Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Bee Eater birds

Bee Eater birds

Old Aug 26th 2018, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bee Eater birds

I just posted on our local forum asking if others had seen or heard these lovely birds and wondered how far spread they are? We have also seen them many years ago in Tuscany and I know they have been spotted and even nested in the south of the UK. We nearly always hear them long before we spot them. The other day we were privileged to see around 15 or more of these birds within 1-2 meters above us. They were stalling mid-air and one did so on the rise and back-flipped to catch something (wasp or hornet I guess). They always seem to be about this time of year and judging by the varied colour, size and activity there is a mixture of young and parent birds. If you listen to them on
(audio & picture only - NO video) with the volume down a bit it’s an unmistakeable call to pick up for real. The picture with those wonderful colours does not really do it justice when you see them moving and the light is catching them.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bee Eater birds

I found a fully grown chick on the road about two weeks ago that had been hit by a car outside Terni. That is the first one I have sen in Italy.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 10:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty in the south of Spain.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There are plenty in the south of Spain.
There would be in Italy except the local hunters are out with their nets here. Our neighbour keeps two pigeons wired to posts so that he can catch his dinner.