Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Pay as you go low usage SIM card

Pay as you go low usage SIM card

Old Oct 5th 2017, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pay as you go low usage SIM card

Does anyone know a low cost Pay as you go SIM that I can use as a spare phone to keep in the car. I don't plan to use it very much. I had a Wind SIM but then they suddenly started debiting a monthly charge.
Any ideas anyone please?
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay as you go low usage SIM card

Originally Posted by philat98
Does anyone know a low cost Pay as you go SIM that I can use as a spare phone to keep in the car. I don't plan to use it very much. I had a Wind SIM but then they suddenly started debiting a monthly charge.
Any ideas anyone please?
I have a TIM PAYG for similar usage; worth the 10 eurines a month to me.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

We use TIM for the very same. So low a usage we need to take care to use it once or twice a year to make sure the SIM remains active. I'm not aware of any charge made by WIND for PAYG, but there was a premium rate scam going around (still is) whereby people were losing €5 per week. I did think I posted it here to warn people, but may not have, I'll have a look.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Seldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond reputeSeldomseenkid has a reputation beyond repute

I have a wind package on PYG twelve euros a month includes some data usage, free SMS etc. When I am not in the country I don't pay and then start it up by paying when I get back. Works well for me.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Well I could not find any post about the Premium SMS scam going on, so this LINK gives details of the scam which is across all mobile companies. I know a number of people who went weeks/months without knowing they were losing a lot of money. For WIND if you have an on-line login, there is a "Mobile Pay" button that takes you off to another web page where any contract you have been signed up for shows, from there you can stop it. Not too sure why the companies have not simply blanket stopped this scam?
Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Well I could not find any post about the Premium SMS scam going on, so this LINK gives details of the scam which is across all mobile companies. I know a number of people who went weeks/months without knowing they were losing a lot of money. For WIND if you have an on-line login, there is a "Mobile Pay" button that takes you off to another web page where any contract you have been signed up for shows, from there you can stop it. Not too sure why the companies have not simply blanket stopped this scam?
Thanks for that information Geordieborn. I shall try logging on.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think Wind itself had changed the terms of the service. I created an account on the internet as Geordiborn suggested and changed the service to Wind Basic.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ha! Yes, that was another that TIM tried on last year by adding "Prime Go" to my account and charging €0.49 per week. With them I went on their chat service and asked to chat to someone who spoke English, much to my surprise they did so! Short of it is they stopped it, but told me I could not have a refund as they had notifed me by text of the addition! To be honest I thought little of it at the time and could not be bothered to argue with them. However I now think this was an internal scam and something they should have been done for. I did suspect the companies may have been have been involved with the SMS scam, but m not so sure now.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond reputeDonna Noble has a reputation beyond repute

If you're wanting to just keep the phone topped up in the car for emergencies and are looking for a traditional PAYG (meaning literally per call) then TIM do some packages, like 16 cents a minute. Although they are difficult to find because it seems all operators these days are trying to flog their monthly deals. I've got such a deal for my younger son since he only takes his phone out on the odd occasion and the monthly deals weren't worth it for me.

However, I have to say if you live near a COOP then COOPVOCE is a really good deal. And depending on your local store you can use your loyalty card to top it up. I've got a friend who's never actually had to top his phone up, he just uses his bonus points from shopping. This is their latest deal for those changing over to the service:

http://portale.coopvoce.it/web/promo...utti-start_mnp

Only 200 mins talk and messages and 1GB, but it would do for low usage I guess. Costs €5 a month.

Btw, COOPVOCE works on the TIM network.

Last edited by Donna Noble; Oct 9th 2017 at 9:50 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 7:40 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
I have a TIM PAYG for similar usage; worth the 10 eurines a month to me.
Ononno. Wind have an offer for tim clients. 1,000 mins, 15 gb for €5.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Ononno. Wind have an offer for tim clients. 1,000 mins, 15 gb for €5.
Thank you so much for this info.