Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Australian looking to buy in Cianciana

Australian looking to buy in Cianciana

Old May 5th 2011, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

sicily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian looking to buy in Cianciana

Wow, just looked at my last post and noticed all my spelling mistakes and missed keys.

Sorry its late and its been a loooong week.

david
Old May 6th 2011, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

kabela is an unknown quantity at this point

hahaha, the pros and cons of (hitchhking ) spellcheck and our heavy reliance on it!!
Old May 7th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's so amazing about Cianciana??

I'm an expat living in Siracusa and new to this forum. I stumbled on this long thread about Cianciana and was amazed to find out about all you expats living there who "have come out of the woodwork" as one member said. I have been five years in Sicily and have never heard of this place. A quick search found a 2010 letter from the syndico of Cianciana saying that there were then more than 300 expats there - from rich nations as he pointed out and not from Libya or Tunisia (for a population of 3650).
Could someone tell me why Cianciana is so fashionable? It seems a long way from the low-cost airports at Trapani or Catania. Is if a good idea for an expat like myself to buy in a place where there is such an active expat market? because I prefer it here in Syracuse!
Anyway good luck to all you new buyers.
Old May 7th 2011, 3:33 pm
Hil
Forum Regular

Hil is an unknown quantity at this point

Ciao Siracusa!
Cianciana is just flat out special. It is in fact the people, and I speak of the Ciancianesi. All us 'expats' are pretty genius as well, and we've been so welcome. We've been here for 5 years, and adore it. A bus to the most beautiful beach in Sicily, would make us all even more content. If you'd like to know it, you'll need to visit.
Old May 7th 2011, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

paquita is an unknown quantity at this point

I second that!There is something about the town that just gets under your skin.Lots of people come on holiday there and fall in love with the town then decide to buy.
Its a funky little town and amazing friendly.
The airports we tend to use are Palermo and Trapani. Being near to Palermo is also a plus as there are regular buses there for day trips for designer and flea market shopping.
Its a special,vibrant and fun town.That's all really.
Old May 7th 2011, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry I meant 'amazingly friendly'!lol!!
Old May 8th 2011, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Joe10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't wish to take anything away from the people who have moved to Cianciana, I congratulate them however I'm reading this thread with great interest as to why Cianciana as to hundreds of towns all over Sicily just as beautiful. Perhaps its because 10% of the towns population is English speaking and people find it easier to integrate or because the BBC showed a documentary on the town. Great adversiting and auguri to the sindaco and the people.

My favourite part of Sicily is the the northern part of the Catania province near the border of Messina. You have 360 degree views from Taormina-Giardini Naxos in one direction and the sea in another direction, not to mention Mt Etna (breathtaking) and the moutain rangers opposite. Close to the beach in the summer, close to skiing in the winter, fishing, picnics and castagne picking at Etna Forest, swimming at Gole Alcantara, views of Calabria in the distance, agriturismo - Paradise!

I'm from Australia and heading to Sicily in August I'd might just visit Cianciana to see what all the fuss is about

Joe
Old May 8th 2011, 3:15 am
Just Joined

jaigalliott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Joe10
I don't wish to take anything away from the people who have moved to Cianciana, I congratulate them however I'm reading this thread with great interest as to why Cianciana as to hundreds of towns all over Sicily just as beautiful. Perhaps its because 10% of the towns population is English speaking and people find it easier to integrate or because the BBC showed a documentary on the town. Great adversiting and auguri to the sindaco and the people.

My favourite part of Sicily is the the northern part of the Catania province near the border of Messina. You have 360 degree views from Taormina-Giardini Naxos in one direction and the sea in another direction, not to mention Mt Etna (breathtaking) and the moutain rangers opposite. Close to the beach in the summer, close to skiing in the winter, fishing, picnics and castagne picking at Etna Forest, swimming at Gole Alcantara, views of Calabria in the distance, agriturismo - Paradise!

I'm from Australia and heading to Sicily in August I'd might just visit Cianciana to see what all the fuss is about

Joe
Thanks to all those who have replied since I created this thread. Your advice has been invaluable.

In response to Joe, I think the you're right. I'm sure there are nicer places around, but the fact that one can get by without speaking a great deal of Italian definitely helps. Couple that with the low property prices, the fact that there is a reliable English speaking estate agent in town, and that it is far enough away from things to make it feel like a real 'country' town, yet close enough to Palermo to make getting the luxury items easy, surely has something to do with it.

