Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Car insurance clarification

Car insurance clarification

Old Mar 10th 2021, 11:35 am
Just Joined

orsetta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance clarification

Can anyone help please. I currently own an italian car and would like to buy a new car (possibly keeping or scrapping the old one) - as it is the car that is insured can the current 'attestazione dello stato di rischio' be transferred if my current car was scrapped? Or if I had two cars would I then have to start at level CU14 for the newer car. Apologies as I can't get my head around it and there doesn't seem to be options for this when applying for quotations.
Also is there an option here like in the UK where a car can be declared off road (SORN)? Thanks again for any help given. Also I have looked at previous threads on car insurance and managed to save myself a nice sum on the current car last month.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 5:38 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance clarification

Originally Posted by orsetta
Can anyone help please. I currently own an italian car and would like to buy a new car (possibly keeping or scrapping the old one) - as it is the car that is insured can the current 'attestazione dello stato di rischio' be transferred if my current car was scrapped? Or if I had two cars would I then have to start at level CU14 for the newer car. Apologies as I can't get my head around it and there doesn't seem to be options for this when applying for quotations.
Also is there an option here like in the UK where a car can be declared off road (SORN)? Thanks again for any help given. Also I have looked at previous threads on car insurance and managed to save myself a nice sum on the current car last month.
You can transfer your catogory to a new car or to multiple cars. Anyone in your household who buys and insures for the first time can benefit from your category. You can put your category on hold for a max of 5yrs - we inquired about this recently.
You can't SORN a car as in the UK. You have to pay car tax even if it is off road. You can stop paying insurance if you keep it off road, but you will have to get it towed for it's MOT should you decide to use it again.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I would get rid of your old car unless you are very attached to it. As 37100 says they are just a liability if they are off road. The transfer of insurance to the new car will be straight forward with your existing company.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

orsetta is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to both, this has helped a lot.