British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Christmas Questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/christmas-questions-567562/)

LivingHere Oct 16th 2008 1:35 am

Christmas Questions

As we have already had a Christmas cake discussion I thought that we should have Christmas thread. I know that it is still a long way off but if I need to arrange transportation then I need to think now.

So, my first question is:

Does anyone know if you can get Christmas Crackers in Italy?

Kenny and Moe Oct 16th 2008 1:48 am

Re: Christmas Questions

There's a shop in Sorrento that does them !!! All year round....

Lorna at Vicenza Oct 16th 2008 2:10 am

never ever ever seen them in any part of my Italy .... North.

But there isn't much catering to any foreigner or anything foreign where I live apart from the odd kebab shop, a paki shop (yes I know it's not terribly pc but it is run by Pakistanis) and a couple of Chinese restuarants.

lindaf Oct 16th 2008 2:30 am

Hi

It's been in the press that one English village has now put up its Christmas decorations & Christmas lights ready for the big day.

Linda

Patty Oct 16th 2008 3:48 am

Same as Lorna - up here in Piemonte have never seen crackers - although all my students love to hear about them and want to know if they can buy them ---------maybe an opportunity here to do a delboy and sell a few hundre d :p

Lorna at Vicenza Oct 16th 2008 3:50 am

with crappy plastic toys in them and a "bomb" strip that doesn't pop or blows up half the school !!

irish girl in italy Oct 16th 2008 6:39 am

No Christmas Crackers here either (RE) in fact if you ever have a dinner party they are a real novelty!!

Haven't ever seen them in any part of ITALY either so all you enterprising folk there's an opening for you.

Lorna at Vicenza Oct 16th 2008 6:48 am

would have to teach and convert the italians though. Must admit that when i did my first xmas here with the in-laws they loved the xmas crackers and even the silly paper hats.

fransarda Oct 16th 2008 6:56 am

We certainly don't get Crackers here in Sardinia and I really baffled the family with my lame descriptions of them. My husband once suggested that I bring some back from the UK - I know RyanAir would have just loved that. I like Christmas here, it's much less commercial, although I do miss hearing Slade in all the shops.

Lorna at Vicenza Oct 16th 2008 7:06 am

Pm me your adress and I'll post you a cd of all the greatest Christmas pub songs ....... and the more oldie worldie ones for a more chill out time !

TestaRossa Oct 16th 2008 7:14 am

Old English Stores here already has crackers in but Halloween is the main pre-occupation at the moment! I know Lorna told someone to order their turkey now - my butcher puts a sign up start of December telling you to order them then. Turkey is easy to get here in all its variations and joints!

There's even a version of mince slices rather than pies in the pastry shops which is really good. They are a cross between a mince slice and a garabaldi biscuit - have you noticed most Italian biscuits and cakes are crispy?!

Lorna at Vicenza Oct 16th 2008 7:19 am

Like I said before ............ I live in a teapot of a village and should think about moving if I ever want to get anything remotely British in my life again without having to hide it in big jumpers of towels in my suitcase !

Maybe I should open my own bloody shop .......... but who would come !

Kenny and Moe Oct 16th 2008 7:15 pm

We used to have a 'Brit Store' where I work, it went down a treat with all the different nationalities but shut down about 18 months ago. People still talk about it now. There is an on-line 'Brit Store' which some now use, buying in bulk amongst lots of them at really reasonable prices, (allegedly - I have never used it). My kids visit Naples regularly and fetch stuff over or they post a box across now and again, luckily it goes nowhere near the Italian Postal System and gets here in a week. Lorna, maybe you have found a niche in the market and should open your own wee shop, with the promise of 'wine whilst browsing':lol: you'll get stacks of shoppers
Regards Kenny

.Ariel. Oct 17th 2008 9:56 pm

I've not seen any crackers here. Be careful when bringing them back not to put them in your hand luggage as they're classed as explosives I think.

Apparently the shops in England have Christmas things in already. So commercial.

I've booked my ticket to go back for Christmas. I always try to book them at the end of summer otherwise prices soar. This time I booked them end of September and they weren't exactly cheap.

Cassius Oct 17th 2008 11:15 pm

We want to spend Christmas in Abruzzi to avoid the vulgarity and commericalisation of the English (secular) version.

Can anyone tell me what Christmas is like in Italy. Do they have Midnight Mass? Edited to add like ours with carols - quite lighthearted affairs? Are the shops closed for days and days (not that I mind but it would be useful to know)? Does it feel more like Christmasses past when it was more about family getting together and celebrating rather than spending money and eating and drinking too much?