British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Buying a house in Tuscany, whilst living in Scotland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/buying-house-tuscany-whilst-living-scotland-934223/)

Pagani-Rennox Aug 8th 2020 2:09 pm

Buying a house in Tuscany, whilst living in Scotland

Looking for some advice about buying a property in Tuscany. I am from Glasgow and have a dream of living between Tuscany and Scotland. I’ve been looking in areas like Lucca and Lungiani. Looking for any advice anyone has 😃

Listen Very Carefully Aug 8th 2020 5:22 pm

Re: Buying a house in Tuscany, whilst living in Scotland

Have you researched Barga? This commune has a lot of Scottish links so much so that you can actually get fish and chips there and many of the residents have scottish relatives

scot47 Aug 8th 2020 5:44 pm

Lucca is one place. Also La Spezia. Both provided a large number of migrants from Italy to Scotland n the early decades of the 20th century

Pagani-Rennox Aug 8th 2020 6:18 pm

Thanks for the advice folks, I’ll look at both those areas. Cost is going to be my biggest driving factor. I’m planning a trip over soon 😋. Is it wise to come next month??

ononno Aug 9th 2020 7:24 am

Tuscany seems to be everybody's dream right now. Property prices rising fast. The sooner you visit the better.
Best of luck.
'o nonno

Geordieborn Aug 9th 2020 10:14 am

Last time I looked the prices in northern Tuscany were not too bad. What type of place are you looking for? Countryside, city? Lucca is probably quite expensive compared with lesser known places around there. We’ve only visited Fivizanno with a brief visit to Pisa, but there were many places between these two that looked lovely. Obviously between Scotland and Italy you need easy travel. I would suggest you research places along the train lines or bus routes. We were looking to visit Lucca this year as one of our “must visit sometime” places and it looks quite simple to get to by bus. Not that we are opposed to travel by car or bothered as we’ve done so for many a year, including Pisa. I mention it more to do with any long term situation whereby car hire may become a hassle.

I would think on how you would pay the bills, maintain the place and travel (as mentioned)..

Pagani-Rennox Aug 9th 2020 10:56 am

Hi, yeah property prices in parts of Tuscany seem so reasonable, I had always thought of it as really expensive. Yes I’m chasing a dream but I can see houses being advertised in the Tuscan countryside for £50,000.....which compared to house prices in Scotland is amazing! I’m actually quarter Italian and I’ve never been to Italy yet and I’m 52! I can buy a return flight from Glasgow to Pisa next month for £45 but I’m just not sure how safe it is to travel??

philat98 Aug 9th 2020 11:48 am

Originally Posted by ononno (Post 12894346)
Tuscany seems to be everybody's dream right now. Property prices rising fast. The sooner you visit the better.
Best of luck.
'o nonno

Where have you been ononno?

HADENOUGHPIZZA Aug 10th 2020 7:31 am

My understanding is that unless there is a specific agreement put in place between now and Dec 31 then you will not be able buy property in Italy after 1 Jan 2021 so you wil need to be fairly quick or wait for the agreement to be put in place .

Geordieborn Aug 10th 2020 9:11 am

Why would we be any different from Americans, Canadians or even Russians?

philat98 Aug 10th 2020 10:14 am

For non EU citizens there are a few more obstacles to deal with. American expats seem to go for the Elective Residency Visa and you need to show proof of income. They also have to get a Permesso di Soggiorno every year at the Questura. If you are not able to find a job then you going to have to show quite a high income from pensions or investments.

modicasa Aug 10th 2020 1:36 pm

There will be no obstacle to buying property in Italy after Brexit. The only law that Italy applies is that of reciprocity, so if an Italian can buy inthe UK then a Brit can buy in Italy. You do not have to be a resident to own property or visit.

Pagani-Rennox Aug 11th 2020 10:34 pm

oh ok, there seems to be a range of advice here. My grandfather was Italian, therefore I could apply for Italian citizenship. I wonder if that would help with being able to buy a property?

Geordieborn Aug 11th 2020 10:43 pm

Take what Modi has said, he will know it's his job.... and he is almost always correct....

