Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance!!!

Health Insurance!!!

Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

cottonbud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance!!!

Can anyone help with the subject of Health Insurance. We have recently moved to Le Marche and will be applying for residency shortly. However i am a little confused regarding the health insurance thats needed to get your residency. We have 2 small children and obviously want to make sure were covered should the need arise. I did get a quote from Bupa and was shocked at the price. Any advise appreciated regarding the subject and also the best places to get quotes.
Many thanks from a confused mum
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Ed Foley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance!!!

Hi
I am really not sure about health insurance required for residency. I realise that my situation is different because I have a company pension although I am not yet a state pensioner in the UK. I went to my local commune with an E106 and proof of income and was given my residency card ( after a visit by the local vigili.) I then went to the the doctor in the village who was happy to take me if I first cleared it with a nearby Ufficio Sanatario. As a result I received my blue health card in the post. No-one ever asked me to take out additional health insurance.

However, I was with BUPA already and asked them for an International quote. I also asked Aviva and AXA for a quote. Both came in at about half the price of BUPA. I also spoke to the local Allianz representative in the village who gave me a quote that was about a third of AXA etc. The only difference as far as I could make out was that if I was taken ill AXA and Aviva would repatriate me to a private hospital in the UK whilst Allianz would treat me in a private hospital in Italy. I am sure there are cheaper Italian options but I haven't followed them up.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:52 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know much about health insurance at all but if it helps to put your mind at rest as a mother I do know that you are all guaranteed medical asistance even without residency for things such as :

health assistance that is urgent and cannot be deferred. This includes health
assistance relevant to safeguarding the health of minors and pregnancy and immunisation.

If (and I hope not) any of you need treatment at A&E you will not be refused, your kids are gauranteed vaccines and you should be able to see a pediatrician if they have anything contagious.

There are more over the counter medicines available now in Italy but prescriptions are needed for things like antibiotics.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:34 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Cottonbud,
I have just done the residency thing and did not need to have health insurance, just proof of earnings and passport. As always (well 99.9% of the time anyway) Lorna's information is spot on (Smart arse)
Regards Kenny
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Whenever I go to ASL to register with a doctor (they make me go every year to make sure we are still here) they seem really keen to know where we pay our taxes. Just because you are able to register at the comune this not automatically mean that ASL will accept you without further information.

Lorna - when I was pregnant here the first time I couldn't get any care without all the documentation. I could have given birth no questions asked, but that was all. This was four years ago so may have changed. And as with anything I know it depends where you live.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

karenitaly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cottonbud
Can anyone help with the subject of Health Insurance. We have recently moved to Le Marche and will be applying for residency shortly. However i am a little confused regarding the health insurance thats needed to get your residency. We have 2 small children and obviously want to make sure were covered should the need arise. I did get a quote from Bupa and was shocked at the price. Any advise appreciated regarding the subject and also the best places to get quotes.
Many thanks from a confused mum
dont know if this will help but I moved to italy last year to live with my partner, a month later i fell pregnant. Ive had to do all my check-ups privately (which you can imagine is very expensive) You can get a italian health plan if you work in italy for 6 months but if you are not planning on working there is a uk emergency european health card which can give you discount medical care under emergency situations for up to 2 years. Ive really stuggled with all this...
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:05 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenitaly
dont know if this will help but I moved to italy last year to live with my partner, a month later i fell pregnant. Ive had to do all my check-ups privately (which you can imagine is very expensive) You can get a italian health plan if you work in italy for 6 months but if you are not planning on working there is a uk emergency european health card which can give you discount medical care under emergency situations for up to 2 years. Ive really stuggled with all this...
Sorry all folks,

What I posted before about certain aspects of health and prevention being guaranteed is all true ... from the Minister of Health's various websites ................ unfortunately I should have mentioned that nowhere does it say that any of this is free.

Karen in Italy .......... you paid for check-ups and presumably the scans as well but what about blood tests for toxoplasmosis and rubella etc ??
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenitaly
Do you mean the E106 ?
You have to apply at the DWP offices before you leave I think.
But you will only get the two years cover if your previous contributions paid in the UK system are up to date.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:45 pm

From what I have been reading getting the E106 doesn't seem that easy and it seems to be for people still working for a British employer - or self employed and still paying the NHS etc.

And nowhere is it mentioned on any of the official Italian websites.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:29 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Lorna - you've just explained why all the GE people on secondment here in Florence get their healthcare really easily! I remember talk about the E106 now.. I should get Stephen to look into it as he is paying N.I. in the UK with his company.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:35 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe
Cottonbud,
I have just done the residency thing and did not need to have health insurance, just proof of earnings and passport. As always (well 99.9% of the time anyway) Lorna's information is spot on (Smart arse)
Regards Kenny
I have to ask - HOW did you manage this? It was the Anagrafe here in Florence at the Palazzo Vecchio that told me I had to have Private Health Insurance. Have the rules changed yet again??

Hang on - proof of earnings - are you working here?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Jan S is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Just to clarify
I have the E106. I was eligible as a former tax payer in the UK but currently not working and not retired.
There is another form for those retired (but I can't remember the code)
The E106 doesn't last forever.
When you apply the UK will insert on the form how long it's relevant for (mine is to 2010)
After that you can re apply but no guarantee for it to be renewed.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:17 pm
The Original Red Head!

This gets more and more interesting! I looked up the E106 on the DWP site and it does look like it should be the way to go. Can't think why Italy aren't shouting about it! Jan S - have you tried to get into the Italian Health service with it for a GP for example?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
From what I have been reading getting the E106 doesn't seem that easy and it seems to be for people still working for a British employer - or self employed and still paying the NHS etc.

And nowhere is it mentioned on any of the official Italian websites.
HERE
It can be there for up to two years, but it is really only cover till you get into the host countries system.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:42 pm
The Original Red Head!

...and it's just confused me even more!

So can ANYONE, as Jan S suggests and has done, get an E106 and use it to get into the health service here without PHI, if they are not working here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.