Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
There's not a lot of cultivation in Trentino, it's mainly berries, soft fruit & vineyards and what is left over is largely left for corn & potatoes. That said, I still find it astonishing that parsnips aren't available in the shops.

I'm with you on roasted parsnips, they're glorious.

As for Brian's comment, we've been invited on several outings, which are usually a lot of fun and quite an experience. I do love how an Italian "picnic" involves transporting the entire contents of your house to a field!
Hi,this was in a building with a kitchen and long dining area with an outside covered barbie and pizza oven.All this was in the middle of tiered olive groves,veggie and herb areas,chickens etc.They start wild boar hunting next month.They normally play Calabrian folk music and songs after with guitar,accordian and tambourines.Amazing this is what I call getting immersed in the culture.Cheers,Brian.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Ace, sounds like a film set!

We've noticed round here if you want to get one of the tables in the forest clearings or a good spot with a view, you have to pitch up by about 9am. Usually with a trailer full of trestle tables for the rest of the party.

Torgellen season here and the transhumance (cows coming down from the high pastures). Can't beat it.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ace, sounds like a film set!

We've noticed round here if you want to get one of the tables in the forest clearings or a good spot with a view, you have to pitch up by about 9am. Usually with a trailer full of trestle tables for the rest of the party.

Torgellen season here and the transhumance (cows coming down from the high pastures). Can't beat it.
Yeah,a bit better than Benidorm,lol.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

There is a new supermarket open in Rome, on Via Prenestina, its called Esselunga.

By far the most impressive range of products and services seen so far. If you get their fidelity card, you scan all your shopping and at the end scan your receipt and beat the queues.

Roast beef as in the UK, pulled pork, various humus, impressive range of fruit and veg and ready made meals( Italian style, no the sugar and fat laden ones).
Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Check if your area has one here on their site. Looks like they even do on-line shopping!
Old Oct 5th 2017, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
There is a new supermarket open in Rome, on Via Prenestina, its called Esselunga.

By far the most impressive range of products and services seen so far. If you get their fidelity card, you scan all your shopping and at the end scan your receipt and beat the queues.

Roast beef as in the UK, pulled pork, various humus, impressive range of fruit and veg and ready made meals( Italian style, no the sugar and fat laden ones).

There are several in Parma and they often have great offers . They are also currently stocking Fever Tree ginger beer which is my favourite and last year for a while they had Sainbury's muesli and porridge .
Old Oct 5th 2017, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
There are several in Parma and they often have great offers . They are also currently stocking Fever Tree ginger beer which is my favourite and last year for a while they had Sainbury's muesli and porridge .

Yes, I remember the ginger beer! And the porridge in a tin.

Lots of different cuts of meat and at good prices. I also saw for the first time American ready made pancakes. Not cheap though.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realize there was one in Rome , up until now its been based in the North , mainly Milan and surrounding area .
Old Oct 11th 2017, 7:03 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
I didn't realize there was one in Rome , up until now its been based in the North , mainly Milan and surrounding area .
Not as far North as I am though. My friend in Florence used to use their delivery service a lot for heavy things because she didn't have a car. I think they also had a good loyalty card points system.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Local press reporting that Esselunga are in talks to buy a site in Trento for a new store. No idea how likely it is but might add a bit of variety to the Regina/Poli/Iperpoli hegemony.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Can anyone tell me what sour cream is in Italian please? I can't find it anywhere- the word nor the product.
Thank you
Old Oct 11th 2017, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Closest I've found is panna acida - in my experience it tends to be long-life and thus not kept in the fridges in shops.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pica
Hi, Can anyone tell me what sour cream is in Italian please? I can't find it anywhere- the word nor the product.
Thank you
I've just read creme fraische or greek yogurt are good substitutes,if so these can be bought in Todis.Cheers,Brian.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1
I've just read creme fraische or greek yogurt are good substitutes,if so these can be bought in Todis.Cheers,Brian.
Thanks Brian, guess I'll have to make do with substitutes
Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Closest I've found is panna acida - in my experience it tends to be long-life and thus not kept in the fridges in shops.
So not the lovely stuff I used to buy in the UK?-what a shame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.