Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Buying organic in Vicenza/Padova area

Buying organic in Vicenza/Padova area

Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Loopy12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying organic in Vicenza/Padova area

Where can I buy a good selection of organic fruit and vegetables, and other excessively healthy foodstuffs in the Vicenza/Padova area?

Emisfero in Vicenza has just one tiny bay of organic stuff, and that's the most I've seen anywhere. We do use a small health food shop in Vicenza but even they only have a limited amount and variety.

Anyone know of anywhere better?
We grow some of our own vegetables but no fruit, and do buy off roadside stands sometimes too. We're trying to gradually switch to a 90% raw vegan diet (only with added fish)

Also good quality salmon - again the supermarket stuff was awful - dry and tasteless. Is there a good fishmonger in the area, or, better still, somewhere online I could buy in bulk?

Thanks!

Last edited by Loopy12; Jun 24th 2012 at 9:45 am.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying organic in Vicenza/Padova area

I do not live in your area, but I know of a chain of shops called Natura Si and they have 3 in your area.

http://www.naturasi.eu/nqcontent.cfm...ovincia=Padova

A friend of mine told me yesterday that she found the shop quite good( the one in North Rome), so I'd guess up north they should be even better.

I used to buy mainly organic food while living in the UK, but here the choice is very limited. I always get organic carrots from Carrefour. Two days ago I got an expensive punnet of apricots, but they tasted awful. Thank god our fruit trees are ripening and the veg is doing well in the garden.

I am sure Lorna can give you more advice on local shops.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 1:48 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

NaturaSi is the place to go in Verona too. And the farmer's market. Google, 'mercato km 0' for where you live and one should come up. I know what you mean about salmon. I bake it covered in sliced lemon. I can only suggest asking where one of the local bio-restaurant gets theirs.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Loopy12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks - I shall try there!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never come across organic foodstuff shops in Padova, they could be there but never really looked.

However for fishmongers, have you tried the indoor market underneath the Palazzo della Ragione (centre of Padova)? It's open 6 days a week and has wet fish stalls (also butchers, cheese vendors, fresh pasta shops and bread shops).

Right alongside the Palazzo is Piazza delle Erbe and Piazza dei Frutti - both have large daily outdoor markets, mostly selling fruit and veg.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Hanna_R is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.veganhome.it/negozi/alime...uona-dispensa/
Old Jun 25th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Yup, NaturaSì is the place ... generally a bit dear but there you go.

We do a lot of vegan (OH is completely vegan) so that's where we get a lot of stuff.

Look out for organic fruits & veg as well as 'health foods' or alternative foods in larger supermarkets too. Our Interspar is good for that
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Tom_Essex is an unknown quantity at this point

On the road out towards Rubano, there is a big supermarket called Il Gufo Bio (or maybe Biologico), I presume from the look of it, it's a dirty great big organic style supermarket looks swanky, like a waitrose or something