Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Cinema, Music, Literature - your recommendations?

Cinema, Music, Literature - your recommendations?

Old May 18th 2010, 4:33 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cinema, Music, Literature - your recommendations?

Hurt Locker is one of the best films I have seen in a long time, but maybe it's just not your thing?? I hated Titanic... Try it in English and see then.
Old May 18th 2010, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

I fell asleep during Hurt Locker too- in English. I saw it as just another boring war film chosen by OH, then it won the Oscar and I thought perhaps I should have made a bit more effort with it!
Old May 18th 2010, 6:18 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Lol! I like the modern ones though, but then as a kid, my dad having actually served in WWII, I saw all the war films, didn't like them all, but saw them. Then OH got a place in Sandhurst, which he didn't take, so the obsession continued...

My favourites as a kid were the funny ones like Kelly's Heroes and MASH..Catch 22 when older, but I grew up on Bridge over the river Kwai etc.. Bizarrely only got to see The Great Escape a few years ago, watched it with my son and we both loved it!

Now, of course, I watch Winx....
Old May 18th 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Hurt Locker is one of the best films I have seen in a long time, but maybe it's just not your thing?? I hated Titanic... Try it in English and see then.
Old May 18th 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=TestaRossa;8574035]Lol! I like the modern ones though, but then as a kid, my dad having actually served in WWII, I saw all the war films, didn't like them all, but saw them. Then OH got a place in Sandhurst, which he didn't take, so the obsession continued...

QUOTE]

Hmm well DH was in the Italian army in the past and served in Bosnia and I just don't like thinking about the kind of dangers he was exposed to so am not a fan of war films in general. He got an award for bravery for rescuing someone from a mine field and nearly got court martialed once for refusing (rightly) to obey the orders of a guy fresh out of the Accademia who wanted him to take his men into a disused building, which DH suspected was riddled with mines- and he was right. So perhaps a film about mine fields is just not for me!
Old May 18th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Recently we saw Remember Me (Pierce Brosnan), good film, really unexpected ending, we saw it in the local town cinema, as usual we were the only two customers. The other day we watched The Last Song, again the only two in the house, my OH enjoyed it and found it moving, I thought it was a bit slow and kept nodding off, I suspect I would have enjoyed it more in english. I would like to see Robin Hood with Russell Crowe and heard that his accent sounds a bit Dublin, but as my son pointed out, it won't matter as I will see it dubbed in Italian.
Old May 19th 2010, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

I just can't bring myself to go to the cinema anymore because of the dubbing. If I like a film dubbed then I always want to see it again but in original language, so I no longer bother with dubbed. There are a couple of very nice films doing the rounds on Sky at the mo: The Reader and The Doubt. (Not as good as The Hurt Locker though. That was brill!).
Old May 19th 2010, 6:29 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't watched a film in Italian for ages but over the years I have watched some in both languages.

I always noticed the very mild translations of swear words and expressions even though Italians have plenty of their own to choose from.

"Oh cavolo" just does not have the same impact as "Oh &%$k"

I once saw "quick the pigs are coming" (Del Boy) subtitled as "veloce, arrivano i maiali"

and many an Italian asked me what had been said in The Full Monty when "there's nowt as queer as folk" was left completely blank in Italian.

Mind you - to be fair to the Italians, not sure how I would have translated that to fit in with the film but I'd have found something.
Old May 19th 2010, 6:39 am
The Original Red Head!

[QUOTE=K in Modena;8574318]
Lol! I like the modern ones though, but then as a kid, my dad having actually served in WWII, I saw all the war films, didn't like them all, but saw them. Then OH got a place in Sandhurst, which he didn't take, so the obsession continued...

