Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Can my son really be kicked out of Italy?

Can my son really be kicked out of Italy?

Old Oct 9th 2021, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all
Default Can my son really be kicked out of Italy?

Both me and my son have permanent residency in Italy since 2016 as I married an Italian citizen, so more than 5 years ago. My son will turn 18 soon, and a lawyer (a lawyer online I should add..) mentioned to me that my son when 18 will technically lose his rights to remain in Italy once he has finished his course of studies, unless he can prove he has a certain revenue. I should mention that none of us have ever applied for permesso di soggiorno illimitato, and for personal and complicated reasons I prefer not to ask for dual citizenship myself.
I've enquired with the local prefettura whether my son can ask for Italian citizenship (so dual citizenship) but they can't tell me whether (now that the UK is not part of the EU) the 4 year requirement still applies, or it became 10 years as for non EUs.
I'm just thinking what if something happened to my husband, if the above is true it would complicate things massively. The prefettura not knowing this information was a bit laughable to be honest, they advised me to contact the British Embassy for understanding how the EU-UK agreements are on this matter, which I just did through their online form, but maybe someone went through this already and can share their acquired knowledge. Thanks.
Old Oct 9th 2021, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can my son really be kicked out of Italy?

I would doubt it if you can prove your were resident before Brexit, and your son has a carta d'identita (which he should have had since he was 14), then under the Brexit agreement he has permanent residence status - he will need to get the permanente residence card and/or a permesso di soggiorno illimitato. Thats my reading of the law, and I am not a lawyer, but he fulfills the residence requirements as laid down in the WA.
Old Oct 9th 2021, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Yes he has a carta di identità issued in January 2017 by the municipality where we live.
Old Oct 9th 2021, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Does your son want Italian citizenship?
Old Oct 9th 2021, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pugliese
Does your son want Italian citizenship?
Yes. But that doesn't matter as I decide for him No jokes aside he does want dual citizenship, he would like to have the option in the future where to settle, why are you asking?
Old Oct 9th 2021, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

I was reading this page

https://www.inps.it/pages/standard/51985
come ottenere la cittadinanza italiana

and you would be entitled to Italian citizenship (but you don't want it) through marriage and residency but the question is whether this right is passed on to your son ......
Old Oct 9th 2021, 11:17 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
I would doubt it if you can prove your were resident before Brexit, and your son has a carta d'identita (which he should have had since he was 14), then under the Brexit agreement he has permanent residence status - he will need to get the permanente residence card and/or a permesso di soggiorno illimitato. Thats my reading of the law, and I am not a lawyer, but he fulfills the residence requirements as laid down in the WA.
I agree with Modicasa. I doubt that he can be thrown out. Especially if he is your dependent. Get the WA card.