Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Is Amazon the cheapest?

Is Amazon the cheapest?

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

sellymack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Amazon the cheapest?

Just while I'm waiting to watch Jonathan Ross making his comeback...(not that I really care), I'm searching for the cheapest way to get some paperbacks delivered to my house from the Uk. Is Amazon the cheapest? They add on VAT and P&P, so the total seems to be quite a bit higher than you are led to believe.
Any "dritte" from anyone? Cheers!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Amazon the cheapest?

Originally Posted by sellymack
Just while I'm waiting to watch Jonathan Ross making his comeback...(not that I really care), I'm searching for the cheapest way to get some paperbacks delivered to my house from the Uk. Is Amazon the cheapest? They add on VAT and P&P, so the total seems to be quite a bit higher than you are led to believe.
Any "dritte" from anyone? Cheers!
I use

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBS...S/homepage.php
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, I'll take a look.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:21 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I'll take a look.

We uase amazon or http://www.play.com/
depending on whos doing the best deal
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:32 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's books im looking for books I use Abebooks It's a good source for first editions they are used but the condition is rated. I have had a few mint First editions from the states at not to bad a price.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jan 23rd 2009 at 10:34 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks alot for your replies. Looking at the book depository compared to Amazon I think most of the prices seem to level out: cheaper initial prices on Amazon plus p&p and vat, against more expensive prices on the Book depository, but free delivery. At least now I've got some comparison sites to check anyway. Ta very much.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks alot for your replies. Looking at the book depository compared to Amazon I think most of the prices seem to level out: cheaper initial prices on Amazon plus p&p and vat, against more expensive prices on the Book depository, but free delivery. At least now I've got some comparison sites to check anyway. Ta very much.
So how about play.com?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:18 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
So how about play.com?
Wow! Well I've just learnt something new! Thanks! I thought they only did DVD's and games! Another site to look at! I use CD Wow and HMV but HMV charges postage and CD Wow isn't that reliable - hit and miss for stuff being in stock. HMV on-line does normally have the best games deals though, but I'll check out Play as well from now on!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:44 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using Play for donkeys years even before their internet site existed. I used them to buy Nintendo 64 games for about £45 when they were £60 in the shops.

TR - I'm sure I've mentioned them to you previously! If buying from Play, I highly recommend you sign up to Quidco.co.uk which is a cashback site paying 6% on game purchases (or 4% on cd-wow). Unlike other cashback sites, Quidco does take a commission on the cashback, instead they take the first £5 of your yearly cashback total. Therefore you don't actually get any cashback if you haven't earned £5 in a year.

VAT is already included in the price on Amazon at the local rate, i.e. 15% if using the co.uk site. Depending on your delivery address this is adjusted to your local rate.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:42 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

duffer - have you used Play Trader? They have some great deals on original Xbox games and son wants Halo and Halo2. It has been impossible to find them before this. Maybe on Amazon marketplace but I have had too many things not turn up here from them, marketplace that is. I think some dealers see the address and think they can get away with not sending the stuff. You may well have mentioned them, sorry! Now we have the Wii too a cheap source of games is definitely needed and CD wow is driving me mad - constantly out of stock!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:30 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I have only used them once and that was very recently to buy Fusion Frenzy 2 for the 360 for £5.69 - like with you for Halo, when some older games are unavailable, it's a good option.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:42 pm
The Original Red Head!

Alex is in London with his dad at the mo'. They have just been to Zavi(?) the one that is closing down, he got Fallout3 for the 360 for £18!