Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Can I fly within europe?

Can I fly within europe?

Old Aug 11th 2022, 7:08 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I fly within europe?

Originally Posted by PSG2014
As the CDS 'proves' my status as an Italian resident, therefore resident in a Schengen country (?)................does that mean (as I understand it does), that I can travel to and from other Schengen countries passport free?
When travelling directly between Schengen states, you won't (normally) go through passport control at either end.

You will, though, need to provide id before boarding if you're flying. A residence document is only any good for id in the country of issue and I wouldn't rely on it even then for this purpose.

But the extra passport validity rules won't apply when using the passport for id in this way for internal Schengen travel, nor for entering Italy as a resident coming from outside of Schengen. In both cases I'd say it is necessary and wise to carry both docments.

Last edited by Red Eric; Aug 11th 2022 at 7:10 am.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 7:38 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PSG2014
Sorry to drag this out........

As the CDS 'proves' my status as an Italian resident, therefore resident in a Schengen country (?)................does that mean (as I understand it does), that I can travel to and from other Schengen countries passport free?

PSG
If you are an EU national, you do not need to show your national ID card or passport when you are travelling from one border-free Schengen EU country to another and we are no longer EU nationals. We might be residents here but we are not citizens.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget at most airports they know where the plane (therefore passengers) are coming from... A bit like an internal flight whereby there is no passport/document check.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 1:41 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Don't forget at most airports they know where the plane (therefore passengers) are coming from... A bit like an internal flight whereby there is no passport/document check.
Precisely.

Under normal circumstances, all passengers coming from within Schengen are intentionally routed to avoid passport control on arrival at airports. Passport control occurs at external borders only.
Old Aug 13th 2022, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
If you are an EU national, you do not need to show your national ID card or passport when you are travelling from one border-free Schengen EU country to another and we are no longer EU nationals. We might be residents here but we are not citizens.
but when flying you (eu nationals) still need to show photo ID when boarding a plane. Maybe not if drivjng across borders..
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

In August I went to the UK on my British Passport and came back to Italy with my carta biometrica and the passport wasn't stamped.
Whilst in the UK, we took the ferry from Dover to Calais and my passport was stamped entering and then exiting France.
I wasn't sure if I should have said that I'm a permanent resident in Italy ...
Anybody know the correct thing to do?
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pugliese
In August I went to the UK on my British Passport and came back to Italy with my carta biometrica and the passport wasn't stamped.
Whilst in the UK, we took the ferry from Dover to Calais and my passport was stamped entering and then exiting France.
I wasn't sure if I should have said that I'm a permanent resident in Italy ...
Anybody know the correct thing to do?
I travel on an Irish passport so don’t have direct experience but I honestly don’t think it matters because your status overrides the entering and exiting stamps.
Old Sep 3rd 2022, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

It's that Pugliese's question is if we "know" what is the correct thing to do, but we're probably all having to respond with what we "think" or "believe"... and also what any random border guard "might" do.

Anyway I think that in Pugliese's case it's not exactly the correct thing, because the passport shouldn't have been stamped, but as in this instance there's both an entrance and exit stamp, it's not going to be a problem.

If there's only an entrance stamp then it's theoretically possible that at some later stage , on leaving the EU months or years later, that a border guard might say that you have overstayed the 90 days that Brits are allowed to.... and then at that point you would then need to prove your legal status to show that the 90 days rule doesn't apply to you. Theoretically that's not a problem. So not worth losing sleep over. Actually having that conversation at a port or airport with all the stress of the situation and the jobsworth attitudes of border staff isn't something I personally look forward to. Especially if it's trying to show Italian documentation to people in other EU countries (where I don't speak the language) because the documents aren't standard throughout Europe.

I'm not sure if there's been any cases of people having problems recently... last year I did read about people not being permitted to leave France until they paid a fine.
​​​​
Old Sep 3rd 2022, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C.2s
Especially if it's trying to show Italian documentation to people in other EU countries (where I don't speak the language) because the documents aren't standard throughout Europe.
​​​​
Resident's cards issued by all EUMS have followed a standard format since 2002.
Old Sep 3rd 2022, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
Resident's cards issued by all EUMS have followed a standard format since 2002.
That's true to some extent. All ID cards are in a standard format. And as part of Article 50 all EUMS agreed to protect the rights of British citizens living in their country. But that's a bit like saying all driving licences are in a standard format. They are, but that doesn't mean the laws that apply to driving or holding a license are the same in each EU state (they are not). And obviously each country was able to implement Art 50 in a way that works in conjunction with their existing laws.

I expect you know that, so apologies for stating the obvious.

Anyway, I'm not sure which country you are in, but we have documents (not ID cards) that prove our Art. 50 status in Italy that I think don't exist in other countries and are written in Italian. And we have ID cards but they say that they are not for use outside of Italy.

I expressed my personal doubts about a potential future problem. It's not difficult to imagine that one arrives on a border somewhere and a border guard has no idea what Article 50 means and they insist all British are now outside the EU and starts processing your passport incorrectly . It's happened to me several times. I'm not saying I am worried about explaining things in Italian to an Italian border guard, but I am less confident about having that conversation on the border of other countries in other languages.

Like I said it's not something I lose sleep over, but it doesn't hurt to think about it a bit in advance.
Old Sep 6th 2022, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Does anyone know if it’s possible to fly domestically with the carta di identità for non-citizens?
Old Sep 6th 2022, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tpw21
Does anyone know if it’s possible to fly domestically with the carta di identità for non-citizens?
According to this you can fly internally with a driving licence. When I have taken internal flights they always wanted a passport.

Last edited by philat98; Sep 6th 2022 at 9:54 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by philat98
According to this you can fly internally with a driving licence. When I have taken internal flights they always wanted a passport.
I’m going to try the ID card next time and see if it works - technically it should be possible as you’re not traveling abroad.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tpw21
I’m going to try the ID card next time and see if it works - technically it should be possible as you’re not traveling abroad.
Tell us how you get on!
Old Sep 8th 2022, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

I've travelled internally before with my carta di identità and had no problems. Never tried the driving license but I've read that it's valid too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.