Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Jan 14th 2022, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by Accetturese View Post
I ordered various impossible to find things from British Essentials, on 26th Nov. The parcel arrived this morning, so about 6 or 7 weeks wait.
Expensive, but if you have to have these things, you just gotta pay!
The first review on their web page says "Quick service as usual"
Old Jan 14th 2022, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

I used British Corner Shop in the week before Christmas - four items only - and they arrived within a few days - very pleased with the speed especially at that busy time.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

campos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lugsbug View Post
I used British Corner Shop in the week before Christmas - four items only - and they arrived within a few days - very pleased with the speed especially at that busy time.
I suspect this might be the only solution
I often wonder how many Italians buy other British brands which are readily available even in my local chain supermarket Esselunga, such as HP sauce and Lea and Perrins. I guess Marmite is in another league of culinary cultural cross over...
Old Jan 19th 2022, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

SY108 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brian12 View Post
LOL,I was gonna say try some L&P in the baked bean experiment.Trial and error.
I finally found a nice recipe on youtube which has great results and can be varied to suit your taste.
This one includes L&P along with many other ingredients.
I found that it makes a difference which beans you use and therefore another way to adapt the recipe to suit your taste.

Link to the video recipe I used.
Old Jan 20th 2022, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

We have made our own baked beans in the past, with mixed results.
There are a couple of Asian supermarkets within driving distance. Useful mainly for eastern ingredients, they also stock quite a few things that are hard to find - evaporated milk and tins of corned beef.
I have found an expat store in Geneva, next to the french border that sells frozen sausages and back bacon, the sausages are made in Switzerland, using an english recipe. I will be stocking up next time I am in the area.
Old Jan 20th 2022, 8:51 am
Just Joined

SY108 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in Piemonte Italy the supermarkets which stocked baked beans are so inconsistent with supply.
Nearest decent asian supermarkets are either in Genoa or Milan. For us its quite a trek, so we stock up when we are there, especially from Milan where there are large wholesaler suppliers, entry is only possible by trade membership ( a friend allows us to use theirs)
From this recipe i posted the results have been very consistent and once I followed with all the ingredients, I now know the taste it offered and can modify to my taste, as I remember the flavour.
I am aware that in and round Carpi (Emilia Romania) there are many asian supermarkets which all have a different variety of items. Modena also has some Turkish suppliers which add another dimension to the pantry.
Old Feb 11th 2022, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

Lidl has thier decent lager on sale from today, for the weekend. It will sell out today, so if you want it you had better hurry, 6.60 for a case of 18 X 500ml.
You should also be able to find pork liver pate, since it is the end of french week.
Old Mar 4th 2022, 10:40 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Lidl's British/Irish week starts on March 10th and looking at the website, they have some new stuff coming for St Patrick's Day, that's if all the Lidls will stock it. My Lidl was very poorly stocked last time.

https://www.lidl.it/c/sapori-dal-mon...erwood/c895/w2
Old Mar 4th 2022, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

We are here in the Uk and my brother told me it was Italian week , but they had little of it.... I wonder if this is a case of supply issues throughout. We are finding lots of our normal food stuff is not available. Some of this is to do with the big supermarkets trying to squeeze suppliers, but I think a lot is transport/supply issues...
Old Mar 4th 2022, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn View Post
We are here in the Uk and my brother told me it was Italian week , but they had little of it.... I wonder if this is a case of supply issues throughout. We are finding lots of our normal food stuff is not available. Some of this is to do with the big supermarkets trying to squeeze suppliers, but I think a lot is transport/supply issues...
There dont seem to have been any missing food products in our local supermarkets. Our Coop used to have a British food week but after the Brexit vote it vanished. There dont seem to have been many French or German food promotions either.
Old Mar 7th 2022, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Good timing from Lidl. We have just run out of the cheddar we bought at the end of October.
Has anybody seen that tangy pickle before? We will buy a couple of jars, but if it is a good substitute for Branston, we could stock up!
Old Apr 9th 2022, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Beer on offer again this coming Friday and Saturday, 7.08 per case of 18 - which works out to less than 40 cents per tin.
Old May 23rd 2022, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Anyone living near a branch of Lidl. They recently had an american week, and the ice cream is still available. It is as nice as Ben and Jerry's!
Old May 24th 2022, 7:12 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

The Mcennedy brand bacon rashers they sell during American week aren't bad. Haven't tried the ice cream.