Pagani-Rennox Aug 11th 2020 11:11 pm

Oh ok thanks Geordieborn and thanks for the correct advice Modi. I feel better now 😊.

HADENOUGHPIZZA Aug 12th 2020 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Geordieborn (Post 12894709)
Why would we be any different from Americans, Canadians or even Russians?

because they already have a reciprocal Agreement in place , I assume that this will be dealt with in the near future .

modicasa Aug 12th 2020 9:49 am

There is a huge difference between buying a property and living in Italy and they are not connected.
The law of reciprocity says that if an Italian can buy a property in the UK then a British national can buy a house in Italy. This will not change after Brexit - half of London is owned by foreigners. The only other problem that could raise its head is how you wish to pay for your house, and it will make a purchase impossible if you decide to move money from a blacklisted country (Panama, Lichtenstein etc). There is no other obstacle to anyone buying a house in Italy from anywhere in the world.
Obviously if you want to live there, become resident, or anything other than using it as a holiday home for up to 90 days in any 180 day period, then the situation will be more complicated after Brexit, but that has no bearing on the physical process of buying property.

Pagani-Rennox Aug 12th 2020 10:05 am

Thankyou so much for this advice Modicasa. This makes things much clearer. Do you work in property?

Geordieborn Aug 12th 2020 2:43 pm

Pag see the links at the bottom of his post, site well worth a look as some great information there...

HADENOUGHPIZZA Aug 13th 2020 9:17 am

The current government advice :https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...uying-property

Accommodation and buying property

Read guidance on how to buy a property in Italy.

You can buy property or land in Italy if you are:
  • an EU citizen
  • a national from outside the EU who is fully resident or has a valid permit of stay in Italy
  • a national from a country that Italy has a reciprocal agreement with and who is resident outside of Italy
We will be seeking a reciprocal agreement to make sure that UK nationals who are not resident in Italy can continue to purchase property in Italy. We will update this guidance as soon as information is available.

Until the specific reciprocal Agreement is in place and the advice on the relevant Italian websites is updated then non EU nationals must be resident to acquire property as of 31 12 2020 . At the moment the UK falls under the EU provison The original post states that the purchaser wishes to buy while living in the UK .

philat98 Aug 13th 2020 9:22 am

What a terrible administrative mess Brexit is making and not much sign of any economic bounce.

HADENOUGHPIZZA Aug 13th 2020 9:40 am

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 12896224)
What a terrible administrative mess Brexit is making and not much sign of any economic bounce.

How very true , the negotiations for the trade Agreement have gone on so long and are so complicated that many businesses will simply not have the time to get ready and are being forced to work on a worst case basis . It's costing EU firms a lot in terme of time and cash right at a moment when they are already pushed dealing with the disruption and economic costs of the virus. In many cases the short answer will be avoid the uk until its clear whats happening which is not good news for the UK in the short term nor in the long term because if an alternative works out well why change ? I have no doubt that in the ensuing chaos the UK will blame the EU .

Geordieborn Aug 13th 2020 9:58 am

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA (Post 12896222)
The current government advice :https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...uying-property

Accommodation and buying property

Read guidance on how to buy a property in Italy.

You can buy property or land in Italy if you are:
  • an EU citizen
  • a national from outside the EU who is fully resident or has a valid permit of stay in Italy
  • a national from a country that Italy has a reciprocal agreement with and who is resident outside of Italy
We will be seeking a reciprocal agreement to make sure that UK nationals who are not resident in Italy can continue to purchase property in Italy. We will update this guidance as soon as information is available.

Until the specific reciprocal Agreement is in place and the advice on the relevant Italian websites is updated then non EU nationals must be resident to acquire property as of 31 12 2020 . At the moment the UK falls under the EU provison The original post states that the purchaser wishes to buy while living in the UK .

Great information Haden... I would think twice if I read it, but in the end we would look at this bit "or has a valid permit of stay in Italy" as a normal requirement . The other bit I spotted was a little before it on Pensions, the other OP on here asking about them should read it as it is very positive....