Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:17 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by dina1965
googled Esselunga (confirmed, it doesn't exist down south). they sell the rice and at a decent price considering what I was paying here. since OH and son are moaning about my risottos not being to their liking, it looks like we'll be coming up north for a long weekend next month ...
In the meantime I'm trying out a couple of basmati rices
There's a direct train to Florence I think.... Let me know if you do come up!!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
There's a direct train to Florence I think.... Let me know if you do come up!!
car usually. yes, Florence is first on the list as we have friends there. but I've never been to Lucca or Pisa ... OH will hate basmati rice !!!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:37 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dina1965
car usually. yes, Florence is first on the list as we have friends there. but I've never been to Lucca or Pisa ... OH will hate basmati rice !!!
Must admit I prefer the Thai, not quite as strong and pronounced a flavour!! Goes with anything without overpowering it.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Really?? I love basmati.... but then I cook indian food to go with rice as a rule so maybe it's more of a complment to those kind of flavours??!!v
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:37 am
The Original Red Head!

I didn't say I didn't like it, I just prefer Thai.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

bought a pack of thai rice this morning. will make a simple risotto milanese with both rices tomorrow night and do a taste and compare test.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

thai rice won. both said the other had a "funny" smell.
neither came up to what is considered the usual standard.
back to pasta - or a trip up north !
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:40 pm
The Original Red Head!

Must admit I don't make risotto with it, I just prefer it to other long grain rice. Do you prefer it with long to short grain then?? You could also look out for Japanese rice which is closer to risotto rice. Aren't you committin heresy using long grain?!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Must admit I don't make risotto with it, I just prefer it to other long grain rice. Do you prefer it with long to short grain then?? You could also look out for Japanese rice which is closer to risotto rice. Aren't you committin heresy using long grain?!
YES I've always used long grain. canaroli or arborio are mushy/crunchy - the white centre and roundish grain just seem wrong. long grain gives a nice "clean" risotto ...
I'd be thrown out of Ramsey's kitchen in less than five minutes - it's not the only heresy I commit in the kitchen !!!!!!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 7:08 pm
The Original Red Head!

I can remember friends cooking us a risotto getting on for 17 or more years ago now, their parents had very kindly brought them some risotto rice back from a trip over here. None of us had had risotto made with the correct rice before. The poor bloke that cooked it was soooo apologetic - he just couldn't get it to dry out and it was all sticky and mushy! Know differently now of course.... I think what you are cooking is probably closer to savoury rice as we called it in domestic science at school! I love risotto - made with sticky rice - but I genuinely can't be bovvered standing there stirring it while it cooks! Hence the only time we have rice it's Thai!!! Btw, the Thai is great with meat balls, also made by me with just mince and nothing else, I quite like the polpette up here but I'm the only one that does and the IKEA ones are over seasoned other than when eaten at IKEA....
Old Sep 29th 2010, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I love Risotto made with proper risotto rice. Probably in the UK I didn't really get it... the other stuff will be like Kedgeree type things won't they?? Also very good though. Must admit I used to overcook pasta too until I ate it out here and realised what it should be like. Love the IKEA meatballs or my own homemade ones... I'm not really fussy...
Old Sep 29th 2010, 7:21 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember friends cooking us a risotto getting on for 17 or more years ago now, their parents had very kindly brought them some risotto rice back from a trip over here. None of us had had risotto made with the correct rice before. The poor bloke that cooked it was soooo apologetic - he just couldn't get it to dry out and it was all sticky and mushy! Know differently now of course.... I think what you are cooking is probably closer to savoury rice as we called it in domestic science at school! I love risotto - made with sticky rice - but I genuinely can't be bovvered standing there stirring it while it cooks! Hence the only time we have rice it's Thai!!! Btw, the Thai is great with meat balls, also made by me with just mince and nothing else, I quite like the polpette up here but I'm the only one that does and the IKEA ones are over seasoned other than when eaten at IKEA....
Cheat a bit with risotto like I do. Once you have your basic stir fry ingredients and rice, add enough stock to let it simmr gently for 10 minutes without watching it or stirring it all the time. When the stock runs low add as much as you need as and when you need it until rice is cooked to your taste. Then add butter - cream - cheese - parsley - whatever and serve.

Originally Posted by indiebird
I love Risotto made with proper risotto rice. Probably in the UK I didn't really get it... the other stuff will be like Kedgeree type things won't they?? Also very good though. Must admit I used to overcook pasta too until I ate it out here and realised what it should be like. Love the IKEA meatballs or my own homemade ones... I'm not really fussy...
Over cooked pasta? I still prefer it a minute more than the typical al dente. If it sticks in my molars I don't like it. What's this thing about throwing a few bits of spaghetti to a kitchen cabinet and if it sticks it's cooked? It must be some crap I have seen on USA Wife Swap. Problem is I've seen it more than once on USA Tv.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen a packet mix next to the risotto rice in the supermarkets. It's called (I think) Zafferano). Has any of you tried this - is it actually to be added into risotto and is it good? Thanks
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:51 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

If it's real saffron then it will be expensive.

Risotto alla Milanese is a saffron risotto. The saffron turns it all a yellowy colour.

You only need a small amount of real saffron but the risotto is nice. Don't know what the packet stuff is like.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll give a go. I can't remember the price but I don't think it was much. Had problems with the last risotto I made - grated a piece of my finger into the cheese and used a jar of mushrooms in oil (I wanted to see what they would be like) - altogether not a good risotto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.