April right through to September. They were shouting drought and alsorts as usual. I can remember getting the midwife out 'cos he was floppy and not eating! First she removed his cardi, then his all in one and then his vest.... then she said he might like his milk (bottle-fed) cold not heated in the microwave - can you tell I didn't have a mum around!! He survived though!!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
My friend (in UK! - but sometimes it does get hot!!) sticks a wet towel in front of an electric fan and says this really brings the temp down in her daughters room.

What about those little evaporative coolers? I have one that is a heater too, but haven't used it as a cooler....I have AC.

Alex was born in one the UK's memorable heatwaves - 1995 if you are interested! It last from his birthday in April right through to September. They were shouting drought and alsorts as usual. I can remember getting the midwife out 'cos he was floppy and not eating! First she removed his cardi, then his all in one and then his vest.... then she said he might like his milk (bottle-fed) cold not heated in the microwave - can you tell I didn't have a mum around!! He survived though!!
I wasn't going to say it as i posted this thread but I was thinking ...............

Ummmhhhh ---- TestaRossa has air conditioning at home in Florence so what can she say to this ??????
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:53 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

World's Best Gatecrasher!

Have you seen the photo's over on the Spain forum from their meet up this weekend. Really beautiful place and a handsome donkey!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:02 pm

donkey - would that be one of the expats ?????
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

I would definitely get air con. Otherwise, open every door and window and hope that some breeze will pass through the house. (some Italian person will then probably tell you that breeze/wind is bad for you, but just pretend you don't understand whilst basking in the bit of breeze you've found)
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:18 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
I would definitely get air con. Otherwise, open every door and window and hope that some breeze will pass through the house. (some Italian person will then probably tell you that breeze/wind is bad for you, but just pretend you don't understand whilst basking in the bit of breeze you've found)
The breeze in Spain is more like a hair dryer, here it`s best to keep everything closed. I know it sounds strange, but it works.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
OR - do you just get so drunk that you could sleep anywhere in any temperature and not be too bothered by the heat and warm sheets ?????

That might be my choice tonight - it will be more a case of just collapsing into bed and sleeping no matter what, rather than going to bed and trying to actually get to sleep !!!!!!!!
This method works .......

but I wouldn't reccomend it every night !!!!!!!!!!!

Now where are the paracetamol tablets ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.