Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Building a house in Puglia

Building a house in Puglia

Old Feb 21st 2022, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

NatVen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Building a house in Puglia

I've trawled the internet, but there is very little useful advice on building in Puglia, Italy. We've been living in Ostuni for about 2 years now and have a piece of land near Carovigno. For the past year we have been trying to find a reliable, trustworthy geometra who can help us with our build. We would like someone who iwon't try and charge us over the odds. We've had some eye watering quotes, incredibly often presented before the plans have even been looked at?? I know it is not cheap to build in Italy, but we would appreciate any recommendations for geometras who work within the Carovigno commune and have a proven track record for helping expats build.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building a house in Puglia

Daft question perhaps, but you know you can build? What does your CDU say? How is the land classed? HOw did you buy it - as agricultural or as a building plot? Alot of the 'estimates' may be to help your application get through.... If you know you can build and what you can build and what you want building then things should be easier. HOwever bear in mind that since last summer building materials have more than doubled in price and you cant find builders for love for money, so maybe plan for 2023/24.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 9:56 am
Just Joined

The land we have is eligible for building; we have done due dilligence as far as this is concerned and know that the commune will grant planning permission for what we want to build. I also know that build materials are scarce and as a result more expensive at the moment. This is not our main focus of concern at present as we deperately need to find a trustworthy, reliable geometra who we can engage to help submit the plans which will probably take about 6 months to get passed.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatVen
The land we have is eligible for building; we have done due dilligence as far as this is concerned and know that the commune will grant planning permission for what we want to build. I also know that build materials are scarce and as a result more expensive at the moment. This is not our main focus of concern at present as we deperately need to find a trustworthy, reliable geometra who we can engage to help submit the plans which will probably take about 6 months to get passed.
Wanted reliable, trustworthy, fast working, low cost, bilingual geometra. No problem then
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Not a helpful response, and probably not necessary. Why put words into my mouth? What does that achieve?
I actually asked for recommendations for a realiable and trustworthy geometra...is that too much to ask?? Just putting feelers out in the hope that someone may be in a position to help.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have had two good responses. That from Modicasa, based on the limited information was basically trying to probe a little more to help you get answers from others. Philat98 is serious banter the likes of which many including me would be thinking i.e. what you are after likely does not exist in Italy. But I'm sure there will be geometra's out there in Puglia who people are happy with. A difficult one I know, but have you asked your neighbours or businesses nearby? Assuming you have a ferramenta (we would have been lost without such) ask there... Hopefully some others here will come up with other ideas/people. A little story of which you can read what you want. Friends of ours used a geometra the person they were buying off recommended. This was 10-15 years ago, they had quite a bit work done and still were not billed for anything over 10 years later. A year or so ago they were billed for quite a large amount for a missing invoice!
Old May 29th 2022, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Joannatulum1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NatVen
I've trawled the internet, but there is very little useful advice on building in Puglia, Italy. We've been living in Ostuni for about 2 years now and have a piece of land near Carovigno. For the past year we have been trying to find a reliable, trustworthy geometra who can help us with our build. We would like someone who iwon't try and charge us over the odds. We've had some eye watering quotes, incredibly often presented before the plans have even been looked at?? I know it is not cheap to build in Italy, but we would appreciate any recommendations for geometras who work within the Carovigno commune and have a proven track record for helping expats build.
Hello I also have just bought a piece of land and tiny house in caravigno and am looking for a architect to put through plans' have u na aged to find any, please would u get in touch it would be great to exchange info. Thankyou' joanna lazzarini
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Natven - Can I ask why you want a geometra and not an architect or an engineer? A geometra will only push paper through, the rest is down to you so who would be dealing with the calcoli, igiene civile, geologo and all the other stuff that the geometra wouldnt touch?
Old Jun 5th 2022, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Johnbologna63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by philat98
Wanted reliable, trustworthy, fast working, low cost, bilingual geometra. No problem then
Was thinking the same