British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Anyone in North Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/anyone-north-italy-277656/)

squareroot Jan 15th 2005 10:37 am

Anyone in North Italy

Hi I am living in bergamo for a year or so to try and learn the language.Just seeing if there are any other people out there.

tephlon-don Apr 13th 2005 5:53 pm

Re: Anyone in North Italy

Originally Posted by squareroot
Hi I am living in bergamo for a year or so to try and learn the language.Just seeing if there are any other people out there.

yep, can tell you at least ten other english in area, what u doin over here anyways

cryout Apr 25th 2005 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by tephlon-don
yep, can tell you at least ten other english in area, what u doin over here anyways

I am sorry for you guys...North of Italy (and Italy in general) is not a great place live...

I am Italian and currently struggling to get the Canadian PR status, if you need any information and I can help you out with something let me know! ;)

stiv Jul 12th 2005 5:18 am

Originally Posted by cryout
I am sorry for you guys...North of Italy (and Italy in general) is not a great place live...

...I've been living in the North of Italy (Torino) for a year & a half now & compared to grey, dreary, overpriced Britain, it IS a great place. Sometimes you don't know what you've got till you leave it....

faronhof Aug 1st 2005 1:57 pm

I'm based near venice, been out here 5 years married to an italian girl

Mardor Aug 4th 2005 7:09 pm

I am Italian, temporary living in Canada and I agree...ITALY IS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE. You just have to adapt a bit to our "funny" way to live... :)

Originally Posted by faronhof
I'm based near venice, been out here 5 years married to an italian girl

Fitz750 Aug 24th 2005 7:46 pm

Are you learning Bergamasc or Italian ? ;)

Unfortunately i am no longer living in Bergamo but if you check out http://groups.msn.com/expatsinitaly/general.msnw they have meets for expats in the Milano area.

Hope this helps.

susiq Jul 1st 2006 5:16 am

Wow, glad to hear that you love it so much in northern italy as thats where we are planning to go in about 2 years. we have to wind the business down here in france before we can go, and sell all the houses, land etc (builders, can you tell lol).

all that we know is we want to be 1 hour approx from a decent sized town, but need somewhere rural as have horses/goats etc, and 3 large dogs that need their play ground, oh, and my son lol. also i plan to get llams when we move :D (need my head read lol)

also good to hear that the prices are decent. here in france they are awful, well no better than the UK. house rental may be cheaper, BUT you are stung for all maintance i mean all, re painting even though there is no need re finishing the stairs (ghat you are suposed to hover on lol). the house prices are good though, even though on the up seriously. we've been here over 3 years and wanted to leave after 6 months, but wanted to give it a fair go here. and have decidede that we have now, and giving it 2 more years to get things sorted look into buying our new house/land etc and re fresh my italian, i haven't spoken any in 15 years, and then it was basic. so an italioan course is sought asap

anyway, i'll stop waffling now

susi

kooki Aug 18th 2006 1:07 pm

Hi there,

I might be coming to live there next month. - In fear of hi-jacking the thread, I posted a new one just incase, and any advice on that would be great help!!!

:D

jessicabrogan Oct 12th 2006 1:27 pm

Hello. I don't live in Italy...I live in Switzerland. I am coming to visit italy and i too would like to know if there's anyone out there...anyone who would be willing to tell me where to go, have a coffee, tell me about living in italy and real life. I don't just want to hostel hop, I want to meet people. I posted a thread myself on the forum discussion.

Hope your life is well, bellissima.

MattWat Oct 13th 2006 9:20 am

I think Northern Italy is a great place.
My little sis did her year abroad from uni in Bergamo and I visited plenty of times. Loved the place. Nearly as nice as Urbino where I did my year abroad lol.
Bergamo has so many good bars and restaurants you can't fail to have a good time.
Jessica shame me and the wife aren't living over there permanently yet you would have been more than welcome to a sofa and we are only a hop over the border in the Aosta Valley. If you are still in Switzerland when we move next year (April) then feel free. Same goes for you Stiv if you fancy a quick journey up the autostrada for the wkend.
All in all as much as I love northern england, at the moment I would cut off my right leg to be in northern italy.
Might make skiing a bit more of a challenge though
Matt

Donederds Oct 14th 2006 11:25 am

Hi
I moved to Schio, Vicenza at the end of September and was wondering the same thing... I'm already craving to talk to someone properly in English instead of simplified, stilted English. Have come over alone without knowing the language so it's really a big step and experience for me.

Is there any English native speakers near here that fancy a coffee, drink or chat? Or anyone that can teach me some survical Italian?! :0)

Donna

jessicabrogan Oct 14th 2006 2:20 pm

Donna,
What brings you to italy alone? Survival italian is probably best learned at the bars. Are you taking a language course?

I don't live there, but in Mid November I'm trying to plan a trip. Perhaps we could have a coffee, explore a little then.

Originally Posted by Donederds
Hi
I moved to Schio, Vicenza at the end of September and was wondering the same thing... I'm already craving to talk to someone properly in English instead of simplified, stilted English. Have come over alone without knowing the language so it's really a big step and experience for me.

Is there any English native speakers near here that fancy a coffee, drink or chat? Or anyone that can teach me some survical Italian?! :0)

Donna

jessicabrogan Oct 14th 2006 2:35 pm

I did my year abroad in Rome, but as it went, there were too many short weekend trips to other countries and not enough time soaking up italy. I hope you get to make it over next year!

Originally Posted by MattWat
I think Northern Italy is a great place.
My little sis did her year abroad from uni in Bergamo and I visited plenty of times. Loved the place. Nearly as nice as Urbino where I did my year abroad lol.
Bergamo has so many good bars and restaurants you can't fail to have a good time.
Jessica shame me and the wife aren't living over there permanently yet you would have been more than welcome to a sofa and we are only a hop over the border in the Aosta Valley. If you are still in Switzerland when we move next year (April) then feel free. Same goes for you Stiv if you fancy a quick journey up the autostrada for the wkend.
All in all as much as I love northern england, at the moment I would cut off my right leg to be in northern italy.
Might make skiing a bit more of a challenge though
Matt

Donederds Oct 16th 2006 6:42 pm

Hi Jessica

I've come over to teach English. Was getting stagnant in my way of life back home and needed a change. The plan is to stay here for a couple of years, get some experience and go home and start teaching there. But who know's what'll happen realistically!

If you're coming over this way meeting up would be great. I'm near Vicenza in a town called Schio but let me know where you're likely to be and i'll see if I can get there.

Thanks for replying. Good to know there are people out there willing to help!

Ciao Donna