Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Dec 16th 2020, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by Margaret M
Never seen swede down here in Puglia - any substitute suggestions?
We grow our own from seed. I do love swede in an irish stew, or diced with carrots.
We also grow parsnips and turnips since you cannot buy them here. Suttons seeds deliver to Italy at a reasonable price.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

I would certainly grow them if we were still there, friends have tried parsnips with mixed success. We also grew carrots which were great one year and a total failure the next. Experimentation is fun, but eating of the produce is the superb bit. A friend has sent me pictures yesterday of leeks and chard to die for, I'm so jealous !
Old Dec 16th 2020, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried growing parsnips here, but the flavour wasn't as good - I think it may be due to the lack of deep frosts.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

I have tried growing parsnips here, but the flavour wasn't as good - I think it may be due to the lack of deep frosts.
Hi,was it you I discussed the unavailability of coriander?No matter,I was in Lidl UK yesterday and a big bunch of it had grown in Italy label stuck on it,lol.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian12
Hi,was it you I discussed the unavailability of coriander?No matter,I was in Lidl UK yesterday and a big bunch of it had grown in Italy label stuck on it,lol.
That would be about right. Still can't find coriander here though. Could have been me, I have raised the subject before.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Esselunga has an advert for Quality Street chocolates on offer from 17 dec
Old Dec 17th 2020, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

@Margaret, the Asian spice shop in Brindisi often has fresh coriander. I used to get all of my spices there, tea bags too. Quite a few of us grew our own as well, I found seeds in the big discount store on the new retail park opposite the hospital. It seemed to grow well on the west side of the house. I also planted some in direct sunlight, it went from perfect to seed in few days.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Coriander prefers the cold, I would look at planting late in the year. The best we ever had was planted late summer/autumn and after coming back from England in January to 10cm of snow over it we had thick lush coriander, but only for a few months.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanNico
@Margaret, the Asian spice shop in Brindisi often has fresh coriander.
Is that the one near the station - I don't get down to Brindisi that often though. I did plant seeds once, but went to seed very quickly. May try again if I can get some seeds when I am down there.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, almost opposite the Vodafone shop. He's a nice guy and seems to stock quite a few ex-pat treats.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

We had an Indian grocer 3 miles up the road but he closed this year.Handy for gram flour we use for onion bajhis.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanNico
Yes, almost opposite the Vodafone shop. He's a nice guy and seems to stock quite a few ex-pat treats.
Amazingly Famila had so this morning, so stocked up with some to freeze. Now just have to track down fresh sage until the tiny plant in the garden grows.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

The sage plant will take no time at all to grow, your problem will be keeping it under control! We brought back a rooting for our daughter here in the UK and when we came back took a cutting from that for ourselves. Not quite up to the aroma of that in Italy, but grows just as vigorously
Old Dec 18th 2020, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Is that the one near the station - I don't get down to Brindisi that often though. I did plant seeds once, but went to seed very quickly. May try again if I can get some seeds when I am down there.
When it goes to seed-which it does very quickly just save theseeds and grow again the following year.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pica
When it goes to seed-which it does very quickly just save theseeds and grow again the following year.
I'll have to freeze as much as I can before it goes to see then - I love coriander.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.