British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Biella (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/biella-939710/)

scrubbedexpat086 Jul 25th 2021 11:15 am

Biella

Good afternoon All, I was given the okay to post what I wrote in the introduction section here, so...

I've just joined this site. I may have come to the party a little late but I'm here now. I should really have joined six years ago when I first bought this place, but never mind. I'm a Londoner, born and bred, half Italian. Bought an apartment here in Biella province in 2015. Since covid especially I have been spending more and more time in Italy. 2015-2018 I came very infrequently, in 2019 I came a lot more than usual and then in 2020 last year I ended up spending almost four months here. I am currently here (end of July 2021) for the first time this year and have been here a month, plan to stay at least another month, maybe more. Technically home is still London but I am hoping that will change very soon, I certainly regard Italy as home even if I may only be here a third of the year. I anticipate very soon spending most of my time in Italy and changing residency status. My family is from Vicenza, so I go there often as well, but Biella region is home.

I'd love to find other Brits and English speakers in the area. It's certainly true that not many people speak English around these parts, which is fine as I can get by in Italian, but I haven't really made many friends in all these years. I'm a big eater, and walker. So if you like pizza and especially if you like trekking up hills and being surrounded by only nature, then get in touch. I could do with a walking buddy. I'll leave things there for now as I don't want to be too garrulous and I have no idea what to expect from this site.

If you're local, do drop me a message. Or even if you're not and want to say hi :-)

Kay

dreamo Jul 26th 2021 7:24 am

Re: Biella

Originally Posted by curunir (Post 13033176)
Good afternoon All, I was given the okay to post what I wrote in the introduction section here, so...

I've just joined this site. I may have come to the party a little late but I'm here now. I should really have joined six years ago when I first bought this place, but never mind. I'm a Londoner, born and bred, half Italian. Bought an apartment here in Biella province in 2015. Since covid especially I have been spending more and more time in Italy. 2015-2018 I came very infrequently, in 2019 I came a lot more than usual and then in 2020 last year I ended up spending almost four months here. I am currently here (end of July 2021) for the first time this year and have been here a month, plan to stay at least another month, maybe more. Technically home is still London but I am hoping that will change very soon, I certainly regard Italy as home even if I may only be here a third of the year. I anticipate very soon spending most of my time in Italy and changing residency status. My family is from Vicenza, so I go there often as well, but Biella region is home.

I'd love to find other Brits and English speakers in the area. It's certainly true that not many people speak English around these parts, which is fine as I can get by in Italian, but I haven't really made many friends in all these years. I'm a big eater, and walker. So if you like pizza and especially if you like trekking up hills and being surrounded by only nature, then get in touch. I could do with a walking buddy. I'll leave things there for now as I don't want to be too garrulous and I have no idea what to expect from this site.

If you're local, do drop me a message. Or even if you're not and want to say hi :-)

Kay

Hi Kay, welcome. Currently we are a bit of a trek from you but eating and trekking are hard to beat. We are english speaking and now wish to find a new home somewhere in beautiful Italy but closer to expats / english speaking community. So, who knows, we may end up close. If anybody can recommend areas with expats we would be very grateful. Ideally close to or in the mountains and close to a nice lively town.

scrubbedexpat086 Jul 26th 2021 4:40 pm

Well I can certainly advise you not to come to Biella region if you seek a big English speaking community and liveliness haha. That's why I signed up here the other day, to see if I could find anyone from back home around these parts. I live somewhere very small with a population of only 3k. Biella itself is about 44k I think, so not a big town but big enough. It's certainly cute and I like it, and there are many nice towns and villages, but I wouldn't describe any as lively, not even Biella. Milan and Turin are close enough and they are certainly big lively cities, but I don't go there too often. I'm a London guy so I'm here for the opposite experience, I just want peace and tranquility and good walking. Mountains and hills are certainly not lacking in this areas, my place has one bang on front of my living room.

Sophia T Aug 1st 2021 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by curunir (Post 13033176)

Kay

Dear Kay

I am considering moving to Biella and was really happy to see your message, because I hope to meet some fellow anglophones to befriends. I don't yet speak much Italian and Biella seems not to be a very international place. I too enjoy walking and eating, and chatting and getting to know people.

So i f I do come to Biella, I would really like to meet you!

