Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Apr 19th 2019, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Thanks,Lorna and Mark.My OH said she saw tofu in the Coop today.I'll google what you do with that.It's easier being a carnivore,lol.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1
Thanks,Lorna and Mark.My OH said she saw tofu in the Coop today.I'll google what you do with that.It's easier being a carnivore,lol.
Even as a vegetarian I'm not keen on tofu! .. but do try out all the alternatives.

Happy (meat-free) Easter everyone.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,we bought 2 packs of tofu in the Coop reduced to 69c each.Had tofu spagbol last night.I didn't mind it,but the OH didn't like the texture or taste.We'll try a stir fry next time,cheers,Brian.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

For "spag bol" Quorn 'macinato' is best.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 7:42 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Tofu is just a whole lot of nothing unless marinated or spiced up and lots of flavour added to it. It would probably work better in stir fry.

Old Apr 30th 2019, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

I think it's making do with what we can get here.Quorn would be great if we could get it.Another disaster,Lidl have stopped selling baked beans.Tried cannellini beans with passata and lea and Perrins,not good.It's down to getting Heinz at the Coop for 2.80,lol.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I would keep trying the cannellini, but different ingredients, perhaps a few herbs such as basil (best fresh) or what's in season, oregano should be around now and sage. If you like chilli I can recommend a small amount gives that spice. Obviously the big companies all use salt and suger, albeit these days in less amounts, but best avoided I think...
Old Apr 30th 2019, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

I thought my concoction was ok,but again my OH wasn't happy.All the extra herbs and things will probably make things worse for her,lol.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Tofu is just a whole lot of nothing unless marinated or spiced up and lots of flavour added to it. It would probably work better in stir fry.
That's what our daughter back home suggested.She's a vegi and not keen on tofu.Or mushrooms and aubergines,narrows the field for her a bit,lol.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

It takes a while to change eating habits and a lot of effort trying different things - "piano, piano" Oh, and don't let them see what you put in it! If they could see what went into Heinz they may think twice....
Old May 1st 2019, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

REAL turkey stew tonight,thats healthy.
Old May 3rd 2019, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

This may be heresy but I've never really missed baked beans, with all the other bean dishes in Italy (pasta e fagioli, cavolo nero with cannellini). Still I've found that cannellini or borlotti can be livened up with a soffritto of onion and some passata, not far off the real thing.
Old May 3rd 2019, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

The stew we've just had contains every bean and pulse known to man in Italy.We still like an English fryup now and then,lol.
Old May 3rd 2019, 10:40 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1
The stew we've just had contains every bean and pulse known to man in Italy.We still like an English fryup now and then,lol.
My fry up MUST have real, nice bacon. I can live without Heinz beans, but good bacon is just scrummy.
Old May 4th 2019, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
My fry up MUST have real, nice bacon. I can live without Heinz beans, but good bacon is just scrummy.
I'm going to upset you now,but we drive over with a years supply of bacon and bangers.Don't anyone lecture me on great Italian bangers,they can't compare to Lincoln and Cumberland,lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.