British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Banking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/banking-860279/)

Suexpat Jun 17th 2015 2:24 pm

Banking

We are having trouble with our Italian bank as we cannot do online banking with this bank for some reason and they will not send us statements. Can anyone recommend their bank and have had good customer service. Many thanks

Pinco Pallino Jun 17th 2015 3:11 pm

Re: Banking

Originally Posted by Suexpat (Post 11677536)
We are having trouble with our Italian bank as we cannot do online banking with this bank for some reason and they will not send us statements. Can anyone recommend their bank and have had good customer service. Many thanks

If you're a Unicredit customer and are using Safari as your browser on a Mac you may experience problems with online banking. (Something to do with the 'cache' – no pun intended!) Other browsers (such as Mozilla) will work, as will smartphones, tablets and anything Microsoft.

I had this problem recently (after a number of years without any problem) – and when I pointed out to the customer service agent that it's outrageous that a bank as important as Unicredit can't make its online banking work for Safari users, she replied: "Non dipende da me!"

Suexpat Jun 17th 2015 3:18 pm

We are IntesaSanPaolo and we have tried for years with no luck. Their advise is just do internet banking when in Italy but thats not a lot of help when you don't live in Italy all the time.

heritagestanley Jun 17th 2015 4:58 pm

That's odd. Because we also use SanPaolo and have had no problems at all with their internet banking, which we use both in Italy and while we're back in the UK. The initial set up is a bit complicated; but if you PM explaining where exactly you have problems maybe I can help. I know that you've asked for recommendations for a different bank, but switching can be a hassle!

duffer Jun 19th 2015 7:19 am

No problems either with IntesaSanPaolo (Cassa di risparmio Veneto) or Hello Bank, either in Italy or the UK. Both are free online only accounts although the CR Veneto one still requires you to go to the branch to sign papers, collect bank cards, etc which is a pain and the reason I moved to Hello Bank where everything is done online.

Piquet Jun 20th 2015 6:30 am

We use Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena. Very good online services (works from UK too), and fantastic personal service from our local branch.

BRIAN 1 Jun 22nd 2015 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Piquet (Post 11680088)
We use Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena. Very good online services (works from UK too), and fantastic personal service from our local branch.

hi,we went into our mps branch today to sign up for internet banking.20 page contract later all done.i will say they are a bloody expensive bank.we were clueless 7 years ago when our estate agent signed us up with them.cheers,brian.

Pulaski Jun 23rd 2015 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Piquet (Post 11680088)
We use Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena. Very good online services .....

Presumably that is some sort of newfangled internet-banking start-up outfit. :rolleyes:

carolearly Jun 23rd 2015 6:43 am

we use Banco Di Napoli, they are average. Their fees are quite high though just having the bank account. When we first came we had IW internet bank, we should have stayed with them, aw well

primularossa Jun 23rd 2015 7:17 am

I use Fineco on line (fantastic on line services) since many years, and Banca Popolare Etica for investments of our savings.

On Fineco we keep the salary, payments, credit card and ATM card, we do any bank transfer, we pay taxes and all other expenses with NO problems and NO additional costs, included money withdrowal from any ATM machine in Italy with NO costs.

But for our savings we prefer Banca Etica for 2 reasons: - we don't like to borrow money to banks without knowing how they use our money and whom they finance, while we like to contribute to a better and fair world, and because the investments they do are really solid, as they don't do any financial trick or risky investments.

37100 Jun 23rd 2015 7:35 am

FINECO is part of UniCredit.

primularossa Jun 23rd 2015 8:11 am

if you refer to the problems with Unicredit on line banking mentioned before, FINECO has NO problems with any browser. I use Safari, Firefox or Chrome with NO difference.

37100 Jun 23rd 2015 8:15 am

Originally Posted by primularossa (Post 11682286)
if you refer to the problems with Unicredit on line banking mentioned before, FINECO has NO problems with any browser. I use Safari, Firefox or Chrome with NO difference.

Never mentioned problems. Just stated that it's part of UniCredit. The OP is having problems with IntesaSanPaolo.

Piquet Jun 24th 2015 6:03 am

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1 (Post 11681408)
hi,we went into our mps branch today to sign up for internet banking.20 page contract later all done.i will say they are a bloody expensive bank.we were clueless 7 years ago when our estate agent signed us up with them.cheers,brian.

Ah yes, the 20 page contract. I remember ours with affection, and such tiny, incomprehensible print! We were able to sign our contracts at their offices in London too, before we took possession of our apartment.

I'm not sure how MPS compare cost-wise, but we do get good service and our bank manager is happy to practise her English on us and give us the odd lesson on how to fill out a F24 online etc. Maybe we're just lucky, but I actually don't mind paying the fees as we get a service, unlike some UK banks I won't name!