Reload this Page >

Bring a car from the UK or sell first?

Wikiposts

Bring a car from the UK or sell first?

Old May 28th 2013, 11:43 pm
GC1
Just Joined

GC1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bring a car from the UK or sell first?

Hi all,

New here and will undoubtedly have a few more questions to post here. I've been a lurker for some time in the past and have enjoyed reading many threads - the pet hate one was very funny

On to my question,

Does anyone have any experience with leaving the UK and taking their car with them?
Should I sell or keep it?

Any advice, tips, pointers etc to offer, please do.

thanks
Old May 29th 2013, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bring a car from the UK or sell first?

Originally Posted by GC1
Hi all,

New here and will undoubtedly have a few more questions to post here. I've been a lurker for some time in the past and have enjoyed reading many threads - the pet hate one was very funny

On to my question,

Does anyone have any experience with leaving the UK and taking their car with them?
Should I sell or keep it?

Any advice, tips, pointers etc to offer, please do.

thanks
It all depends how long you are staying here and what kind of car you are talking about.
-if you come for a short time-a year lets say, then keep it.
-if it is a car you do not want to loose value, then sell it in the UK as it will get wrecked here( scratched, bumped, etc).

From personal experience, OH regrets selling his new car 11 years ago before we moved here.
Old May 29th 2013, 12:22 am
GC1
Just Joined

The move would be permanent, we would not have any plans to return to the UK.

The reason I don't want to sell it is because I really like it a lot and it's in really good condition but I know that driving a RHD on the right will become a pain long term. Also I expect it's resale value to be much lower than in the UK.
Selling it would probably be the rational decision.

Thanks
Old May 29th 2013, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in Italy permanently for 9 months I brought my Uk car with me, we live in a very rural area but also have use of an Italian car. I don't find to much of a problem being right hand drive. we need to take the car back each year for mot but this suits as we have family and business interests to deal with in the uk. Cars are a lot more expensive in Italy and you will get less for your money. Looking forward we will most likely sell our car in the uk and go all Italian .
Old May 29th 2013, 2:04 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

GC1,

my take on your question: I didn't bring my 11 year old car but if I had been clairvoyant I would have done so!

I eventually ended up buying a LHD car (bit of an old banger) from a Brit who was repatting. It is now 17 months since I purchased the banger and I have found no issues with driving with the wheel on the wrong side.

I have to confess I have knocked over 1 scooter, which is 2 less than the average in Rome for a year, according to the insurance man! This was not related to the side of the car the wheel is on but more to do with a scooter rider who thought he was Valentino Rossi swerving in and out of the traffic.

But I am glad I have a banger as people tend to park by reversing into your car and then driving forward and hitting the one in front and also I discovered banging their car door against your car is a national sport here.

In summary, if you don't have an emotional attachment to your car then bring it and don't worry about LHD/RHD as it is not an issue.
Old May 29th 2013, 4:10 am
GC1
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses! I think the best option would be to sell it first in the UK to retain as much value as possible for it.

We will have access to a LHD car so that's good, it's not like we'll be carless. The missus' car is still there.

Does anyone know if UK insurance history is transferable? As far as I know it is as Italy is part of the EU. I hope I don't have to start again, especially since I've been driving for 19 years!
Old May 29th 2013, 5:15 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GC1
Thanks for the responses! I think the best option would be to sell it first in the UK to retain as much value as possible for it.

We will have access to a LHD car so that's good, it's not like we'll be carless. The missus' car is still there.

Does anyone know if UK insurance history is transferable? As far as I know it is as Italy is part of the EU. I hope I don't have to start again, especially since I've been driving for 19 years!
You might not be careless, however, everyone around you...........

Over here they insure the car not the driver I don't remember no claims being a factor but I could be forgetting something.
Old May 29th 2013, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GC1

Yes, it is, both OH and I have the insurance history from the UK here, complete with protected no claims bonus.
Old May 29th 2013, 6:07 am
GC1
Just Joined

Haha dont even get me started on careless drivers. I am still in utter amazement at just how shockingly badly they drive, quite unreal especially considering their motor racing/ high end supercar culture.