I worked in Switzerland for 25 years and am now early retired and looking for new life and new friends.

best regards

Sophia

Sophia T Aug 2nd 2021 8:50 am

Dear Kay

How can we get in touch? Does this forum have a chat function? I added my name and cell to my post but it got deleted out by the admin for safety reasons.

cheers

Sophia

christmasoompa Aug 2nd 2021 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Sophia T (Post 13036072)
Dear Kay

How can we get in touch? Does this forum have a chat function? I added my name and cell to my post but it got deleted out by the admin for safety reasons.

cheers

Sophia

Yep, it did I'm afraid - it'll just get picked up by every spambot and weirdo out there, BE is a public forum!

Here's info on the PM system, from the FAQ tab at the top of the page. https://britishexpats.com/forum/faq...._vb_pm_explain

HTH.

Sophia T Aug 2nd 2021 9:11 am

Originally Posted by curunir (Post 13033662)
Well I can certainly advise you not to come to Biella region if you seek a big English speaking community and liveliness haha. That's why I signed up here the other day, to see if I could find anyone from back home around these parts. I live somewhere very small with a population of only 3k. Biella itself is about 44k I think, so not a big town but big enough. It's certainly cute and I like it, and there are many nice towns and villages, but I wouldn't describe any as lively, not even Biella. Milan and Turin are close enough and they are certainly big lively cities, but I don't go there too often. I'm a London guy so I'm here for the opposite experience, I just want peace and tranquility and good walking. Mountains and hills are certainly not lacking in this areas, my place has one bang on front of my living room.

Hi are you happy with your choice to live where you do? Besides walking and skiing is there anything else to do? I like to socialize and dance, do yoga and swim, ride horses too though it's been awhile. I love animals and nature in general.
If I move there, maybe we could go for a walk sometime? My boyfriend is still working fulltime and I am very early retired with too much time on my hands. I'll use some of that time to learn Italian, but also long for conversations in my own language.

best regards

Sophia

Sophia T Aug 2nd 2021 10:01 am

thank you !

Solarcower Aug 2nd 2021 3:44 pm

Hi there,
I'm not in Biella, but I am in Vicenza so if you're over than way and fancy a chat, let me know.

scrubbedexpat086 Aug 2nd 2021 5:06 pm

Thanks for all your messages guys, good to hear from you.

Solarcower: I'll be coming to Vicenza roughly a month from now. I will only be staying three or four days, but I do come every year as my family is there.

Sophia: I'll drop a response to your PM.

scrubbedexpat086 Aug 2nd 2021 5:12 pm

I replied to your private message, Sophia. It doesn't seem to appear in the thread though, so if you didn't get it, let me know.

santaj22 Mar 5th 2022 6:00 pm

Re: moved recently from Biella from the US

Hello.
My name is Daniel. After 30 years in the US I recently moved to Biella. I was wondering if there is an English speaking group in Biella or nearby cities.
I would love to meet people here in Biella !
Keep in touch !
Best,
Daniel

Tartelette Aug 24th 2022 1:25 pm

Hey :)
I was wondering if anyone is still living in Biella… I just moved here last week and would love to meet some fellow English speakers.
Take care

Giangi Aug 27th 2022 1:26 pm

Re: moved recently from Biella from the US

Originally Posted by santaj22 (Post 13099292)
Hello.
My name is Daniel. After 30 years in the US I recently moved to Biella. I was wondering if there is an English speaking group in Biella or nearby cities.
I would love to meet people here in Biella !
Keep in touch !
Best,
Daniel

Hi Dan...just to inform you, Hi...in case you are still nearby, LICEO LINGUISTICO DEL COSSATESE E DELLA VALLE STRONA, requires 10 hrs curricular Native English, BB02. Could you be interested? No one is in GPS even in VICINIORI and they will choose probably from MAD, present on their website. Have a nice day..
BB02 Conversation in English Langua, by STATE SCHOOL
Docs needed: Hi School Graduation in English speaking country

Giangi Aug 27th 2022 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by scrubbedexpat086 (Post 13033662)

Hi...in case you are still nearby, LICEO LINGUISTICO DEL COSSATESE E DELLA VALLE STRONA, requires 10 hrs curricular Native English, BB02. Could you be interested? No one is in GPS even in VICINIORI and they will choose probably from MAD, present on their website. Have a nice day.. if you are interested, BB02 in Conversation in English language in State Schools