Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Anyone in North Italy

Anyone in North Italy

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 10:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in North Italy

Originally Posted by Vincent01
SPAIN ??????????????? you must be kidding Spain couldnt lick Italys boot..
I think they did last night. ;-))
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:27 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donederds
Hi
I moved to Schio, Vicenza at the end of September and was wondering the same thing... I'm already craving to talk to someone properly in English instead of simplified, stilted English. Have come over alone without knowing the language so it's really a big step and experience for me.

Is there any English native speakers near here that fancy a coffee, drink or chat? Or anyone that can teach me some survical Italian?! :0)

Donna
I lived in Schio for 10 years - came out all alone too.
Now I'm in Piovene Rocchette just 10 minutes away.

Don't know if you have a car but I do - also have two kids as well but I'm up for a chat and a drink anytime.

You can PM me if you like and we can organise something.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:31 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
Thanks Carrie for the wonderful link. Maybe the weekend after this I'll pop down there and get some goodies. I'll be able to treat the missus to an English breakfast!

Anyone been to the White Turkey pub in Castelgomberto? It's decked out like an English pub - even with a black cab outside! And a good choice of real beers. It's not very English though - it's too clean and smoke-free!
no cider either !!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:52 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I lived in Schio for 10 years - came out all alone too.
Now I'm in Piovene Rocchette just 10 minutes away.

Don't know if you have a car but I do - also have two kids as well but I'm up for a chat and a drink anytime.

You can PM me if you like and we can organise something.
Lorna you already posted a similar reply to this on 15/04/08!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

shes desperate! LOL!!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:03 am

I know - I only realised this after catching a glimpse of the date that the thread started at a much earlier date than now - and after reading through to the end I was also remined that somebody had told me this Donna girl had gone back home.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

like you said lorna, you need to go out and stock up on the old vino!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:11 am

I know - but it's still a bit early for wine - even for me !!!!!!!!!!

I'm drinking PG Tips right now !
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

juliansdaughter is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I'd have to agree with sands on that one. If I was young, trendy and vibrant (I'm not, I'm a 44 year old spinster who talks to pigeons) I'd be moving to Spain too. As it is I'm moving to Lake Garda because it's quiet and the Germans make everyone go to bed early for marching up mountains in the morning altho having said that Desenzano (where I'm going) attracts lots of well-dressed young Italians at the weekends so it must have some kind of nightlife but, on the other hand, being Italians that could mean a bar with 16 different kinds of water.

Maggie
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:50 am

isn't Desenzano one of the livliest spots around lake garda ???
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

juliansdaughter is an unknown quantity at this point

The centre does fill up on weekend nights in summer but I never found it too bad compared to other places. There's lots of giggling and chattering and endless posing but it's not bad and it doesn't seem to go on too late, at least not for me. My choices were basically Desenzano or Peschiera for somewhere that doesn't close down in winter (Riva is lovely but the idea of Garda was to be near Verona) and of the two I just like Desenzano better. I don't think I would recommend it to the young and trendy though except obviously young, trendy Italians like it, but I dimly remember being young in Italy and trying to find other Brits or Irish to go out with!

Maggie
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juliansdaughter
on the other hand, being Italians that could mean a bar with 16 different kinds of water.

Maggie
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:19 pm
JoC
Just Joined

JoC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I need advise Anyone in North Italy- ADVISE GRAZIE

Originally Posted by Vincent01
Im living in Edinburgh Scotland and looking to purchase a nice apartment within 1- 1.1/4 hours drive of Malpensa airport.
Can anyone recommend a fantastic town/ city/ with pleanty to do and also fantastic views of the lakes etc. Young trendy vibrant location would be as welcome as possible.
Iam hoping to spend 4 months a year in Italy with a view to living permanently.
Looking for 2 bed property up to £200K uk sterling .
Its important I can land at Malpensa and drive within rasonable time.
Id consider not just the lakes but a full radius of the Malpensa airport in Northern Italy.
Can anyone put me wise on any "Pros and Cons /positives and negaitives " and if anyone would like to share thier expoeriences of buying a home in Italy Id be delighted to hear.

Best regards
Vincent
My family and I (from Perthshire) live beside Lake Como, Griante (fantastic tranquil village). There are lots of lovely villages around the lakes. It took us approx 1 hour to drive to Malpensa (but if traffic is bad, then it does take a lot longer - especially when all the tour buses get stuck on the narrow parts of the road around the lake!)
Anyway, Como would be your best bet if you are looking for more shops/nighlife - not sure if there are lots of night clubs there or not, although a lot of people from Como go to the Lido di Lenno night club which is open until 4.30 am-ish. Lovely,right beside the lake and seemingly has a really good restaurant too. Maybe Lecco would also be ok as it is one of the larger places around he lakeside (although I have only been there twice) If you are looking to buy try www.7bestinvest.com - I know that there are also apartments for sale in Laglio - Regina Residences I think is the name of them.
My friend also has a property that she is selling in Varenna not quite sure of the price though. Hope this has been of some help.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:37 am
Just Joined

sarahghislaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gaellejo
hi phoebe,

are you still in verona ?? i'm in verona since 3 months with my husband , i'm french (i visited glasgow by the way ...) and i would be interested into meeting expats
see you
gaelle
Hi gaelle (and all you others!)

My name's Sarah and I'm moving to Verona end August, (going to be teaching English at the Aleardo school) and don't know anyone at all! I'm doing it on a total whim, I'm from Scotland too like Phoebe but am moving from Granada in Spain where I've lived for the past 7 years (by the way, yes it IS young and vibrant but the lack of contact with the exterior modern world gets to you after a while!)...Someone said Spain couldn't lick Italy's boot which made me laugh! They are most definitely very, very different people - Italians from what I have seen so far are LOVELY and I can't wait to go over! Unfortunately I speak no Italian at all so I'd love some English speaking friends! Can I join in on your little community? I am moving into the tinniest study apartment known to man and will need to be outside quite a lot I think!

Sarah x
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

amborg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cryout
I am sorry for you guys...North of Italy (and Italy in general) is not a great place live...

I am Italian and currently struggling to get the Canadian PR status, if you need any information and I can help you out with something let me know!
I know this is off topic, but Cryout have you been successful in getting Canadian PR status?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.