Indicators are NEVER used unless of course you're illegally parked, then switching on hazards seems to raise you above all laws! Constant Lane changing, driving with the painted line directly in the centre of the car for as long as you see fit. Tail gating on the motorways like they do is insane! Blind spot checking is also non existent, actually looking at all seems to be over rated too

Just last week we very nearly T boned an old woman on a bicycle who just flew through a 4 way stop street, then shouted at us! I don't know much Italian yet but I do know a few colourful words and she got a sample

Just had a word with the missus, her car is ensured for anyone which means I'm covered to drive it too
Old May 29th 2013, 6:37 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

GC1, I would suggest you do some research before making any decisions

I am in Spain but the rules are exceedingly similar.
I have a car that cost me £8k five years ago, when it was 4 years old.
I like it, its a 2.1l large body, its a luxury drive, not too economical but WTH the thing is its not a very common car out here and I LIKE IT

I cost me just under €2k to get it fully matriculated with brand new lights which were €850+, and a full inspection and service. It was the €650 import tax that hurt the most.
But the same cars, when advertised - which isn't often even in the LHD version - is currently €6k +.

I am going to keep it, run it into the ground - that should take a while as its now 9 years old and only has just under 60k on the clock, which includes the 1500miles to get it here to Southern Spain. But it is a head turner out here (in a country where they look twice at Seat's), I like driving it and I LIKE IT.

As I say, think about it, driving on the wrong side is really no hassle once you get used to it and here the road tax is €68 a year.
and it actually puts the policia off from pulling me - they know there will be language problems.

rgds
Old May 29th 2013, 6:52 am
GC1
Just Joined

Domino, thanks for that info. I have some time to make a decision and do the research.
In all honesty I think the best and least complicated approach would be to sell it in the UK. I know I'll miss it but that's just one of those things. As mentioned, we do have access to cars to its not detrimental. Also, while not being employed initially, driving a 3 litre straight 6 German car isn't going to be cheap!

Just out of interest, Is the matriculation cost the same for all cars and the import tax the same for all cars?
Old May 29th 2013, 9:12 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikethomo
I have been in Italy permanently for 9 months I brought my Uk car with me, we live in a very rural area but also have use of an Italian car. I don't find to much of a problem being right hand drive. we need to take the car back each year for mot but this suits as we have family and business interests to deal with in the uk. Cars are a lot more expensive in Italy and you will get less for your money. Looking forward we will most likely sell our car in the uk and go all Italian .

Agree with all of this

Driven left and right, really does not make any odds
2nd hand cars here cost a lot of mulla

Fun drive too (Well I enjoy it)
Old May 29th 2013, 9:18 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GC1
Domino, thanks for that info. I have some time to make a decision and do the research.
In all honesty I think the best and least complicated approach would be to sell it in the UK. I know I'll miss it but that's just one of those things. As mentioned, we do have access to cars to its not detrimental. Also, while not being employed initially, driving a 3 litre straight 6 German car isn't going to be cheap!

Just out of interest, Is the matriculation cost the same for all cars and the import tax the same for all cars?
From what I can see the matriculation charges are the same - subject to any additional items that require changing. (all sorts of forums - not just BE - will say that it isn't necessary if you can just "flatten" the beams, but in Spain they insist on the uplift being correct on safety grounds.) They rejected the BH's car on the grounds that it didnt have the correct speed rated tyres as per the OEM original specn - something the UK doesn't worry about)

Import duty is however different. It is based on the engine and its CO2 rating. Which for mine was more than double the BH's.
But I learnt you have to watch what they do on that. When they were entering the car details they put in the OEM name and then assumed that LTD after it indicated it was a diesel car instead of a petrol. OK the CO2 charge would have been much less, but the docs would then have been invalid and the car illegal on the road.

But this is your personal choice as it was ours to bring over 2 cars that we wouldn't have got much for when they are both low milers and have many years left. Second hand cars are high value out here, at prices that would have UK dealers rubbing their hands with glee!!