TO BUY OR RENT?

TO BUY OR RENT?

Old Oct 1st 2018, 3:22 pm
DDP
Just Joined

DDP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TO BUY OR RENT?

Hiya,
i'm wondering if anyone has any experience of renting a house in Italy, as opposed to an apartment? I had been intending to buy when I retire, but am now wondering if it would be more sensible to rent instead? I'm 62 now and don't know when I'd be able to retire, also how long would I be able to manage a house. The problem is, I want a garden! I'm wondering if this is ever an option? As always, I know it depends on right time, right place. I've already come to the conclusion that it might be more sensible not to have a car, given others problems that i've read about changing/renewing driving licences in Italy, so I'd need to be somewhere with good public transport, or within walkind distance of a town/village with all the facilities easily available.
grateful for any tips or suggestions
many thanks
Old Oct 1st 2018, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TO BUY OR RENT?

Any idea what area you are looking at? Certainly renting is a very good idea, but your requirement for a garden does not fit in with transportation without a car. Nor does it seem such a good idea to have a garden if you think you can’t manage a house…? However, renting is a very good idea, but that combined with a garden and public transport will take a little more searching…
Old Oct 4th 2018, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what type of garden. Are you someone who spends hours tending a garden or someone who just wants a pleasant outside space with some shrubs and flowers to sit outside in? Maybe that would be the compromise - having some outside space to sit out in, but to live near somewhere with a lovely park or countryside with views? A small town with transport links might be an idea. If you go onto google maps and zoom in you can see where the train station and station lines are. There will most likely be a bus too. Always check on trenitalia dot com to check if that train line is still running. How about somewhere like Abruzzo, stay near the sea with a small garden, with lovely seaside walks, but also near a train station that will take you into a bigger city or town for bigger items. I know for example Pineto in Abruzzo is lovely - nearly all of it is flat to walk. There is a train station that can take you into bigger towns or into Pescara very quickly. Pineto has a large supermarket (Conad) and lots of lovely smaller shops and restaurants, gelaterias, bars and banks. There are properties with gardens on the edges or just inland a tiny bit (you'd need a bus when you couldn't walk it). All along that coast are various places you could live but not all of them have a supermarket to hand. You've also got the beautiful off-road walking and cycling path that is adjacent to the sea for miles and miles and not only passes through all the towns and villages but takes you through pine woods - always adjacent to the sea. Have a look at this video
Not sure if that video is allowed, so if it doesn't post/gets taken down, then go to you tube and search for Pineto - Un Mare di Natura. Also there is a video on youtube called PINETO benvenuto that shows you more. It will obviously be busy in July and August but its still pleasant and you can still find empty spaces on the beach and quiet places to walk.

Go onto immobiliare.it and search for Abruzzo then select TE (for Teramo - which is the area Pineto is in - also search the other areas too of course) and look up properties. I just did that for you and selected independent houses and came up with this one - it shows on the map its just inland from the town - you could walk or get the bus the small distance to the little town where the train is located (and all the restaurants, banks etc etc). Here is one example: https://www.immobiliare.it/63968878-...-9-Pineto.html though I think there are some shops etc in this area too. Go onto Google Maps and 'walk' around the area shown.

If you use google chrome it asks if you want the site translated automatically for you.

Rent in this area and try it out - its always best to try before you buy. I think when you rent you have to do it for 4 years at a stint and it might be by the sea its hard to do that....im not sure. Always best to go to the area and ask whilst there. Possibly further inland would suit better for long term renting...?

Last edited by MrsTeapot; Oct 4th 2018 at 10:42 am.
Old Oct 6th 2018, 7:12 am
DDP
Just Joined

DDP is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you so much Geordieborn and Mrs Teapot!
I love growing my own vegetables, fruit and flowers, I think I'd go mad if I couldn't do that! I think I would feel trapped in an apartment - I lived in a flat here before I bought my house and couldn't bear it! I was thinking of Le Marche/North Tuscany/Emilia Romagna/Liguria. I was thinking of away from the sea as it would be cheaper and less crowded. I confess I hadn't thought of Abruzzo, but the video looks lovely! But is it very hot in the summer? I know it will be difficult to find a house to rent with a garden, it's just one area I was thinking of that might be easier than buying and then having to sell if I got ill/incapacitated. I'm fit and healthy at the moment but who knows how long that will laslt?! I would prefer to buy but i'm trying to be sensible (it doesn't happen very often!). I love the house you sent details of Mrs Teapot, thank you so much for your trouble! I'm so worried though about what Brexit will bring - I know we just have to wait and see but it is hard when I so totally disagree with the referendum result and the debacle that continues! I have a horrible feeling that it won't be possible to fullfill my dream. As I'm on my own, it's going to be an enormous step to take, but when I visit Italy it feels like coming home!
thank you again for your kindness
xxx
Old Oct 6th 2018, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Ah now that makes more sense and you are absolutely right to think in advance. Abruzzo is next to Le Marche and very much the same in terms of weather, and yes both can be quite hot if you see 40c as hot. But houses here are built to take this into account and allow you to deal with it better. Then again I think you will find most of Italy is within 5c variation from north to south. However it does mean you can grow vegetables easily that taste so good. The house Mrs Teapot linked looks almost ideal and from what you have said would be quite suitable. We know the area well and it is superb and not too expensive. Then again there are many such houses around with what are classed as small gardens here, but large by UK standards. Regards renting, you can rent for just a year, but from what I understand that is mostly for furnished properties, which to be honest may be more suitable for you. MrsT is correct that most rentals in Italy are for 4 year contracts and unfurnished, which here could mean no kitchen units!Enjoy!
Old Oct 6th 2018, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

