Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Salt'n'vinegar crisps? You can keep 'em, I never could stand that flavour! Cheese'n'onion are fine and I like Lidl's paprika crisps.

What's this about set yogurt? Does that mean solid yogurt that doesn't slither out of the container if you tilt it, and leaves a well-defined hole if you take a spoonful? In other words yogurt as it should always be? I find Greek yogurt is fine. Esselunga (and the Coop too if I remember rightly) sell a good make: FAGE, also written in the Greek alphabet as ΦΑΓΕ. It's plain, though; I don't think you'll find it sweetened or with fruit flavours.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

I am trying out a new recipe and its says to add

5 cl of white wine.

Do me a favour someone and tell me how many level tablespoons that is.
If it turns out well, you are welcome to come round and try it.

Thank you
Old Oct 12th 2012, 9:09 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pugliese
I am trying out a new recipe and its says to add

5 cl of white wine.

Do me a favour someone and tell me how many level tablespoons that is.
If it turns out well, you are welcome to come round and try it.

Thank you
about 4 tablespoons
Old Oct 12th 2012, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

Esselunga in La Spezia sometimes sell the Fage Greek yoghurt with honey or blueberries, but not always. And if anyone wants some Yorkshire Tea teabags for hard water, I've got a massive box of 240 my mum sent me. I'm on decaff now too as preggers.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jonwel

What's this about set yogurt? Does that mean solid yogurt that doesn't slither out of the container if you tilt it, and leaves a well-defined hole if you take a spoonful? In other words yogurt as it should always be? .
I disagree that it's how yoghurt should always be as I prefer the runny kind with fruit in, but yes, that's what I meant.

Sent my OH off to Lidl today as we were busy with hospital appointments yesterday and everything's gone!
Old Oct 16th 2012, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by K in Modena
I disagree that it's how yoghurt should always be as I prefer the runny kind with fruit in, but yes, that's what I meant.
(
Well, I sometimes make yogurt by the Greek home-made method (in an earthenware pot, with a blanket round it for 8-10 hours, rather than these "yogurt-makers" they sell in the shops). It always comes out nice and solid (but if you stir in fruit it becomes runnier). But that's starting from the Greek stuff. Maybe starting from another make you'll get it nice and sloppy.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Well, I sometimes make yogurt by the Greek home-made method (in an earthenware pot, with a blanket round it for 8-10 hours, rather than these "yogurt-makers" they sell in the shops). It always comes out nice and solid (but if you stir in fruit it becomes runnier). But that's starting from the Greek stuff. Maybe starting from another make you'll get it nice and sloppy.
No, there are plenty of "normal" yoghurts to be had here so I don't need to make my own. I was wondering about the set ones because my daughter got into eating them when we were in the UK but she's back onto ordinary ones now. As for me, I'm banned from eating them by my dietician!
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

All that was left in Lidl La Spezia were some potato waffles and the crisps and a few packet of shortcake. I don't think they even had the cheddar in the first place. We asked a few of the staff, but as usual in this city, if they don't know what it is, or they don't have an answer, they say 'non esite'.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 8:11 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballerina
All that was left in Lidl La Spezia were some potato waffles and the crisps and a few packet of shortcake. I don't think they even had the cheddar in the first place. We asked a few of the staff, but as usual in this city, if they don't know what it is, or they don't have an answer, they say 'non esite'.
I went Monday first thing. Got some cheddar. You can have a block if you are passing. I can actual buy cheddar in Verona occasionally. Do you ever go down to Viareggio for some?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

no, although I have heard the rumours! I will be going to England next week so I'll stock up then. OH bought some back from England last time, but waited for me to get back a week later to unpack the bags, and it had all melted in the heat! What a div!
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Fortunately my parents are coming in two weeks so can bring some cheddar. However, I think the most disappointed of the two of us was OH because he had his eye on the bag of frozen fish and chips!
Old Oct 17th 2012, 8:07 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballerina
no, although I have heard the rumours! I will be going to England next week so I'll stock up then. OH bought some back from England last time, but waited for me to get back a week later to unpack the bags, and it had all melted in the heat! What a div!
Look up 'Richmond's English Shop' on FB.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 3:44 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
I went Monday first thing. Got some cheddar. You can have a block if you are passing. I can actual buy cheddar in Verona occasionally. Do you ever go down to Viareggio for some?
Where in Verona? Do they have it at the supermarket in Le Corti Venete?
Old Nov 1st 2012, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

claudius is an unknown quantity at this point

Please can you jonwel tell me how to make some....need Greek as the starter but have never done it before so help welcomed...
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by claudius
Please can you jonwel tell me how to make some....need Greek as the starter but have never done it before so help welcomed...
Hi Claudius, have a look at your private messages...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.