Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Best cheap online furniture stores and shops

Best cheap online furniture stores and shops

Old May 27th 2020, 8:50 am
Just Joined

PastaPasta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best cheap online furniture stores and shops

Hi there, any experience in 2nd hand used furniture shops in Parma Region like we have in U.K or inexpensive online stores. Not Ikea. And how do find furniture deliveries. Is Ebay a big presence in Italy for used furniture? Thanks so much
Old May 27th 2020, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best cheap online furniture stores and shops

Hi,

I'm going to generalise a bit and not specifically talk about Parma (because I don't know that area), but this is a bit like your question about finding painters and decorators in the other thread you started. On the whole Italy doesn't use the internet in the same way as the UK. I guess it's partly due to the infrastructure (speed of internet connection and set up for delivery), but I think it's also due to the fact that Italians still really like developing personal relationships with people as part of the buying/selling process. They want to play a sort of game of getting to know a person in the shop because they're seen as the expert, and then this shopkeeper will suddenly find some product that's "special" - in the sense that it is hidden, not generally available, or even better has some discount on the price! Hence you'll experience people telling you they have just what you want, the thing that is perfect for you - even though you haven't told them anything about what you want! And then this knowledge/connection with the seller is something you spread to your friends, etc. So, the way we use the internet in the UK is foreign (obviously) to a lot of Italians. Yes, the younger ones are becoming more internet savvy, but often even when you do find a website that offers it products or services you're still expected to contact them - you can't just order stuff in the way we have become accustomed to. Now, obviously there is an argument that this sort of 'old-fashioned' contact with human beings is better, and a spin off is that there are still lots and lots of smaller shops of the sort that have disappeared in the UK. For example, there are less DIY megastores, but lots more ironmongers. So, do have a look for things online, but be prepared to be frustrated and ready to adapt to having to find things in other ways.

In the UK a lot of the used/2nd hand furniture stores are run by charities - but you won't find them here. They just don't exist. What you will find is 'mercatino dell'usato' - they stock everything, including whole kitchens (google images will give you an idea) - they are like sort of massive, rambling junk shops or flea markets. Normally people take their stuff there and the shops sells it on their behalf and takes a cut. It's a good way to find anything you need, and you can normally arrange delivery - personally I'd be wary of buying anything that needs a warranty (electrical stuff etc) - but it's fun t have a look around and you come away with all sorts of crap that you didn't intend buying...so a bit like Ikea really :-)

Old May 27th 2020, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look on facebook for vendo/compro Parma or such like - there'll be local groups and people will want to sell stuff second hand but at new prices. Otherwise try subito.it

Old May 27th 2020, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks Modicasa,

Will check it all out.
Old May 27th 2020, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the input. I thought I was doing something wrong, but from your post it all adds up! I guess Italy is still in the past and relies heavily on physical contact,meet and great. Very nice indeed, but I just want to order online and get stuff delivered.
Old May 27th 2020, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a while since we used such, but beds and tables Mondo here are okay. Watch delivery charge as last we used them it was 10% no matter what or how much you bought. You can however buy online and pick up at their depot which was pretty straightforward for us. But we did also have deliveries for bigger furniture. We also used a local removal guy to pick up from the depot for us at a charge. None of this was of course Parma....
Old May 28th 2020, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there are several secondhand furniture shops in Parma , the most used is Mercatopoli and they have a shop online : shop.mercatopoli.it . There are also other smaller outlets but I dont think they are online. In many cases people will donate old furniture to charity . Parma does also have a range of furniture shops , including Ikea . Please be aware that the delivery charges might be higher than in the uk and in some cases are only to the building entrance and not up to the floor where you are living .