Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Jun 23rd 2012, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by Twinkle Canelli
One of my regular quick and easy dinners used to be smoked salmon and prawns stirred into creme fraiche and mixed through pasta.... have tried it with the panna here but it's a bit too rich and creamy (and probably unhealthy!!) for us to have often.

Eurospin is just opening a branch here so will look in there when it's open - sounds interesting as sour cream is something else we miss. Did try mixing lemon juice into panna but it wasn't the same..... Is Eurospin like Lidl's in that it has special weeks for different types of food? Or do they always sell the same range??
The panna acida I got yesterday was in the delli's department, mixed with lots of Romanian food( got also some nice cabanos).
Having said that, it is made in Germany and I have bought the same one before in a big Auchan.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Does anyone know what you can use for baking soda. I have found several recipes recently (American) that use both baking powder AND baking soda together. From what I have Googled so far baking soda is similar to bicarbonate of soda "but they are not interchangeable"?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:01 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret M
Does anyone know what you can use for baking soda. I have found several recipes recently (American) that use both baking powder AND baking soda together. From what I have Googled so far baking soda is similar to bicarbonate of soda "but they are not interchangeable"?
Baking powder .... use the little paper sachets of "lievito"
Baking soda .... use "bicarbonato di soda".
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Baking powder .... use the little paper sachets of "lievito"
Baking soda .... use "bicarbonato di soda".
Thanks Lorna, I brought baking powder back with me a couple of weeks ago. I was just concerned that when I googled the difference it said they weren't interchangeable. I'll give it a go. (did you get the photos?)
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough

I've been looking for cornflour (to use as a thickener in gravy and also to dip tempura in) but have been unable to find it, and my english packet is getting low..... does anybody know if you can buy it here? And what to look for in the supermarket?? Thanks!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

I've been looking for cornflour (to use as a thickener in gravy and also to dip tempura in) but have been unable to find it, and my english packet is getting low..... does anybody know if you can buy it here? And what to look for in the supermarket?? Thanks!
I was stuck on this for several years. It is amido di mais.

Last edited by Margaret M; Jul 2nd 2012 at 11:10 am. Reason: corrected spelling of mais.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:09 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lorna, I brought baking powder back with me a couple of weeks ago. I was just concerned that when I googled the difference it said they weren't interchangeable. I'll give it a go. (did you get the photos?)
Yes I did thanks and I wrote back and commented on them. I'll check to make sure I didn't just dream that I did.

You should be fine with bicarbonato. I've used it in recipes before today. You probably only need a teaspoon or so.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:11 am

I was stuck on this for several years. It is amido di maise. Not sure if that is the correct spelling though.
Amido di mais.
It's not readily available though Twinkle so you might have to go to a herbalist shop or a health food place.

Amido is the word for "starch"
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes I did thanks and I wrote back and commented on them. I'll check to make sure I didn't just dream that I did.

You should be fine with bicarbonato. I've used it in recipes before today. You probably only need a teaspoon or so.
sorry, wonder where your reply went. Will give bicarbonato a go.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Amido di mais.
It's not readily available though Twinkle so you might have to go to a herbalist shop or a health food place.

Amido is the word for "starch"
I think I got mine from Auchan.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough

Thanks girls! My UK shopping list is gradually getting smaller and smaller... just wish I could get Tetley tea bags at a reasonable price here!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:28 am

Thanks girls! My UK shopping list is gradually getting smaller and smaller... just wish I could get Tetley tea bags at a reasonable price here!
I've seen PG Tips but never Tetley. At least tea bags are not that heavy to bring back.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
amido de mais i.e. cornflour is always in Todis and Twinings breakfast t bags in Coal-expensive but if you really want it it's available.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Maybe I'm saying something stupid but investigate: I think cornflour is "maizena".
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

hippychick11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it is ! I've always used Maizena for thickening and tempura, It's with the baking stuff at my Interspar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.