Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Cinema, Music, Literature - your recommendations?

Cinema, Music, Literature - your recommendations?

Old May 13th 2010, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cinema, Music, Literature - your recommendations?

Originally Posted by indiebird

I LOVE the book depository... they are my friends. Free postage! What's not to like??!!
I bet JFK could find something!

I'll get me coat.
Old May 13th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

JFK???
Old May 13th 2010, 3:52 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anderson Council
I bet JFK could find something!

I'll get me coat.
Lol!

Indie - Lee Harvey Oswald supposedly shot JFK from the Texas Book Depository! You never knew that's why the site used that name?!
Old May 13th 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Lol!

Indie - Lee Harvey Oswald supposedly shot JFK from the Texas Book Depository! You never knew that's why the site used that name?!
No!!!!! I thought it was from behind the grassy knoll and it wasn't LHO!!!
Old May 13th 2010, 4:07 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, no, that's the point! "Supposedly" from the Book Depository...Who was on the grassy knoll?!

But if you knew that already, smarty pants, why the ????? :P
Old May 13th 2010, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah, no, that's the point! "Supposedly" from the Book Depository...Who was on the grassy knoll?!

But if you knew that already, smarty pants, why the ????? :P
No I didn't know the bit about the Book Depository... or why the company was called that!
Old May 13th 2010, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Beep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the rough

I must admit I quite like a Lino Banfi film(the older ones),they are silly but make me laugh...but the 'Natale a.....' films are horrendous and Cristian de Sica is so slimy even on the phone ads on tv I can't abide him.I often find in the more 'serious' Italian films that to me, the actors seem to be over acting but I suppose it is just the style.

Music wise I do like Tiziano Ferro because he writes his own stuff and ha sa really nice voice....and also Jovanotti and Zucchero but i can take or leave Vasco Rossi.oh and Antonello Venditti(sp?) is ok too.I like Ligabue but only to look at

Most of my reading is in English...........it's more relaxing.........apart from Tex!!

Last edited by Beep; May 13th 2010 at 4:44 pm.
Old May 13th 2010, 4:45 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by indiebird
No I didn't know the bit about the Book Depository... or why the company was called that!
Wasn't sure, sorry....
Old May 13th 2010, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Beep
I must admit I quite like a Lino Banfi film(the older ones),they are silly but make me laugh...but the 'Natale a.....' films are horrendous and Cristian de Sica is so slimy even on the phone ads on tv I can't abide him.I often find in the more 'serious' Italian films that to me, the actors seem to be over acting but I suppose it is just the style.

Music wise I do like Tiziano Ferro because he writes his own stuff and ha sa really nice voice....and also Jovanotti and Zucchero but i can take or leave Vasco Rossi.oh and Antonello Venditti(sp?) is ok too.I like Ligabue but only to look at

Most of my reading is in English...........it's more relaxing.........apart from Tex!!
I've heard of Tiziano Ferro but not heard him. I'll investigate that one, thanks. I have this theory that while English and American actors try to be as "natural" as possible, Italian actors try to appear as "intense" as possible. There are very few I like. Massimo Troisi, the guy from Il Postino, was an exception though.
Old May 13th 2010, 5:43 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by Anderson Council
I've heard of Tiziano Ferro but not heard him. I'll investigate that one, thanks. I have this theory that while English and American actors try to be as "natural" as possible, Italian actors try to appear as "intense" as possible. There are very few I like. Massimo Troisi, the guy from Il Postino, was an exception though.
In fact I'd say that is the exception! Loved that film! I'd forgotten it...

My son has seen Life is Beautiful and told me it was worth watching. I think he watched it at school as part of his history study.
Old May 13th 2010, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

In fact I'd say that is the exception! Loved that film! I'd forgotten it...

My son has seen Life is Beautiful and told me it was worth watching. I think he watched it at school as part of his history study.
I agree with your son. It's not great and shouldn't have won all those Oscars, but it's worth watching. Although there is something a little yucky about the way he turns the concentration camp into a "joke" (but it's for his kid so it's sort of ok). Troisi was in another film called Le Vie Del Signore Sono Finite which was lovely.
Old May 13th 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough

music: Gino Paoli, Pino Daniele, Lucio Dalla, Mario Biondi (italian but sings in english)

authors: Italo Svevo

actors/films: none. especially no to the "Natale in ....", Banfi, and Beningni.
I've seen all of Troisi's films (had to. part of my initiation ceremony when I first arrived in Italy together with all of Eduardo De Filippo's plays. My OH tried to make me watch "il grande" Toto' but I had to draw the line somewhere)
Old May 13th 2010, 6:40 pm
The Original Red Head!

I tried to watch Toto one day out of fascination...I never got Abbott and Costello or Laurel and Hardy though so this was never going to work!!!

Do the Marx Brothers count??! I love Duck Soup! "Free, free Fredonia!" Sorry...I'll go and put my daughter to bed now....
Old May 14th 2010, 6:27 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

The only Italian CD I ever bought is by the singer/songwriter Rino Gaetano.

A group of friends and I used to go a bar where it was often playing and they all knew the words and would sing and jump around. I liked it so I bought it.
I still like it today and my favourites from the album are Berta Filava, Gianna and Aida.
He died in 1981 in a car crash aged just 30. I suppose you could say he was quite contemporary and wacky for his time.

Don't know much about films but Il Ciclone by Leonardo Pieraccioni was good and not pathetically stupid like films with De Sica and Carlo Verdone.
Old May 14th 2010, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough

Ohhh when I said Lino Bafi, I didn't know he did all those Natale a... films, which I wold never choose to watch!! I like the old bits like the one where he claps his hands and slaps his head when he has a great idea that he has just stolen from the poor schmuck standing next to him

I'd forgotten about Il Postino and Life is Beautiful too! I've not watched Il Postino for a long long time now and I did really like Life is Beautiful, but like I said before, sometimes Roberto Benigni can be a bit too much for me. a bit too hyper. Another Italian film I saw recently was Romanzo Criminale.. don;t remember too much about it but that it was not bad. OH is trying to find Il Capo Dei Capi for me with English subtitles... it is his new mission in life..

Io e Marilyn is another he is trying to get me to watch, anyone seen it? I've made excuses so far - I'm a fan of Marilyn but don't fancy watching an Italian film with a lookalike..

On another note, is anyone else really rather impressed with the Italian voiceovers on English/American films and TV? On The Simpsons (I know, not highbrow lol) the timbre of the voices are equal to the original! and other films, the Italian voices are very similar in timbre to the originals! Very impressive! And why is it so difficult to find DVDs in England with Italian subtitles?? Every other language but!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.