British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Changes to Passport Renewal Process for Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/changes-passport-renewal-process-expats-798594/)

Garbatellamike May 30th 2013 2:05 pm

Changes to Passport Renewal Process for Expats

Just saw this and thought some people might be interested in/affected by the changes as it is with effect 3 June:

The British Government is making significant changes to the passport service for British nationals living overseas.

From 3 June 2013, the application process will be centralised and British nationals in Italy and San Marino should submit their passport application to Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK.

This important change follows reviews by the National Audit Office and is designed to achieve economies of scale, greater security and consistency in decision making. All British passports have enhanced sophisticated security features designed to reduce the likelihood of identity theft and passport fraud.

Notes for Editors
•Before 3 June, British nationals living in Italy and San Marino submitted passport applications to a regional processing hub in Paris, France. From 3 June, information on the UK Government website will advise British nationals on the new passport application process.

•All the information required to make an application will be found at www.gov.uk/overseas-passports. Applicants will be required to send their applications to the Passport Customer Service Centre in Durham. There will be no change to processing times.

•Fees charged to British nationals applying overseas are based on the current costs of providing the service. As overseas volumes are much less than UK volumes it is harder to gain efficiencies overseas. That is why the decision to repatriate the issuing of passports to British nationals overseas to the UK has been taken. Once this has been completed Her Majesty’s Passport Office will be seeking to create closer alignment between the two sets of fees.

duffer May 30th 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Changes to Passport Renewal Process for Expats

Thanks.
Although mine expires in June 2014, I think I'll get it renewed in person when I'm in London in August unless of course they reduce the price dramatically for the postal application. Will be keeping an eye on the fees.

37100 May 30th 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks Mike. I decided to bit the bullet this time and do mine through Paris. Sent it off Tuesday.:(

Garbatellamike May 31st 2013 9:17 am

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 10733000)
Thanks Mike. I decided to bit the bullet this time and do mine through Paris. Sent it off Tuesday.:(

You will be OK but they are apparantly closing the Paris office from 3 June and doing it all in the UK.

BritInParis May 31st 2013 10:43 pm

Closing all the Regional Passport Processing Centres worldwide this financial year. The Paris staff will be there until the end of July, but they won't be accepting any new applications received after a short grace period.

MarkRD Jun 3rd 2013 7:46 am

Just as we thought .. it used to be consulates, then Rome embassy, then Paris for all of Europe, now UK central only.

Next step will be 'outsourcing' .. mark my words.
:zzz:

PS ta for the info Mike

37100 Jun 3rd 2013 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 10733973)
You will be OK but they are apparantly closing the Paris office from 3 June and doing it all in the UK.

Not worried, but they could have said something a few days earlier. I was caught once by a price hike because I used Poste Italiane. This time I used TNT. :)

Originally Posted by MarkRD (Post 10738061)
Just as we thought .. it used to be consulates, then Rome embassy, then Paris for all of Europe, now UK central only.

Next step will be 'outsourcing' .. mark my words.
:zzz:

PS ta for the info Mike

Over the years, I've renewed passports outside the UK through Turin, Genova, Milan, Trieste, Rome, and Paris. :D

Garbatellamike Jun 3rd 2013 8:55 am

Originally Posted by 37100 (Post 10738097)
Over the years, I've renewed passports outside the UK through Turin, Genova, Milan, Trieste, Rome, and Paris. :D

and if Mark is right (and i suspect he is) about outsourcing then it will probably be Bombay next time :D

MarkRD Jun 3rd 2013 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 10738140)
and if Mark is right (and i suspect he is) about outsourcing then it will probably be Bombay next time :D

I know for sure that UK visa applications (in Italy) are processed by an 'independent body' or words to that effect, and not forgetting that passport 'helpline' thing which costs about €12 a minute ..

Garbatellamike Jun 3rd 2013 9:14 am

Originally Posted by MarkRD (Post 10738149)
I know for sure that UK visa applications (in Italy) are processed by an 'independent body' or words to that effect, and not forgetting that passport 'helpline' thing which costs about €12 a minute ..

Ah ok that makes sense.

I heard recently that the Visa Section at the Embassy had closed but did not know what the process was or who was providing the service.

MarkRD Jun 3rd 2013 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 10738165)
Ah ok that makes sense.

I heard recently that the Visa Section at the Embassy had closed but did not know what the process was or who was providing the service.

"Worldbridge" https://www.visainfoservices.com/pag...=services_PAGE (say no more..)

jonwel Jun 4th 2013 12:05 pm

A friend who lived in Spain a few years ago told me that South Americans who have Italian passports (a lot of them do, for family/birth reasons) still renew them at the Italian consulate, just as we Brits used to do at our consulate until the 1990s. I can't believe it really cost so much. And with the exorbitant fee they charge (€150 odd) they can't exactly make a loss.
I agree about outsourcing to Bombay. And if you have a problem you'll phone to a call centre where no one knows anything because training costs too much.

Next stop the moon. The Moonites will be even less able to help us...

Garbatellamike Jun 4th 2013 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by jonwel (Post 10740224)
A friend who lived in Spain a few years ago told me that South Americans who have Italian passports (a lot of them do, for family/birth reasons) still renew them at the Italian consulate, just as we Brits used to do at our consulate until the 1990s. I can't believe it really cost so much. And with the exorbitant fee they charge (€150 odd) they can't exactly make a loss.
I agree about outsourcing to Bombay. And if you have a problem you'll phone to a call centre where no one knows anything because training costs too much.

Next stop the moon. The Moonites will be even less able to help us...

:D no the Moonites will be more help than some call centres I have used, the Inland Revenue for starters!

Phorest Feb 12th 2014 12:10 am

HELP!
i need to renew my passport - i cannot find the address where to send my application! Anyone? [i'm in the US if that makes any difference.]

37100 Feb 12th 2014 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Phorest (Post 11125352)
HELP!
i need to renew my passport - i cannot find the address where to send my application! Anyone? [i'm in the US if that makes any difference.]

Passports are now done online. Once you have paid you print of the declaration page and the instructions for what you need to enclose in the envelope and where to send it. In the case of Italy, to Durham.