Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The BBC channels have gone.....

The BBC channels have gone.....

Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all
Default Re: The BBC channels have gone.....

Originally Posted by Patty
told me that she took off all the HD channels and put the normal ones back and has absolutely no problem now.
Hi, I don't understand this step, what does it mean she changed digibox with a non HD one? Are high definition channels even harder to pick up? I never had an HD box but if I upgrade my dish I`ll probably take the opportunity to get an HD box as well that's why I'm asking
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ameliapond
Hi, I don't understand this step, what does it mean she changed digibox with a non HD one? Are high definition channels even harder to pick up? I never had an HD box but if I upgrade my dish I`ll probably take the opportunity to get an HD box as well that's why I'm asking
Sorry ameliapond - but I am probably the thickest person on the planet when it comes to all things technical. (my kids can confirm it) So I will ask her next time I see her during the week. She just said to me that she had resolved the problem by taking all her BBC channels off HD and so I assumed she meant on the list of channel choices and she simply changed them round. But I am most probably wrong I know she got a new TV with an integrated something or other - but I'll have to ask her. She also had the ariel man put her dish on the roof whereas mine is on my veranda. I'm thinking about buying a bigger one and putting it on the roof too.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

An integrated telly whatever that is, sounds like she's got cash to splash your boss tell her that!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Its official - all the others channels have now gone too. The only channels I have are Skynews, The Horror Channel and True movies ! Think I'll start packing my case instead of going to work
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute

yes we have now lost all itv channels. s it raining here going to try sort out my large dish we brought over a few years ago, I hope I can find all the bits as it has been in the shed for a while.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:26 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikethomo
yes we have now lost all itv channels. s it raining here going to try sort out my large dish we brought over a few years ago, I hope I can find all the bits as it has been in the shed for a while.
good luck mike - let us know how you get on!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:15 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I have all BBC and ITV SD channels back and very watchable. HD channels all breaking up and completely unwatchable except for C5 HD. C4 SD and HD pixelating slightly but very watchable.

Will check again this evening.

Not sure how long this lasts. It is quite normal for some fine tuning and testing to take place after the switchover so fingers crossed that they fine tune it even a bit more until I have the HD channels back!!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
I have all BBC and ITV SD channels back and very watchable. HD channels all breaking up and completely unwatchable except for C5 HD. C4 SD and HD pixelating slightly but very watchable.

Will check again this evening.

Not sure how long this lasts. It is quite normal for some fine tuning and testing to take place after the switchover so fingers crossed that they fine tune it even a bit more until I have the HD channels back!!
So they have all come back on without you doing anything ? I am just in the process of assembling a 2.4m dish I brought here a few years ago so hopefully we may be in luck with this if you are still on a 1.2 x 1.3 dish.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Nothing has come back, pls post reports in the evening, I've just read a report of a guy getting it on a 60cm and it clearly means reports in the morning/early afternoon are useless.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:15 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from praying I did **** all else.

Now, since the switchover, we have had constant rain which could have been a factor (we lose all the BBC/ITV channels in heavy rain) and the only days/time it wasn't raining in Vicenza, I was away and could not have checked. When I checked this lunchtime, it wasn't raining.

So I will check again this evening and report back.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

jimrussell is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been using a VPN to access iPlayer. Now if your VPN allows you to use the protocol L2TP (not PPTP which most proxy services provide which only allows you to see already broadcast programmes) you can actually watch BBC channels in real time on you PC and project them onto a TV with an HDMI cable. As I live most of the year far away from an BBC or Sky satellite signal this is very useful.

I also have a Humix freesat set top box which of course has lost all the BBC channels. However this Humix box has access to iPlayer if it is linked to the internet. Of course if you link the box to your internet (wireless) router it will not work as you are not in the UK. But if you could set up a separate router between the Humix set top box and the router given by your ISP (e.g. Orange, Numericable etc) and this intermediate router is set up to go and access your VPN then you could automatically get iPlayer on your TV. I am told this is possible by several people but have not been as yet able to figure it out. Is anyone reading this thread knowledgable on this and if so can they give more info? If one can crack this then there are loads of rather neat things one can do.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:32 pm
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by jimrussell
I have been using a VPN to access iPlayer. Now if your VPN allows you to use the protocol L2TP (not PPTP which most proxy services provide which only allows you to see already broadcast programmes) you can actually watch BBC channels in real time on you PC and project them onto a TV with an HDMI cable. As I live most of the year far away from an BBC or Sky satellite signal this is very useful.

I also have a Humix freesat set top box which of course has lost all the BBC channels. However this Humix box has access to iPlayer if it is linked to the internet. Of course if you link the box to your internet (wireless) router it will not work as you are not in the UK. But if you could set up a separate router between the Humix set top box and the router given by your ISP (e.g. Orange, Numericable etc) and this intermediate router is set up to go and access your VPN then you could automatically get iPlayer on your TV. I am told this is possible by several people but have not been as yet able to figure it out. Is anyone reading this thread knowledgable on this and if so can they give more info? If one can crack this then there are loads of rather neat things one can do.
Hello Jim,

You may be able to hook up your Humix to your existing router and setup your VPN on that without the need to buy a second router. There is free software (firmware to be precise) which can be installed on the router, allowing you to enter your VPN details.

www.dd-wrt.com - I have tried this on a couple of different routers with mixed success.
http://tomatousb.org - I have a custom made version of tomato running on an Asus N66 router. This is connected to my ADSL modem. The Asus is configured with OpenVPN UK VPN. TV, Sky decoder, NAS are all connected via wire and tablets, smartphones, laptop and media player via wireless.

Not sure that I agree with you regarding the VPN protocols however. Actually, it's not correct. I have streamed live BBC iPlayer with PPTP, L2TP and OpenvPN without any problems. In fact, L2TP uses double encapsulation as opposed to PPTP, therefore in theory is slower than PPTP because of the extra security. So PPTP would be faster than L2TP therefore better for streaming.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Nellybell is a jewel in the roughNellybell is a jewel in the roughNellybell is a jewel in the roughNellybell is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by duffer
Hello Jim,

You may be able to hook up your Humix to your existing router and setup your VPN on that without the need to buy a second router. There is free software (firmware to be precise) which can be installed on the router, allowing you to enter your VPN details.

www.dd-wrt.com - I have tried this on a couple of different routers with mixed success.
http://tomatousb.org - I have a custom made version of tomato running on an Asus N66 router. This is connected to my ADSL modem. The Asus is configured with OpenVPN UK VPN. TV, Sky decoder, NAS are all connected via wire and tablets, smartphones, laptop and media player via wireless.

Not sure that I agree with you regarding the VPN protocols however. Actually, it's not correct. I have streamed live BBC iPlayer with PPTP, L2TP and OpenvPN without any problems. In fact, L2TP uses double encapsulation as opposed to PPTP, therefore in theory is slower than PPTP because of the extra security. So PPTP would be faster than L2TP therefore better for streaming.
Can't get my head around all this computer speak.
A remote control was so much easier to get to grips with ...
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nellybell
Can't get my head around all this computer speak.
A remote control was so much easier to get to grips with ...

Couldn't agree more, althought I fear it's time we learned..:/
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

lilibet will become famous soon enoughlilibet will become famous soon enough

Here too I have lost? All channels ITVs from today BBC from last week in Friuli. Do I wait as Duffy suggests for automatic tuning/tweeking or could I do it manually? Any intelligent suggestions that a layman/woman could understand much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.