I haven't yet been able to bring myself to purchase a property in Cianciana. I've decided to purchase a property here in Australia, renovate, then I'll reconsider Cianciana depending on the profit made. Unfortunately, being in my mid-twenties means that I still need to return to my home country for work, given the dire employment situation in Italy, and this makes it a bit difficult because of the high airfares to Australia. However, for those at retirement age, I cannot think of a better way to live out the latter part of one's life. If I had a nest-egg to live off, or some firm employment opportunity, I'd be there in an instant.

I sincerely hope that all those who have made a purchase in Cianciana (many of whom have emailed me privately) enjoy their new lifestyle, and that they will keep in contact.

Cheers,

Jai.
Old May 8th 2011, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Most of us that have bought in Cianciana have travelled all over Sicily in our search,have holidayed in Italy in general over the years and have lived in places like spain and france.
I personally still have a place in very traditional spain as my main home and love it there.
Cianciana,although really lovely,can be surpassed by other places of note but like we cannot really explain,there is something special about it.
It certainly is a traditional town and you do have to speak some italian to get by.
It may be because most of the people that have bought there are a lot younger than say the average expat in spain or france that its retains its funky and fresh feel.Its not a town denuded of its young like so many I have seen.
There are loads in their 20's that have bought and renovated a house there.Not all live there,they come and go as their lives permit.Some off to Uni,some away working etc.
Anyway,August is absolutely the best time to visit Cianciana.Ferrogosto is great fun there so the weeks leading up to the 15th are advisable.
Come see for yourself.
To Jai-all the best with your venture.
Old May 8th 2011, 8:04 am
Hil
Forum Regular

Hil is an unknown quantity at this point

Dearest Paquita,
You always say it so well.
A ci vediamo in Cianciana
(I never did see the TV bit about here. Was it any good?)
Good luck to all.
Old May 8th 2011, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou Hil. : )
The only programme I have seen featured Caccamo and then Cianciana with certain properties for a couple looking for property abroad who turned out to be a couple of time wasters.
They highlighted the town and its attractions but as the programme only made a day trip there it did not show the active nightlife.
I must admit that for me the social and nightlife is what really makes it for me as when I am holiday I love staying up till 4 am regularly!!I love to party!!lol!!
Old May 8th 2011, 8:46 am
Just Joined

My wife and i get by relatively well speaking italian, so it is not the fact that people speak english. Actually, i do not know of anyone besides Joe (myhouse) who spoke to us in English so no it this is not what we found interesting in Cianciana! If you really try to look for the real reason why we found it so interesting, i guess it is very difficult to put your finger on it. The place is a pretty one, yes possibly like others. the people are friendly, again possibly like others, the property prices are probably cheaper so far, so yes this could be a valid positive, the village is close to the sea as well as in the hills thus offering a lovely landscape. the food is great, again like other places, so if all is good and prices are better......the conclusion is pretty obvious that it makes sense to buy here

k
Old May 8th 2011, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Kabela,
I was there in April when you came down.Sorry to have missed you!
There'll be other time though and I hope to see you and your wife soon.
Old May 9th 2011, 8:59 am
Just Joined

I am trying to come to Cianciana from Trapani (using Ryanair). Can anyone provide details of how best to get there using taxis/buses and indicative cost?

Also has anyone rented out cars from Cianciana before? Is there a reliable rental as the ones on the bigger names from Trapani cost an arm and a leg (and possibly a couple of internal organs too)

ohmy:
Old May 9th 2011, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

There are no buses direct to Cianciana from Trapani.You can get an insured taxi service to pick you up by prior arrangement from there for around 100 euros.
The bus service is from Palermo to Cianciana.People have been known to fly to Trapani and take the bus from Trapani to Palermo then the bus from Palermo to Cianciana.
Its much easier to fly to Palermo if you are thinking of coming as cheaply as possible as it is only around 8.80 euros from there to Cianciana.There is a bus from Palermo airport to Palermo bus/train station which is 5.80 euro.
You can hire cars from each airport at a dailt rate of between 25 and 40 euros a day,i am told,depending on the season and the car.
I hope that helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.