Wikiposts

buying vehicle

Old Oct 23rd 2015, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying vehicle

Originally Posted by RogerDodger
We are all supposedly afforded the same rights in all the member states ....
Unfortunately although this should be a basic principle of Europe, it doesn't actually play out that way. It's not about if I can do it there I can do it here. It's about having the same rights as other residents of the country where you have chosen to live, as determined by the sovreign law of that country. That is obviously to outlaw discrimination. So, if Italians have to be resident to buy a car, then so does a non Italian. I can assure you an Italian non-resident will not be able to buy the car either until they become resident.

Residents in the UK have to play by UK law, so if the UK law says the DVLC don't need to see proof of residency and a tax code to buy a car, but rather a simple telephone bill to prove your residency then that is that.

Last edited by Donna Noble; Oct 23rd 2015 at 5:47 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

JACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond repute

Rodger - You will find France has the same wealth tax as Italy as does most of the EU countries. Portugal has a retirment visa that is more benifical for expats. I was surprised to find Australia has the tax on worldwide assets as well.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me? First I read
... I want to do things as legally as possible, but I have assets and a private pension in the UK which I don't want the Italian govt skimming a single penny off as I have already been taxed on those.
and then ...
... We intend to make a permanent move you see ...
My reaction is
  1. that if you want to do it legally and you are living here 'permanently' then you will normally be required to pay tax here, and
  2. that is illogical to expect it to be otherwise.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

JACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond reputeJACHA has a reputation beyond repute

Serrano- I agree with you.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JACHA
Rodger - You will find France has the same wealth tax as Italy as does most of the EU countries. Portugal has a retirment visa that is more benifical for expats. I was surprised to find Australia has the tax on worldwide assets as well.
Probably the French are more efficient at collecting tax than the Italians.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 8:34 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donna Noble
Unfortunately although this should be a basic principle of Europe, it doesn't actually play out that way. It's not about if I can do it there I can do it here. It's about having the same rights as other residents of the country where you have chosen to live, as determined by the sovreign law of that country. That is obviously to outlaw discrimination. So, if Italians have to be resident to buy a car, then so does a non Italian. I can assure you an Italian non-resident will not be able to buy the car either until they become resident.

Residents in the UK have to play by UK law, so if the UK law says the DVLC don't need to see proof of residency and a tax code to buy a car, but rather a simple telephone bill to prove your residency then that is that.
As long as an Italian is enrolled in AIRE they are entitled to buy a car in Italy. They will probably have a hard time persuading dealers that they can, but it is the law.

Last edited by 37100; Oct 23rd 2015 at 8:50 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by philat98
Probably the French are more efficient at collecting tax than the Italians.
I'm not sure philat. Our tax office will send your information to the commune and tax authorities in Italy as you have to inform the ATO of your Italian address. So very kind of them don't you think
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 8:53 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clint
This doesn't just apply to foreign nationals. I am an Italian citizen I was officially registered as resident in the UK (AIRE) before I moved back to Italy. When I came back to live here permanently I couldn't buy a 2nd hand car in my name till I got my official residency back here in Italy.

As far as I know the rule applies to 2nd hand car not brand new ones but I could be wrong.

I didn't and I don't know any other person who challenged this rule, too costly and not worth the aggravation.
You should have been allowed to. I'd out the link on to the actual law, but I'm on my phone.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

As Clint alluded to in one of his earlier posts, non residents can legally buy and insure a new car. I've done it. Panda rather than the prancing horse. Pretty straightforward as is the Italian (expensive) insurance. I think it's also possible for non residents to buy a used car from a 'registered dealer' (I don't know what qualifies the dealer to be registered though). Buying from your Italian mate.....Nah.

I think, however, that this is an issue that has generally been taken as gospel on forums (maybe because of some bad experiences ) without any further investigation of the facts.

Last edited by Capo Boi; Oct 23rd 2015 at 11:14 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 8:17 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
As Clint alluded to in one of his earlier posts, non residents can legally buy and insure a new car. I've done it. Panda rather than the prancing horse. Pretty straightforward as is the Italian (expensive) insurance. I think it's also possible for non residents to buy a used car from a 'registered dealer' (I don't know what qualifies the dealer to be registered though). Buying from your Italian mate.....Nah.

I think, however, that this is an issue that has generally been taken as gospel on forums (maybe because of some bad experiences ) without any further investigation of the facts.
CapoBoi, are you saying that as a non-resident foreigner you bought a car without exporting it? Recently, that is because the government has a habit of changing things. If so, can you explain how. It could help others.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a brand new fiat panda from an authorised dealer here in Italy. Approx. 7 years ago. I paid in full by bank transfer all above board including IVA. Documents give my Italian address but state that I live in the UK. I'm not sure of the paperwork involved as the dealer did all this for me. My insurance is with an Italian company and also has my Italian address and states that I live in the UK. I've been stopped maybe a dozen times by the carabiniere over the years where I've had all my documents checked with no problems. Also mot it here every 2 years. I've a holiday home and leave the car locked up in a secure parking area when I'm not there. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but that's just been my experience. I was always led to believe that the restrictions placed on non residents buying second hand cars was due to possible circumvention of IVA rules.

Last edited by Capo Boi; Oct 23rd 2015 at 11:09 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 11:11 pm
Concierge

Thanks Capoboi.� ����
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 11:11 pm
Concierge

Thanks Capoboi.👍
Old Oct 24th 2015, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

In the meantime I've been taking a look at the AIRE issue that 37100 mentioned.

AIRE is basically a role call of all Italian citizens resident abroad. They put their name on the list and they are automatically removed from the residents list of their last "comune di residenza", they are also given a "number" so when they need to renew passports or what have you they give that number as a reference. An address overseas must always be given and if you change address AIRE records must be updated too. It is obligatory. Tax residence also remains in Italy until on the AIRE list. Seems like the Italian government really like to keep tabs on their citizens.

Anyway, it is true that a non resident Italian citizen resident in another EU country can indeed buy a car in Italy. They must give two pieces of information; their AIRE registration number so they can be traced and an Italian address, friend or family, just in case there's a fine, car tax bill reminder or other communication to be sent from "Motorizzazione" (the Italian DVLA).

So, from what CapoBoi says this is basically the equivalent situation for UK citizens not resident in Italy. They can pay for the car including iva (because no exportation of the car is planned), give your address overseas for tracing purposes and an Italian address for fines etc.

Therefore, if the way Capoboi's purchase was done is kosher (and I don't see any reason it wouldn't be, the Carabinieri have even verified that), then non Italian citizens are being treated in the same way as Italian citizens, so there is no discrimination. And nothing is illegal under EU law.

However, once again, the clarity, transparency and availability of this information is a joke.

Last edited by Donna Noble; Oct 24th 2015 at 12:59 am.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 1:04 am
Just Joined

RogerDodger is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting indeed, but does this only apply to new cars and those purchased through dealers second hand, with the dealer sorting out the registration and passagio? I take it that it won't apply to something bought second hand off subito, as I'd be submitting the paperwork myself and it would ask for residency docs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.