Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Bank account in English

Bank account in English

Old Nov 23rd 2020, 7:11 am
Just Joined

8wilkinson8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank account in English

Please can anyone recommend a bank to open an account with in Italy, that also has website/app etc in English. I just require a regular bank account that I can also make domestic and international transfers.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank account in English

A tricky one. How many UK banks do you know that have an alternative language? Using a browser such as Google chrome or others with an extension for translation is easy. With most pages you wont even need to translate the page more than a couple of times before you get used to the page. Most browsers you can translate the whole site or you can just translate the page. I no longer have such need, but using Firefox with a translate extension it was a simple case of right click on the page and select "translate page". Personally I would never bank using an app, but I suspect it would be easy enough once used to the site. Watch which you pick as if still the same, it can be costly with some Italian banks in terms of charges.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

Dependds whether you are resident in Italy or the UK. If you're resident in Italy then N26 is a good bet, as it gives you an Italian IBAN despite being a German bank. But if you are resident in the UK they arent allowed to open an account due to brexit. Unicredit now has a technically bilingual website though it leaves something to be desired. You will need to be physically present in italy to open an account with any Italian bank.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Dependds whether you are resident in Italy or the UK. If you're resident in Italy then N26 is a good bet, as it gives you an Italian IBAN despite being a German bank. But if you are resident in the UK they arent allowed to open an account due to brexit. Unicredit now has a technically bilingual website though it leaves something to be desired. You will need to be physically present in italy to open an account with any Italian bank.
Why do you like N26? I never saw an N26 in the street. Does N26 let you have a sterling account?

I agree with Geordieborn about languages. The Unicredit website is pretty easy in Italian.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

8wilkinson8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help. I will be an Italian resident in the next few weeks hopefully, and understand on the translation part. However having come from the Netherlands as my last posting, ABN, ING etc had all sites in english. But no problem. i will reach out to one of the bigger banks to get set up
Old Nov 24th 2020, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

N26 let you have have sterling/euro until Boris ruined everyones lives. Now if you are UK resident you cannot have such accounts. N26 is a great account because it gives you an Italian IBAN so ideal for paying bills, but is totally totally free, and completely online and a german bank. Obviously you can get free cash withdrawals from ATMs etc, so compared to Italian banks, its a winner.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Both Unicredit and Intesa Sanpaolo have websites that are partially avavilable in english but the apps are only limitedly so , ATMs should be avaialble in english . You can no longer open an account with a UK bank if you are resident in Italy but you could probably keep your NL accounts
Old Nov 24th 2020, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
You can no longer open an account with a UK bank if you are resident in Italy but you could probably keep your NL accounts
I don't think this is totally true. Barclays are closing accounts for people resident in Italy, but HSBC are still allowing Italian residents to open an account.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps a little off topic, but if you want to move larger amounts (or may do in the future) apart from checking the terms and conditions for their charges, it's worth checking their limits. A number of people I know have been caught out by this, especially when buying. Just had a need to look at faster payments limits link here in the UK and was quite surprised to see a variation of under 20,000 for some, whereas the previously mentioned Transferwise a whopping £250,000.