Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Brand new WA attestazione from your comune.

Brand new WA attestazione from your comune.

Old Nov 20th 2020, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brand new WA attestazione from your comune.

Originally Posted by C.2s
... BUT this is thread about British citizens who are currently resident in Italy and what the WA attestation means (because the WA letter is only relevant to that group of people). And therefore presupposes that there is a deal. And specifically the point was made about "travel" - not work or tax or changing residency. And the suggestion that we will need to carry the WA letter with us.

What will really change in that respect? The reality is that once you enter the EU has no system for checking where you are. It only checks when you enter and when you leave the EU zone. So if I drove out of Italy on January 1st and was stopped by the police in say, Poland, on the 7th June, how could they establish how long I had been in Poland (or outside Italy)? I would have my passport and EU issued ID card, so how much use would it be to show the Polish police my WA letter? ....
And this part neatly summarises my confusion here. The question I would put is this - what use in practice is this WA 'certificate'?

I agree that it appears to do no harm to get one. But on the other hand we're talking about spending €64 for a couple to get it - not a lot, I agree, but for what???
Old Nov 20th 2020, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Th e important thing to remember is that when you enter schengen area that is when your passport will be stamped unless you show your attestazione/card to say that you have permission to reside in a schengen country Once inside schengen legally you can still travel within it but the length of stay in a country other than your country of residence is limited to 90 days
For those who missed it here is the link again It is unlikely that any trade deal will affect these rules

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info...nal_public.pdf

Old Nov 20th 2020, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Serrano
If you do not have it then you will not have permission to stay Brits are now treated in the same way as Americans Japanese ie non EU residents If you leave schengen on holiday and then return without a WA docu;ment your passport is stamped and you only have 90 days before you have to leave so yes it is a very important document and you need to get it-it could affect all aspects of your life in Italy
Old Nov 20th 2020, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Serrano
If you do not have it then you will not have permission to stay Brits are now treated in the same way as Americans Japanese ie non EU residents If you leave schengen on holiday and then return without a WA docu;ment your passport is stamped and you only have 90 days before you have to leave so yes it is a ..y
Are you sure?
If you have the right, via the WA, to stay in a country within the Schengen zone you don't have to leave the zone after 90 day because your passport has been stamped, or am I missing something?
Carrying Attestation with passport seems superfluous if you have 90 days travel/stay in the Schengen area anyway.

Old Nov 20th 2020, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serrano
And this part neatly summarises my confusion here. The question I would put is this - what use in practice is this WA 'certificate'?

I agree that it appears to do no harm to get one. But on the other hand we're talking about spending €64 for a couple to get it - not a lot, I agree, but for what???
The list of names might be sent to the revenue just to make sure they are all paying taxes.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

But if you do not have your WA paperwork then your passport is stamped on entrance and exit and if it is worked out that you have been in the country for more than 90 days at a stretch you may be fined and refused entry Quite what the problem is with carrying an extra piece of paper is beyond me especially if it makes life easier for you

But if you have the paperwork and do not produce it the document in the link attached to my previous post states quite clearly that you will be treated as though you do not have the WA paperwork This just causes YOU unecessary hassle and why people seem willing to put their heads above the parapet for a bit of paper is beyond me
This may help to explain it better than I can
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...r-december-31/

and this is the system that the EU is setting up to track people entering its borders
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

Last edited by Listen Very Carefully; Nov 20th 2020 at 1:30 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Of course as far as I know and just to be different the UK allows visitors the right to stay in the countries for 6 months at a time, not 90 days
Old Nov 20th 2020, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

replying to Serrano's question 'for what? '...I would say get it (as I have already done) in case at some future point you need to show it to the Italian authorities. Yes it seems a bit pointless now (given the fact that italy requires everyone to register residency and has done for many years and is in no way connected to brexit so the authorities already have the information etc etc)... but we're well used to having lots of apparently unnecessary duplicate documents as part of living in italy!

But as for travel... I read the two links that Listen Very Carefully gave above and as far as I can see they say nothing about the withdrawal agreement attestazione specifically (they don't mention it )
Old Dec 15th 2020, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

lilibet will become famous soon enoughlilibet will become famous soon enough

Hi All,
I too am unsure if I need this new attestazione I am British but also have Italian citizenship - the local comune has said it is not necessary. There is a lot of conflicting info both Italian and English around.
Many thanks.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilibet
Hi All,
I too am unsure if I need this new attestazione I am British but also have Italian citizenship - the local comune has said it is not necessary. There is a lot of conflicting info both Italian and English around.
Many thanks.
Why do you think you might need it? The withdrawl agreement has nothing to do with an Italian citizen living in Italy.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

I have dual citizenship - I am also British which means I too could be affected by Brexit - Someone mentioned it could affect pensions if you have any from the UK amongst other things, in another post it spoke of retaining the same rights you have now in Italy after the 31.12.2020. It is a shambles which ever way you look at it.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is a shambles which ever way you look at it.
I agree with you there! I cannot see them blocking pensions payments because you dont have that WA certificate.
Old Dec 15th 2020, 9:01 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I have dual citizenship - I am also British which means I too could be affected by Brexit - Someone mentioned it could affect pensions if you have any from the UK amongst other things, in another post it spoke of retaining the same rights you have now in Italy after the 31.12.2020. It is a shambles which ever way you look at it.
You cannot get a W.A. if you are also an Italian national, but on the UKgov site somewhere, the advice is to keep and/or get proof of residency in the EU before 31/12. I suggest getting a residency cert which is now available multilingual.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
You cannot get a W.A. if you are also an Italian national, but on the UKgov site somewhere, the advice is to keep and/or get proof of residency in the EU before 31/12..
Where is this stated? I cannot see it on Jill Morris's facebook pages or on UK Gov Italy.
This document mentions dual nationals. Nothing about residents certificates.
https://www.britishineurope.org/page...ory-guides#GN2

Last edited by philat98; Dec 16th 2020 at 4:48 am.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

many thanks for the information - I will make sure I have the residency certificate.
regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.