You can possibly find a garden seperate from your house that can be rented or purchased quite cheaply. In Umbria vegetable gardens are generally owned by over 80's and they are only to pleased to sell them as their relatives are usually not interested. Look for one with a good well that functions in July and August as tap water is expensive.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Rupertbrooke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello. This is my first post so I'm not even sure if this is the place to post? I want to buy a small property in the Chieti region so I can be reasonably near
Pescara, but up in the mountains. Places like Roccaspinalveti etc. I will be exploring the region for a week after 9 December (no option to change the date), with a view to moving to the area next summer and trying it for a few years. I see so many ads which say services to be connected, even for habitable properties. I don't want to renovate, so I am not talking about restoration projects. Is it just the case that some houses have been for sale for ages and the untilities have been turned off in the house (just like the UK). Then maybe you get them re-connected by contacting the various utilities? Also, I wonder if anyone can recommend a car hire firm at Pescara Station (I'll be travelling by train via Milan). Lastly, if you don't mind, I was wondering how to choose an estate agent to show me around. I ony have limited Italian for the moment, but several agents have English speakers.

Thank you for your patience.
Mark
Old Nov 1st 2018, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Mark and welcome. Your choice of region is a great one Not too sure about the exact type of location mind you. Roccaspinalveti is over 700m above sea level, you sure you need to be that high up? I've just had a looks on Rightmove and can see a lot of ver cheap properties there and there will be a reason. I looked quickly at about 10 pictures and would never click into any of them further. I don't know this guy Vignaverde otherthan posts on a local forum, but he covers that area and is English.
Look at something like AutoEurope for hirecar locations, seems Avis and EuropCar have locations near the station. If not the airport nearby has them all.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Geordieborn
I suppose because I was longing for mountains, peace, and fantastic views. I'm not sure simple rolling hills cuts it for me (so many of those anywhere in Italy). Is it snow that concerns you?
I don't think that would worry me too much. The ideal place would be fairly high up, detached, in the country/hamlet, a small piece of land, reasonably habitable (I am a good DIYer), say 3/4 beds, fairly close to a town, not too far from Lake Bomba, a private parking space. Also less than an hour to Pescara Airport and a fair price. I can work down from those aspirations lol. I don't suppose you can answer the utilities point from my post?? And yes I'm a bit starry-eyed......
Old Nov 1st 2018, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have a look at what google maps has for time to get to Pescara for where you are looking Roccaspinalveti, over an hour and a half in good weather! The utils I'm not too sure of, but I would be worried they are NOT there or there could be debt on them. Whatever it will cost to have them re-connected, a lot more if there in no connection, if at all possible. You can't afford to be starry-eyed unless you can afford to lose a lot of money. We have suberb views of the mountains without living in them. IMHO this province (Teramo) is much better all around for views, but it is generally more expensive for houses. Have a look around Sulmona. lovely town with good access to everything, but might be a bit big for you. The lake I can understand as it would be a great addition if the mountain views are good.
Old Nov 4th 2018, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Thank you Geordieborn. I did look at Teramo but as you say it's more expensive. I might have to settle for edge of village/hamlet and sacrifice the garden since the house is more important.
(Certainly no large town as I miss the countryside terribly). I'll probably have a tour of Teramo when I get to Abruzzo as I will have a hire car anyway. I will have a good explore! I will let you
know how I get on. Cheers Mark
Old Nov 6th 2018, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond reputeMrsTeapot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rupertbrooke
Thank you Geordieborn. I did look at Teramo but as you say it's more expensive. I might have to settle for edge of village/hamlet and sacrifice the garden since the house is more important.
(Certainly no large town as I miss the countryside terribly). I'll probably have a tour of Teramo when I get to Abruzzo as I will have a hire car anyway. I will have a good explore! I will let you
know how I get on. Cheers Mark
Good luck - do come back and let us know
Old Nov 8th 2018, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Dear Mrs Teapot
Thank you for your good wishes. Would you (and Geordieborn) mind saying if it were you, would you stay at the coast and go up each day to the mountains for four days to look around Abruzzo, or wouldyou stay in the mountains to avoid travelling backwards and forwards. Looking at maps, it's hard to make out if roads are good enough to justify going up and down. Looking at satellite pictures on Google, the mountains seem to go right to the coast? There are few airbbnb/bb options in the mountains, but presumably more on the coast, although I suppose more expensive?
I will hire a car in Pescara. My sister will be with me and we shall travel from by train from Milan via Bologna.
Thanks so much
Mark
ps What do you think about a brief visit to Bologna en-route?
Old Nov 8th 2018, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Bologna is an interesting place to visit with nice museums and restaurants. There are good rail links to some of Italy's best towns Modena, Ferrara and Ravenna.

Last edited by philat98; Nov 8th 2018 at 12:20 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2018, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

9th December, I would suggest being on the coast as who knows what weather you will have, forecast here on Accuweather does not look too good! But don't worry they very often have it wrong. Biased perhaps, but I would look at somewhere like Pineto, may be a bit small that time of year for some. Heard Vasto is a nice place also, either has good access to Pescara/motor way.