Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Oct 24th 2020, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

I think Brian is right, it's down to taste in answer to the OPs question on recipes. There are the obvious Lorna mentioned, but there will be others on the web. In Italy I've seen sausage, I assume cooked normally, chopped and served with pasta oil and herbs. I seem to recall seeing one recipe on a menu similar, but also with lemon... Sausages would not be our choice, but the rest seems fine! Oh and olive oil for us every time, just need to source real stuff here in the UK.
Old Oct 24th 2020, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

We have tried bbc good food recipe, James Martin, and some american site that promised to have recreated the authentic british breakfast sausage.
I suppose we will just have to keep trying.
No, not english week (for the cheddar) but european cheese week.
whole ducks, we can order them from our butcher - he says they are expensive but they aren't really. We have also seen them in Auchan and Eurospin.
Old Oct 24th 2020, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and I love Italian sausage, just not - as someone said - as part of a fry up or in a toad in the hole!
Gino did a great recipe of sausage and beans on his last series in Italy. Lovely dish that we enjoy in the colder months!
I have recently cooked Rick Stein's greek version of lasagna, that he did on his trip to Corfu. Very nice, substituted pecorino for the greek goats cheese. Google Rick Stein Corfu recipe if you want to try it, just skip the cinnamon sticks imo - too sweet.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Branston pickle! Cannot find it here (or any sweet pickle) so found a recipe online and gave it a go. Not bad at all! Shout up if you want the recipe.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Accetturese
Branston pickle! Cannot find it here (or any sweet pickle) so found a recipe online and gave it a go. Not bad at all! Shout up if you want the recipe.
Yes please
Old Nov 25th 2020, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

I like a coffee that is half coffee and half frothed milk, so less milky than a cappuccino but longer than a macchiato. Is there an Italian word for such a thing? Macchiatone?? Or is it so alien to the Italian concept of coffee that it wouldn't be dignified with a name of its own? In England a flat white gets near enough, but I dread to think what would happen if I asked our local bar for a piatto bianco
Old Nov 26th 2020, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heritagestanley
I like a coffee that is half coffee and half frothed milk, so less milky than a cappuccino but longer than a macchiato. Is there an Italian word for such a thing? Macchiatone?? Or is it so alien to the Italian concept of coffee that it wouldn't be dignified with a name of its own? In England a flat white gets near enough, but I dread to think what would happen if I asked our local bar for a piatto bianco

I think ' latte macchiato ' which is a glass of frothy milk with coffee in it not to be confused with ' cafe macchiato ' whch is coffeee with a little milk in it . If you go regularly to the same bar they will quickly learn how you like your coffee and make it for you .
Old Nov 26th 2020, 8:43 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heritagestanley
I asked my daughter who worked as a barista whilst finishing high school. She said if you asked for a macchiatone she'd give you a caffè macchiato but with a drop more milk and it would be in the same sort of cup as a cappuccino. If you ask for a latte macchiato you'd get one espresso in a glass filled up with milk and served with a long spoon. If you really want half and half then you might have to ask for a latte macchiato con extra caffè or with 2 cups of espresso in it.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Margaret M
Yes please
https://www.food.com/recipe/the-almo...-recipe-246675
Most people recommend doubling up on the vinegar and sugar. I did and it worked ok.
It says to use malt vinegar, which you cannot find here, so I used cider vinegar instead.
Old Dec 12th 2020, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Plan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud ofPlan B has much to be proud of

Just received our Christmas goodies pack from the local Comune: a poinsettia, panettone, jams, nougat and a bottle of Prosecco! Thank you, Comune. (One of the benefits of being 70+.)
Old Dec 12th 2020, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plan B
Just received our Christmas goodies pack from the local Comune: a poinsettia, panettone, jams, nougat and a bottle of Prosecco! Thank you, Comune. (One of the benefits of being 70+.)
How nice.... Here in the UK you probably get mugged for Christmas at 70+
Old Dec 12th 2020, 9:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
How nice.... Here in the UK you probably get mugged for Christmas at 70+
On the other hand, mugging in Italy has been institutionalised by INPS, Agenzia Entrate, Equitalia (is it still there?), etc...
Old Dec 12th 2020, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Accetturese
https://www.food.com/recipe/the-almo...-recipe-246675
Most people recommend doubling up on the vinegar and sugar. I did and it worked ok.
It says to use malt vinegar, which you cannot find here, so I used cider vinegar instead.
Never seen swede down here in Puglia - any substitute suggestions?
Old Dec 12th 2020, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by malcom1970
On the other hand, mugging in Italy has been institutionalised by INPS, Agenzia Entrate, Equitalia (is it still there?), etc...
Not a patch on the DWP and HMRC or in fact any of HMG quangos...
Old Dec 12th 2020, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plan B
There are not so many luxuries in Umbria. They replaced a 500m stretch of drinking water pipe on our road in August. The workers left the 4inch diameter plastic pipe on the side of the road attached to tree roots with bits of string. We are still waiting to get it buried before the cold weather arrives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.