QUOTE]

Hmm well DH was in the Italian army in the past and served in Bosnia and I just don't like thinking about the kind of dangers he was exposed to so am not a fan of war films in general. He got an award for bravery for rescuing someone from a mine field and nearly got court martialed once for refusing (rightly) to obey the orders of a guy fresh out of the Accademia who wanted him to take his men into a disused building, which DH suspected was riddled with mines- and he was right. So perhaps a film about mine fields is just not for me!
Wow - that's understandable. I cried at the start of UP when the cartoon wife obviously has a miscarriage and then can't have any more kids - having had 3 it completely appalled me in a kids film even if it was silent and part of a montage!! TMI!! I still can't watch films that deal with cancer, my mum died from it!! Really miserable reasons I know, but I do know where you are coming from. Sometimes you can identify too strongly with something that is supposed to entertain...
Old May 19th 2010, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=TestaRossa;8575252]
Originally Posted by K in Modena

Wow - that's understandable. I cried at the start of UP when the cartoon wife obviously has a miscarriage and then can't have any more kids - having had 3 it completely appalled me in a kids film even if it was silent and part of a montage!! TMI!! I still can't watch films that deal with cancer, my mum died from it!! Really miserable reasons I know, but I do know where you are coming from. Sometimes you can identify too strongly with something that is supposed to entertain...
I have cried at that part in the kids film UP about 3times now... the exact number of times that I've seen the film. I am extremely soft-hearted and cry at the slightest thing... I don't try and avoid it now, I embrace it as part of me, but quite hard to explain to my kids in the Cinema!! I also cannot listen to those things on the radio just before xmas when you hear the soldiers calling home to their wives and kids in the UK... for some reason I just find it too sad and then I feel great guilt that we are all togther when so many people are not.

Last edited by indiebird; May 19th 2010 at 7:45 am. Reason: my typing is rubbish today
Old May 19th 2010, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=indiebird;8575354]

I have cried at that part in the kids film UP about 3times now... the exact number of times that I've seen the film. I am extremely soft-hearted and cry at the slightest thing... I don't try and avoid it now, I embrace it as part of me, but quite hard to explain to my kids in the Cinema!! I also cannot listen to those things on the radio just before xmas when you hear the soldiers calling home to their wives and kids in the UK... for some reason I just find it too sad and then I feel great guilt that we are all togther when so many people are not.
I've never yet cried at a film but I'm sure it won't be long.. I seem to be getting more and more emotional the older I get! Music tends to move me more and get me choked up for some reason..books too! Dunno why I can't get the tears rolling down my face during films though.. my friends think I'm weird for that. However, you should have seen me at my Westminster abbey exam practice at the tomb of the unknown soldier.. all I wanted to say was 'they wanted to give him a burial fit for a hero' and I couldnt stop blubbing! Blubbed even more when they said i'd fail if that happened on the exam

@Anderson Council et al... I don't have much choice when it comes to watching dubbed films, unfortunately. OH and mates here are all Italian so I have to make do! We have a rule; when we are in Italy, we watch in Italian, in England in English. Still, if I watch a film for the first time dubbed in Italian, its like watching a completely different film if I watch it in the original language, so I get 2 for the price of one, if you want to look at it with a positive spin!
Old May 19th 2010, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

"Music tends to move me... and get me choked up". Please tell me you don't mean Eros!!!
Old May 19th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=ballerina;8575435]
Originally Posted by indiebird

@Anderson Council et al... I don't have much choice when it comes to watching dubbed films, unfortunately. OH and mates here are all Italian so I have to make do! We have a rule; when we are in Italy, we watch in Italian, in England in English. Still, if I watch a film for the first time dubbed in Italian, its like watching a completely different film if I watch it in the original language, so I get 2 for the price of one, if you want to look at it with a positive spin!
Our (my!) rule is- if we're paying for the film, we watch it in English. I won't pay to rent a DVD only to watch it in Italian, because I might as well watch whatever film is on TV that night. We have Italian subtitles for DH of course but unless it's a really gripping film sometimes the poor thing falls asleep from the effort of following them- they can be pretty fast! The rule gets abandoned if the DVD doesn't have Italian subtitles or if I happen to have seen the film before though.
Old May 20th 2010, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Anderson Council
"Music tends to move me... and get me choked up". Please tell me you don't mean Eros!!!
GOD NO!!!!! Italian music tends to make me want to vomit. where is that vomit icon???!
Old May 20th 2010, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ballerina
GOD NO!!!!! Italian music tends to make me want to vomit. where is that vomit icon???!
That's more like it! Hey, has anyone read any good books ABOUT Italy that they recommend? I quite liked The Dark Heart Of Italy by Tobias Jones. Although I think my favourite is Verona by Tim Parks. I didn't like his Italian Neighbours at all, but I think that because Verona is ostensibly about football, and not Italy per se, it seemed to ring far truer in its observations about the country's ways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.